Living in Costa Rica

Can you truly live comfortably on $1500-$2000 per month or is that just existing. If so, what area can you live for that much money?
  • How hard is it to get your pet there?
  • Is it expensive to have your car shipped over?
  • Is it easy to network with other expats?

Can you truly live comfortably on $1500-$2000 per month or is that just existing. If so, what area can you live for that much money?
It will vary depending on your life style and where you choose to hang your hat.  It will depend upon how you eat and how many ties your food has to Canada and the USA.  It will also depend on the type of accommodations you choose.  You will need to be a bit more specific.

• How hard is it to get your pet there?
We brought two cats, it was easy but they flew with us.  If you need a broker it is more complicated.

• Is it expensive to have your car shipped over?
Yes, but if you buy a car here the duty and shipping is factored in.  It will be a major expense.

• Is it easy to network with other expats?
Again, depending on where you end up, it will be your choice.

We love it here and this is where we will expire.

Cheers .... Terry

Hello Jenkin,  Don't ship a car, it's not worth the hassle, and the import taxes will blow you away.  Suzuki in San Jose has a small car called an Alto, you can get it brand new for about $13,000 (and Suzuki has a good warranty).  It's hard to tell a dog lover not to bring one here.  Two imported dogs in this area went down, one from a snake bite, and a crock took the other one, and almost the owner also "who was hanging on to the leash".  The amount need to live on depends on their life style, and what type of home you rent.  Many people were living here in just Social Security at one time, but the high cost of electric and groceries drove some of them back to North America.  If you use AC and dine out you will need all of $2,000 a month.  Make sure you show a pension of just over $1,000 when you apply for status, as your CAJA premiums are based on how much you declare when you apply for status.  One couple who reported amazing pension income when they applied for Pensionado status ended up with a monthly health care premium of nearly $700. per month.  They now live in Belize, and I have no idea how they went about cancelling their status in Costa Rica.

We have NUMEROUS people in our community with pets from Canada and the US.  All are healthy and thriving and yes one of the (about 16) was bitten by a snake and is in great shape.  There are no "crocks" anywhere near where we live.  There are five types of residencies to be considered available here.  Two are not really practical but they are there for you to see.  The car will be your choice, if you buy here and are not informed you may be purchasing a hurricane wreck from the USA.  We did purchase our car here but did bring a Yamaha Rhino with us from Canada.  DO NOT listen to hype good or bad, do your homework and visit here first hand and talk to people who have made the transition

This is a video which was made by a lawyer in Costa Rica.
He explains very clearly about what you can expect to pay for importing a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9yNKnJ5ZZ8

Another killer of dogs are the frogs.
http://www.american-european.net/articl … n-371.html

Whether you rent, buy, or build a home in Costa Rica "you could suffer from water shortage", especially in location north of Jaco.  The dry season is so long in the northern parts of Costa Rica that the leaves actually fall off the trees, and you may find your water supply being shut off every night at 8pm or earlier.  Before renting, buying, or building it is wise to check if there are water supply problems in the area, as even the most luxurious developments suffer such shortages.  This video shows a solution for those who are buying or building.
http://casasenescazu.com/2137/rainwater … and-costs/

Edward1958 wrote:

This is a video which was made by a lawyer in Costa Rica.
He explains very clearly about what you can expect to pay for importing a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9yNKnJ5ZZ8

Edward,

Why on earth do you live here???  You don't seem to have anything positive to contribute and most of what you state is inaccurate.  I've stopped reading and posting here simply because of you make it an unpleasant experience.

- Dave

Dave;
One thing you will notice, and can expect, is a 3rd person UTube video.  Never a first hand experience.

TerrynViv wrote:

Dave;
One thing you will notice, and can expect, is a 3rd person UTube video.  Never a first hand experience.

Very good point.  ...and oh so true.

Hello Expatdave -  Someone asked about import duties "maybe you missed it".
This lawyer provides the best explanation that was available.. "does this lawyers factual explanation bother you"?
Are you one of the expats who live a life of denial?

Now even Costa Rica lawyers who have full knowledge of export costs are being called liars.... geeeese!

Edward1958 wrote:

Now even Costa Rica lawyers who have full knowledge of export costs are being called liars.... geeeese!

I'm not calling anyone a liar.  Where did you get that?  Simply put, what I have said is shippingcr.com ships for $4.50 per pound, $650 per pallet.  There are no additional costs.  Does not matter what you ship or when you ship it - that is the price.

Why do you insist on arguing about something you no nothing about.  I've shipped very literally hundreds of times with them and that is the cost.  I know many other Gringos have as well.  Short complex???

This sure does look like a first hand experience to me.
Added note: This Gringo restaurant owner is now back in the states, licking his wounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnYyvb482k0

Any chance you will be joining him?

I had a feeling the full interview with the factual evidence would irritate you.

On the contrary, you seem so much unhappier than the video I was hoping you would take it to heart.  I hate to see someone stuck here with no alternatives other than to reach out.  I truly hope that you can find a better spot in your life.  No one person deserves to be so miserable.  Very sorry for your predicament.  Perhaps you could contact the Canadian Embassy.  They have a program to help people that have become detached from Canada and are struggling.  Best of luck.

Educating wanna be expats about the truth of life in Costa Rica is my part time hobby, and through many private messages a lot of people have thanked me for notifying them about the true living conditions here.  Michael and DeAngelo have been stepping in to verify that the information I provide is the "absolute truth".  http://travelcostaricanow.com/index.php/Main_Page

The two of them make money from their videos. They are well established (and again making money).  If you need help in getting out I again refer you to the Canadian Embassy.  Please do not be in denial as your there are some of us that will offer help.

Hello TerryNvin -

After our missionary work in Holguin Cuba (from 1979 to 2011), we took on an assignment here with a local school and church, as we could not properly retire in Cuba "which is something you should know as a Canadian".  Our sponsors in Canada would stop contributing to our mission here if we left, and to abandon these children would be a crime against humanity.  If you want photographic evidence of of what we are doing here I'd be very happy to send it to you.  "Sorry, but I have to stay here in Costa Rica".

Ok I feel I've seen enough of the catty, smart mouth comments Edward.
... For 25 years my husband and I have lived within a half mile of where alligators reside and have never heard of anyone or their dogs being eaten by them.
... We also have frogs that if a dog eats one it will make him sick and throw up.
... In 2011 we had the worst drought we have had in 60 years.
These are not things we worry about.
So if you would please post your information on another blog.
Thanks,
Jenken

Hi Jenken,
Why would the truth make you so hostile?  There are many crock attacks in Costa Rica every year "and both humans and dogs are victims", you know that right?  http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/03/11/cro … -tamarindo
This frog, that exists in Costa Rica and Panama can kill a dog with one lick, you know that right?
http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php … 0820155180
What is it with so many expats living in denial about what is happening here in Costa Rica?

Someone who found your post amusing just sent me this link via a private message and suggested I post it.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/04/30/sea … costa-rica

Edward... Let it go!!

Hello Jenken,
You are absolutely correct, it's best to let it go, "and I will", unless denialists pounce on me for being absolutely truthful.

I recommend Palmares if you want a mild weather and a relaxed town. Not too many foreigners but the town is nice, 35 miles from San Jose, 20 miles from the airport. I lived on the beach for 10 years and it is getting too hot and it is more expensive.

My wife and I live in the Tamarindo area and currently spend about $2,000 per month including rent and utilities.

For one Costa Rica is the most expensive Central American country to live in..... It is not impossible to live on 1500-2000 but realize you will not live high on the hog..   You will have to watch what you spend and live more like a tico....Furnished homes are renting from 500 up and depends on area you live in...    Imported foods are twice the amount you pay in US. Peanut butter for example medium jar 6 dollars food can be expensive here and is no saving except vegetables and they to are going up.    Plus you have a lack of selection of variety here.   You eat what there is not the abundance of the US..     Importing a car here is outrageous expensive. better to purchase car here and they are not cheep....  and they hold there value.. Gas is expensive over 5 dollars... so for any one visit see and if you can cut back and make do with less sure you can live but in many ways Costa Rica is more expensive than the USA... do your home work carefully and do not belief all you hear....My self I am returning to states as I find it in many places there less expensive to live and more to offer