Moving to New Delhi - end of September

Hi! I am Italian, from Milan.
I am moving to India (Gurgaon, New Delhi) at the end of September.
I have never been in India, so any suggestion would be more than welcome!
Thank you very much!

what type of suggestion you want.

I have never been to india, so everything could be usefull to me.
I would like to know how to reach New Delhi from Gurgaon, which is the best sim card I can buy.
How is to live in New Delhi? Is it safe to go out alone during the day?
What is the best way to go around New Delhi (taxi, bus,...).
Thank you very much!

Hello ninfea, ur question is  Is it safe to go out alone during the day? yes it is safe to go out during the day but not in the night though you are going out in the night with your male or female friends

Thank you for your reply!

Don't worry I will be there to accompany you in the same journey lol. Moving back to delhi for a bit

hi Ninfea,
the best way to commute from Gurgaon to Delhi is by metro train, its quick, cheap and clean.
Even inside Delhi metro is the best way to travel, and for small distances you can take autorikshaw.
about safety, yes its safe during the day but at night its always good if you go out with friends.
about mobile sim, there are plenty of choices from Airtel to Vodafone and being in capital city their service should be good.
there are plenty of music fest keep happening in Delhi so its a good place to be.
hope this info will help a bit.
take care
Regards
Iqbal

Be safe always in Delhi....Hope you should have read the recent articles about Delhi....

Carry your wallet in an inside jacket pocket or side trouser pocket, never in the rear pocket.

Carry credit cards and minimal cash in your pockets.

Leave valuables and important papers, such as jewelry and passports, secured in your hotel's safe deposit box. Never leave these items unattended in your room or carry large sums of cash on your person.

Be wary of unexpected persons coming to your hotel room. Never open the door to unsolicited room service or maintenance people. Contact the front desk if you have any doubts.

If you schedule a meeting with a potential client, research the company and the individual with whom you are meeting. Meet in a public place, such as a restaurant.

Make sure that luggage is only given to a member of the hotel's bell staff and a receipt is issued for stored luggage. Never leave luggage or other expensive items, unattended at airports or taxi stands.

Kindly contact on counter "May I help you" available in "Arrival Hall" at airport for help and guidance.

Prefer pre-paid Taxi Booth for hired transportation, since it is governed by DELHI TRAFFIC POLICE.  In this system you have to pay in advance for Taxi Fare which is already approved by Delhi Transport Authority, Govt. of India for each destination in Delhi.

Adequate number of police officers are deputed in proper uniform outside the Arrival Hall and parking area.  You can contact the nearest police officer to report about any undesirable elements and touts that you come across at the airport. Delhi Police keeps a check on these undesirable elements and touts at the airport. Active participation from the tourists in this drive is desired.

In addition to above, police officers in plain clothes are also deputed to keep watch on suspicious movements. 

Preplan your destination in Delhi regarding your stay and tourism in Delhi.  Never take advice of Taxi Drivers regarding your stay/tour in Delhi.  Please follow the information given by Police Officers at the "May I help you" counter, or any other Govt. recognised information Centres like Delhi Tourism, DTC, etc.

If you face any harassment or law and order problem in Delhi, you can dial 100 number from the nearest telephone for police assistance.

Take proper care of their travel documents during their stay in india.

Hi, Only when we meet and interact than only we can known each other better. Once we find like minded people than only we can make life long friends. Good to know u I have just moved in Manesar (Near Gurgaon) and I find this place quite pleasing and safe. I am looking for friends to do something together like eat, drink and have fun. I am accommodating reliable and cheerful. If interested, get in touch. Everything I wish is only if we got acquainted into real life.  if U LIKE TO BE CONECTED WITH ME, my email id is badoo.336[at]rediffmail.com  I would be happy of any help to expats visiting or living in Delhi/NCR in my home country INDIA

RAJESHJI wrote:

Hi, Only when we meet and interact than only we can known each other better. Once we find like minded people than only we can make life long friends. Good to know u I have just moved in Manesar (Near Gurgaon) and I find this place quite pleasing. looking for friends to do something together like eat, drink and have fun. I am accommodating reliable and cheerful. I believe in the principle of trust and maturity between two mature adults. If interested, get in touch at 9968058690 Love is like an exotic fruit which you can't find everywhere, but which you want to taste very much. What do you think about this? Everything I wish is only if we got acquainted into real life.

if U LIKE TO BE CONECTED WITH ME, my email id is badoo.336[at]rediffmail.com  I would be happy of any help to expats visiting or living in Delhi/NCR in my home country INDIA

Love, interaction, mobile number , trust and maturity = dating site (but expat-blog is not :))

Word! !!

ok

Welcome!

Gurgaon is a nice well developed suburb. I'm also living in Gurgaon at present. Few useful tips:

Weather:
Now to November: pleasant. December - February: quite cold: woolen clothing / room heaters are required. March-June: hot to very hot with high humidity.  July-Aug: Occasional rainstorms. Humidity reaching 100% at times.

Drinking water:
Tap water is safe : but you are advised to use RO filter. Drink branded bottled water while on travel. Never drink water from unknown sources/vendors.

Medical facility:
Good hospitals are available. A reliable medical insurance is strongly recommended. Malaria, dengue  and water-born disease are common.

Road traffic:
Generally bad and undisciplined and unruly.  Vehicles move from all directions. A local driver is recommended initially,  until you get used to this. Beware of stray animals.

Dress code: 
Mostly informal unless specifically mentioned.  You will see in a formal gathering people with 3 piece suite, informal, casual and sometimes even on shorts and t-shirts!

Law & Order:
Generally safe. Do not visit unknown places alone after dark.  General precaution is advised.

Pubs/restaurants/cinemas: 
Right place for international cuisine and good cinema halls. Watch for spice level while ordering Indian food. Generally Indian food & curry are very hot and spicy.

Public libraries:
Unfortunately there are no good public libraries that I have come across.

Public transport:
Only metro rail is reliable - but mostly it is crowded.

Taxi service:
Radio taxis are efficient and reliable. Payment on meter charges.

Three wheeler:
Very convenient for short hops. But always negotiate the price before hiring.  Note down the registration number.   Be careful while engaging one at night or after dark, OR avoid engaging one at night if possible.   

Best wishes.

Why do you wanna stay in Gurgaon .. when you have to travel to New Delhi ..
New Delhi is better to stay .. so you can have less of travelling ..

Stay any place near to Metro .. so that you can commute using Metro . which is best mode of travelling .. and also SAFE as well.

If you still have decided to stay in Gurgaon .. then you can travel by metro .. from Huda City Centre Gurgaon to Delhi .. it takes around 50 minutes to Central place like CP.

There is a separate coach (first coach from front)which is reserved only for ladies .. you can choose that to travel in begning till you get familiar ..

SIM : Vodafone or Airtel both are okay ..

regards
Ronnit
[email protected]

Delhi is well stocked with places to stay, though prices have risen steeply in recent years – the days of ₹100 rooms are long gone. It's wise to book in advance, as popular places can fill up in a flash, leaving new arrivals easy prey for commission sharks. Call or email ahead to confirm your booking 24 hours before you arrive. Most hotels offer pick-up from the airport with advance notice. Homestays are becoming an attractive alternative to hotels

Hi Milan... Dont worry, NCR is a very safe. Public trasportation is bad so use private or company provided cabs only. Gurgaon n Delhi both are eating hub for indian so enjoy it. Visit kingdom of dreams in gurgaon, u will enjoy.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

There are good guest houses and Service Appartments in Gurgaon as well in Delhi.. which are not very expensive .... you can try that. sending you a link for one such guest house in gurgaon.

theresidenciainn.com/

I cannot help much but if you need any information you are most welcome..

If you're looking for conveniently-situated, safe, decent and healthy accommodation (especially for women) in Gurgaon-Delhi's green belt, you could get in touch with me: I could give you  details of a charming B&B Homestay on the Delhi-Gurgaon border, which also provides airport pick-up.

I notice you've already received several responses to your queries. Should you have any more queries/unanswered queries, do let me know.

With best wishes for a pleasant and successful stay in Gurgaon.

Hope you've arrived safe and sound in Delhi?

Welcome to India !!

I think Delhi is good living option than Gurgaon . In Delhi , we have good security and transportation . Learning of Hindi is also a good option .

Thx | Manish Jain