Car finance & moving to Gib

Hi All,

This is my first post. I was looking through the forum but couldn't find an answer to this.

I was offered a job in Gibraltar and we're looking to move in August. The problem we have, is what to do with our cars from the UK!
We both have cars that were recently bought on car finance (within last 6 months) and have 3+ years left remaining on our contracts.

After working out our income & outgoings we could afford easily to keep the cars and continue paying for them, but not sure about the upfront costs. I've seen on other posts that importing can be upto 35% of the car value?

Questions:
What options do I have ?
Can I bring the car/s to Gibraltar if they're on finance? or Would I need to hand them back to the deal / finance company?

How much does it typically cost for shipping a car? Would I need to import it to Gibraltar (guessing this isn't possible if still under a finance agreement)?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I do not see any problem in importing your cars into Gib even on finance, but that would depend more on your finance company rather than Gib. Not sure what happens in UK now? is your name in the log book?

Try asking  https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/driver … department

Transportation ?  Why not drive down ?

Importation is compulsory if you live here for any length of time ( 6 months or more I believe ) or work here

Import Duty will be charged on the local customs valuation and should be along the lines of the secondhand UK value ( Glass's Guide )less UK taxes, however some customs officers valuation are very fair.

Thanks for the reply, really helpful..

Yes, apparently some finance companies are more flexible than others so I'll speak to them this week. My name is in the log book.

I never thought of driving.. looking into it, and calculating fuel and tolls, only comes upto around £250 which is pretty good - plus I'd get to visit some good places on the way :-)

Grumpy, regarding "Importation is compulsory if you live here for any length of time ( 6 months or more I believe ) or work here" ... I will be living in Gib from the first day I arrive, does that mean it needs to be imported on that day? Or can I import the car at the 6 month mark?

Thanks for your help

I believe you are supposed to import straight away, but many do not.

Also you cannot own a Gib registered car until you are resident and have an address / paperwork which will take a little time.

Nobody will check up on you unless you really upset someone, but of course an English registered car will be noticed eventually.epecially if parked in the same place regularly.

Question also is how long do you intend to live out here and do you really want a RHD car here?

Well I'm hoping for life if things go to plan.. I'm moving with family and have a permanent job in IT. We've been before and always wanted to live in Gib.

I don't plan on using the car at all during the week, but would do for trips at the weekend

What's the issue with having a RHD in Gib? I've not really thought about that being a problem so far..

Thanks

michaelw2010 wrote:

What's the issue with having a RHD in Gib? I've not really thought about that being a problem so far..

Thanks

The same as having a RHD car anywhere in a LHD country.

Similarly having a LHD car in UK

Other than it being awkward at first for me, would there be any implications on insurance? importing? maintenance? etc

Not that I know of

But I do consider being in the wrong seat can be dangerous.especially when overtaking due to lack of view.

An old work colleague would agree with that but unfortuately he is no longer with us.

Hi Michael
Very interesting converstion, ive been considering gib for over 2 years, and have same queries.
But sorry to change the subject, I ve been an IT pro for 10 years and wondered how you got the job?
ive been looking at recruitgibraltar website and thinkspain website and castlehill for ages, only 1st line jobs really. I have a ccna cert but no real experience in networking, just general IT.

Regards

Hi Tony
EyeSpy recruitment in Irish town are pretty good - try speaking to them and ask for advice on any suitable jobs

Hey,

I know this was a few years ago, but wondering did you manage to import? Did Gib do a HOI check or ask about finance?

Cheers