How safe is Nairobi to work

I've been offered a job in Nairobi. Many here tell me that it is not a safe country to live. Specially after sun set. I'm to work as a business manager. If some one could advice me on the ground realities of Kenya, about the safety I would be thankful. I would travelling with my wife and my 1 year old daughter.

Hello richpaul.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon get some feedbacks from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Nairobi is a pretty safe place...there alot of blog posts addressing this issue but the bottom line is --yes like any other city, there are certain places you dont want to be at..other than that, you are free to walk around, run, ride a bike, sit at the park and read a book, do your shopping, have a barbecue...all in peace...its the reason why many international companies put up their african offices in nairobi :) Welcome to Nairobi!

My family and I have returned to Nairobi after 12 years.  The picture has changed.  Nairobi is much safer, comparing to what it use to be.  One of the reason for this is that living habits have changed.  Unfortunately, city has got many more apartment buildings - loosing green areas, but increasing security of living.
As "Almasi2012" said - you need to know where you should go, and where you should not.  As long as you know that - you are safe.
12 Years ago you wanted to be at home as soon as dark comes, but now you have 24 hrs shopping and much more crowd outside at night ...
Safe.

You should always mistrust advice over a location from people who are not currently living there, and also when did they visit it, and in what terms (tourist, worker, etc.)

Any place can be unsafe if the person does not hold the right habits and visits the wrong places at the wrong hours. 

In my experience since 2006 Nairobi is not particularly more unsafe than any other location, it depends a lot of the area you work and life, if you frequent places at night, if you display wealth ostentatiously, and a long etc.  but I cannot recommended it as a bad place to life to anybody. IN your advice tons of positive elements about the country, the weather, the living and the people are also missing. 

if it is a good job i wouldn't hesitate a second, good luck!

victor

Thank u all for the posts to my topic. will encourage few more suggestions.

Hello,

Nairobi is no more dangerous (in my opinion) than large cities anywhere, provided that you apply common sense and basic caution.   You shouldn't walk around at night, and there are certain areas to avoid.   You shouldn't flash your wallet or cellphone around to attract attention in public places.   (However, this is true in Detroit and areas of LA and New York!)

I'm here with my wife and daughter, and I think it's reasonably safe, as long as you're careful and aware.

My opinion, at least.

Cheers!

richpaul wrote:

I've been offered a job in Nairobi. Many here tell me that it is not a safe country to live. Specially after sun set. I'm to work as a business manager. If some one could advice me on the ground realities of Kenya, about the safety I would be thankful. I would travelling with my wife and my 1 year old daughter.

Hi

I am living in Nairobi for last 13yrs, no need to worry.  It is safer than Chennai and will be fun too.

yep, depending on where you will be leaving, there are places that are very safe. others, you will need to be home by 16.00 hours, lol.

Nairobi is safe, do not need to worry. But it also depends on where you stay. also you need to follow some rules to avoid problems.
Like showing off your stuffs on street:- people may follow you and rob you.
Showing off your expensive stuffs and money in front of maid:- you wont know when you will miss your things.
Showing off in front of your driver:- he may give your information to bad people, and you will be robbed.

Before Christmas and elections it would be more worst.
I only faced trouble once, my maid stole my 500$. Out side i never experienced any trouble. But most of my friends were robbed outside.
So depends on you, how cautious you are for your things.

Relax, and get here, if you haven't already. Being an expat there's little chance you will live in some unsafe neighborhood. Its pretty safe and there's a huge expat community to testify to that not to mention a very beautiful and friendly country. If you need someone to show you round you can always get in touch.

thank you for ur post , i was worried about the safety, now im little confident..thanks

R u sure I am also going to their . Nairobi is better place to live ?