I want to work at a bar and possibly open one

Hello all!!

I'm Elizabeth from Texas. I'm about to be 26. I love to travel and want to live in Costa Rica for a few months, possibly more. Looking to go mid to end of October or beginning of November. I'm going to Europe in August but feel my heart is pulling me to Costa Rica. I just started looking into it today. So total newbie! I want to work at a bar and possibly open one after a few years of being there.

That's all for now!  :/

Elizabeth, you can't work legally in Costa Rica until you are a legal Permanent resident, work online or have a work  visa, which you won't get to work in a bar. If you do manage to get work, 'under the table' realize that wages are very low and that tips are not generally given....plus if found, you will be deported
Suggest you read Costa Rica Law regarding livingand working in Costa Rica.
Best just to come and enjoy being a tourist for a while... :top:

I have been researching more and more and found that it was hard to work.. On average I make about 1300 a month from a variety of things. No job, and it's just me. No kids or husband. So I think I would be able to live off of that.

It would be hard to make even that amount here, when pay is only a few dollars an hour....and remember it would be illegal, with no benefits.

No not working in Costa Rica. I get money that's basically social security from the states. I wouldn't have to work. Or obtain money illegally.

I would advise you to check that funds are available for you when you are out of the USA.

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome to Expat.com!

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Costa Rica forum. ;)

there are areas of Costa Rica that are inexpensive for rent, and others that are very expensive.  The popular beach resorts in Guanacaste area and the Central Valley around San Jose are all expensive.  Look at areas like San Isidro de General south of San Jose for very reasonable rents.  Atenas has some decent deals too, it is 20-30km west of San Jose.     Start taking Spanish lessons NOW.   or enroll in an immersion school down here for the first year.   Good luck.

But the beach is more fun! There are ways to manage on a budget. Look for a place to rent once you are in the country. You will find a better deal. Good luck!

yes,  I agree.  Do NOT rent any property until you are down here, and can look at the property w/ the agent/owner.   Then look around the unit to see what is going on, morning, noon and night.  then consider renting it.  :0)

Elizabeth,
I am also from Texas, and I have permanent residency in CR. I am looking for a bar, if I find one, you might be able to work legally for me. I hope your Spanish is good.
Walter

You guys have been so helpful!!! I definitely will wait and start those Spanish lessons!!!

Also must gringos who start business here do not succeed do not expect to earn a living doing that type of work.   If you had a specialty like some medicine or construction  maybe . I have a friend here who is a Acupuncturist he does ok but bars they are a dime a dozen here

With $1300/month guaranteed income such as social security (i.e. guaranteed income you can prove to the satisfaction of the Costa Rica government) you can become a legal resident in Costa Rica. After a year or two you become a legal permanent resident.

You can maybe live on $1300/mo. if you are willing to take buses and eat on the cheap (i.e. cook beans and rice and local cheap foods) and find very low rent, or better yet, share a place with 1-2 others. The people I know who are living on less than $1500/month are people who own a home or get free rent like for managing an apartment building. (i.e. no rent to pay)

The rules re gringos working in Costa Rica can cause you to get deported if you get caught working. And it does happen.

That said, many many people do work illegally, especially at gringo hotels, bed and breakfasts etc.
If you are willing to risk being deported you could travel around to gringo destinations and inquire about working in a gringo-run hotel or b&b. I once got a free room in a hotel for as long as I wanted in exchange for helping the owner with his computer.  This was in the rainy season when the hotel was not at full capacity anyway. If you got a situation like that you'd solve your rent problem and I'm sure you can find someone to teach you the bar tending ropes and bar managing ropes.

So you might find an opportunity like this, especially with your good looks if I may say so. Everyone knows a good looking young girl has more options than an ugly older guy! It's just human nature.  ;)

I would say you would have a better chance at an outlying tourist town than in San Jose simply because in San Jose' someone is more likely to see you and complain you are taking a job they feel should go to a Tica or Tico. Of course this could happen anywhere so it is a risk. The people I know who have worked illegally as gringos have done it in out of the way places, not San Jose' or a big town.

If you have money to open a bar, and know how to manage one, you could then legally manage it if you are the owner, as I understand the law. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know people who own their own or owned hotels, or bed and breakfasts, and who do work in them as bar tenders, cooks, desk managers etc. It's illegal technically but they did it for many years and no one ever gave them any problem about it. I think if you own a business and manage it and do hire Ticos to help out, you are less likely to get in trouble for working at your own business. People don't want to see Ticos lose their jobs which is what happens if a gringo owner gets deported.

I am not an attorney and certainly not giving legal advice. :gloria  Just saying what I have seen and repeating some stuff I've heard. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and until you are a legal resident you have to leave the country every 3 months in order to keep your drivers license good. If you don't drive then no problem, you don't have to leave once your residency paperwork is initiated.

Could you please let me know if you found something for you Cuz i am also looking for a job and want to move in Costa Rica.

I am based in India and working in a Travel Management Company.

Many Thanks
Abhishek Vats

You should read the requirements of living and working here. It is very difficult to find a job where you will be legally employed. Coming from India you may only be given a visa for 30 days....which means you would have to leave Costa Rica to renew it.

Here is a good video on what possibilities there are for working in Costa Rica.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM5x8L_F35A