Moving to Addis Ababa

Dear Members,

I am an Indian professional being offered a post in Addis Ababa. Moving with family (Spouse+1 year baby girl). I would want to hear from resident expats an insight about the below topics

1. How safe and friendly is it to stay for a family being Indian nationality
2. How good & hygenic is the domestic water facility. Also give me a brief on electricity facility & mobile connectivity
3. My company offers me accommodation in addition a local allowance of $600. How sufficient is this to lead a normal lifestyle
4. Weather of the city
5. Medical facilities for kids & Indian schooling  (if any)
6. Indian temples (if any)

Thanks in anticipation

Sunil

sunilshinde wrote:

Dear Members,

I am an Indian professional being offered a post in Addis Ababa. Moving with family (Spouse+1 year baby girl). I would want to hear from resident expats an insight about the below topics

2. How good & hygenic is the domestic water facility. Also give me a brief on electricity facility & mobile connectivity
3. My company offers me accommodation in addition a local allowance of $600. How sufficient is this to lead a normal lifestyle
4. Weather of the city

Thanks in anticipation

Sunil

Please read through the posts in the forum categories list, right hand side of this page for information.
Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living, crime rates, rents etc.

everythings are ok here in Ethiopia.

Moderated by Christine
Reason: avoid your personal contacts on the forum

i would like to advise Ethiopia is safe and clean country for every thing good house food and transport cheap only thing i don't now about the Indian weather if abit difficult for you the rest one it will be good gud luck

Hi Sunil,

=> Ethiopia is safe Country. Ethiopeans are good people. They like to welcome Foreigners.
    Water and Electricity  not available for 2-3 hours in ADDIS
=> Which company you joined ? and whats your Salary? 
4. Weather of the city
= cold/rainy bring warm clothes and rainy jacket
=> Average
=> No

Hi Sunil ,
You will fall in love with Ethiopia no worries in all aspects from the weather to the food , coffee ,people and everything . Incase you need accommodation I have a place around Ayat , three bedroom three bathroom beautiful furnished place . if you need further info contact me

Great,friendly....Indians are more like us...no worries.

Weird moments coming to those.

Ur the king.depending on ur costs.

4. Weather of the city

Now its rainy season until mid Aug (hope so)...u know what to do.

Indian nation school has been here centuries....u can find Indian communities and other resourceful from the Indian Embassy.

Maybe inside the Embassy.

Chio..and good luck.

hey sunil, for all i know you may already be here in addis. if you are still contemplating, you should have no worries in terms of your safety as an indian national otherwise. i am not so sure of the water quality since i barely moved back to addis myself.having said that, i do take a shower, eat food cooked with tab water and so forth. i just stick to drinking bottle water until i know for sure that it is safe. power outage is not uncommon unfortunately, and don't expect city wide wi fi. several facilities through out the city, don't held me accountable when it comes to quality of care. there are indian schools, in fact one of the oldest i may add. as far as indian temples, i don't have that information but given the large indian population, i am pretty sure there will be a place of worship in accordance with your religion. the 600.00 dollars allowance, can't say is enough to have a descent life depending on what you consider descent though. the cost of living increases significantly mainly housing especially here in addis. the daily allowance in addition to your salary however will give you a cover for sure, just don't expect to meet ends with your allowance and save your salary. hope this helps.

Life in Ethiopia for Tamils from India. Any tamil people pls contact I plan to move with two small kids as Pharmacy professor... Please guide...already one expats encourage ed me...

i hope you will get the response you are looking for, particularly from dissidents of indian origin. as an ethiopian who lived in different parts of the world, i may add including india, you shouldn't focus on finding a particular group of people. part of the adventure is being open to new experience , country, culture and so forth. assimilating to a new surrounding doesn't mean that you are abandoning your values or losing yourself. you may or may not find tamils from india residing in ethiopia. having said that, i can assure you the journey you are about embark on will give you and your families an experience you will cherish for years to come. my first trip to india as a young student was not exactly a walk in the park for several reasons, but that experience shaped my future unlike any other. be open to feel the wind on your face.. what is the worst that could happen? if you don't like it, you can always go back. good luck and namaste.

Thanks good your view ....is  nice.