A place in the sun malta episode 19/04/15

Gernats wrote:

For me none of the houses in the show were what I would like and there budget was bigger then mine 😳 I have seen a few on Frank Salt so when we are ready I'm sure the perfect home will turn up. Number 1 on my list is to not live near a church, the bells hahahaha can't be doing with that as well as dogs and cock a doodle doo everyday is as much as I'm happy to live with 😃

may i suggest a tent on comino lol no dogs there and no chance of chickens ... and also no churches as malta/gozo have more churches than the population requires there are very few places where you wouldnt get  at least one of those things

Hahahaha I think my chickens would do really well there, all written in jest, I have a country life, it's the rats that make me scratch but we live in farm land by a canal, mossie are the bigger pest. We have to use jungle spray 😳

Just watched this program last night and then compared the shows to the Cyprus one the following week (or should i say day here)

I thought both were fairly representative of the locations.. not sure of prices though as we would never buy so am not too familiar with that side of things  - but as for the residents calling it an id card having been there 8 yrs....and everything is relying on having one ... hmmmm !!!! it may be going that way over time but i thought that was a little remiss of them, but overall its a better show than A Place in The Sun from CH4 - i liked all the properties but thought of dampness and darkness in the houses of character... even thought we recognised the Mellieha property too.... lol...... liked the look of Kalkara, but interestingly no mention of potential parking issues in Rabat and Sliema properties.

as for the Cyprus show it showed our village of Peyia. plus the other places in Tala, Kallepia and Kouklia are fave places of ours.... and that was actually quite accurate - so well done to the team there..... although I just knew he just wasnt interested at all in the business potential of the one in Kallepia..... i think it had fantastic potential 

i did think however that the guys looking were'nt really that serious as their eventual outcome was easily foreseeable as they would / should have known the facts before they ventured into the project as both work, knew they'd have to run down their business and had'nt sold their house....

Overall thanks for the heads up guys.....

Toon wrote:

Just watched this program last night and then compared the shows to the Cyprus one the following week (or should i say day here)

I thought both were fairly representative of the locations.. not sure of prices though as we would never buy so am not too familiar with that side of things  - but as for the residents calling it an id card having been there 8 yrs....and everything is relying on having one ... hmmmm !!!! it may be going that way over time but i thought that was a little remiss of them, but overall its a better show than A Place in The Sun from CH4 - i liked all the properties but thought of dampness and darkness in the houses of character... even thought we recognised the Mellieha property too.... lol...... liked the look of Kalkara, but interestingly no mention of potential parking issues in Rabat and Sliema properties.

as for the Cyprus show it showed our village of Peyia. plus the other places in Tala, Kallepia and Kouklia are fave places of ours.... and that was actually quite accurate - so well done to the team there..... although I just knew he just wasnt interested at all in the business potential of the one in Kallepia..... i think it had fantastic potential 

i did think however that the guys looking were'nt really that serious as their eventual outcome was easily foreseeable as they would / should have known the facts before they ventured into the project as both work, knew they'd have to run down their business and had'nt sold their house....

Overall thanks for the heads up guys.....

the meliha property is on the bus route i think cause i said to matt im sure we have seen that before

no its not.... its on  back road not covered by any bus route AFAIK - unless its the round robin but i didnt think that covered that specific road... i know exactly where it is... and the view they showed from the back was of the mellieha bypass....

Toon wrote:

no its not.... its on  back road not covered by any bus route AFAIK - unless its the round robin but i didnt think that covered that specific road... i know exactly where it is... and the view they showed from the back was of the mellieha bypass....

I just got round to watching both episodes (Malta & Cyprus) last night and I'm with you on the Mellieha property Toon. I actually rewound and paused the program to see if I could work out where it was, and I came to the conclusion that it had to be the Bypass road, looking in a sort of South-Westerly direction. Not sure of the exact location, don't know that specific area too well, but know roughly where it was.

Some of the properties they showed were half decent, I was actually quite surprised, but I wouldn't have bought any of them, I wouldn't buy any property in Malta though. Having seen every program in both series of that show it just reinforced my opinion, property here is so overpriced. And I know too much about the general quality of the builds too, through bad experiences unfortunately.

In the end the couple probably got lucky, with the Mellieha place coming off the market they were forced to rent, probably the wisest decision, even if they didn't realise it at the time.

I have to say Paphos looked way nicer than Malta, I was a bit envious of you watching that one Toon. I think you might have made the right decision there. The quality of the properties looks way better too, not just on those shows but what I've seen on the internet too. 3 bedroom villas with a private pool for €600 a month, you wouldn't get much for that price in Malta, €1600 maybe (Gozo excepted).

Toon wrote:

i did think however that the guys looking were'nt really that serious

I came to the conclusion that the couple were after a free weeks holiday in Cyprus.  ;)

Spot on On an Island -a fab decision and a wise one - initiated by my other half as i had doubts but doubts no more  - best decision we have ever made

i am the same  - i would never ever buy again... rents are just to affordable especially here.... 2bed villas with own pool €450 are available...3beds and own pool for,€600 easy peasy ... for sure - we are in the process of looking for one now... and have our eyes on one very local to us ...

its not all sweetness and light.... Cyprus has its issues but they are working through them which pleases me - choice here is immense and customer service is fabulous.

It's got a bit of a black mark against its name because of what happened with the banks, a lot of people lost a lot of money. Bloody stupid having so much cash sitting in a Cypriot bank account though. And there must be a lot of people who bought property at the peak who are sitting on a massive paper loss and have little chance of selling it. But that's the price you pay for buying a house in the middle of a property bubble, the same can be said for many other countries, Spain, Portugal, even the UK. Anybody buying in Malta at the moment could be in for a similar fate in a few years.

So there are probably a lot of people with many negative things to say about Cyprus, but for someone looking at moving there right now, it has a hell of a lot going for it. Probably a lot more than Malta.

yes it has  - and i can admit to having that concern too - however getting cash here is so easy and quick with Transferwise and a cracking good rate too...  the old watchword is simple  = dont keep too much here -  keep enough to keep you going and only transfer what you need....

although to be fair many of the banks here have cleaned up their acts and have for the first time for a while shown to be in the black for the first quarter - assuming you can trust their figures.. lol

and so far we havent been hit by the same restriction rules as the greek banks for the greek owned / franchised Cypriot banks... ie Hellenic...

House sales are still slow but that doesnt affect us as we will never ever buy again anywhere. Great rental prices and house prices have actually dropped by about 30% so many are preferring to rent their properties out which means plenty of choice and fab quality

having said that they re still not accepting THEIR responsibility for their lack of controls when loaning massive cash to developers and not chasing those debts, plus not even monitoring the actual  loan spend as many developer didnt use the cash for the purpose for which it was lent.....and when they did sell they didnt pay the loan off..... leaving many buyers with little hope of ever being able to get their deeds... but we live in hope that the powers that be can change that mentality

http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. … id=0078038

anyway back to Malta - and this thread - i liked a few of the houses in the show but not all mind you but as ive always said you cant always judge a house by its exterior and this show proved it .....

I don't think you can judge any house until you have lived in it. Appearances can be deceptive. St Pauls Bay might seem peaceful enough during the week, but every weekend the bypass road is like Silverstone or Brands Hatch. Dozens of people have complained to the police about it, but they don't bother doing anything.

true enough  - you have to experience a house and its surrounding areas day and night over a longer period  to appreciate it or want to get away from it...

Like your first house in Peyia - WOOF, WOOF   :dumbom:

yes exactly.... something that is a problem all over Cyprus am afraid - but thankfully we are sorted now.. just in the wrong place - alas we learn from our mistakes.

Just as we did when we first holidayed and then moved to Malta  - simply IN the wrong place and it sometimes takes a a while plus experiences to realise exactly that.. you eventually realise what it is that you really want from your relocation and eventually you DO find it in your chosen country,,  its rare that you manage it first time.

Yeah I read about your saga on the Cyprus board, bad experience.  :(

It's not just Malta that's got problems with dogs, it's probably the whole of the Med. It's bad when it costs you money though.

That's one of the main reasons I would be so scared of buying, at least with renting if you do make a mistake it's a lot easier to pack up and find somewhere else. If I do ever buy somewhere I would want a lot of space, no neighbours for at least 200 yards in any direction. In the middle of the boonies somewhere.

a good call... lol

am not saying buying is a bad experience am sure many have done exactly that and had a great experience - its just not for us  - we like the flexibility renting allows us... but i will say id have to 1000% sure everything was right for us and even then I would have to double and treble check....