Will They or Won't They?

I'm planning to send some vitamins(sealed in 5 small plastic bottles) from the U.S. to Manila. According to UPS shipping guidelines, shipments of vitamins(like many other products) to the Philippines are subject to clearance from the Food and Drug Administration. what is the likelihood the package will be stopped, regardless of what the outside of the package says?

yes  its  good idea  any way should not be  a problem  at all,
thanks

The contents of the package are certainly going to be examined, so it's a wise idea to state on the outside EXACTLY what the contents are, and no trying to fudge it!!! If anything seems to be the least bit off and arouses suspicions the contents are just going to be seized and destroyed.

Are you sending something that is UNAVAILABLE in the Philippines? If not I would question the logic of sending them at all given the risk of confiscation. Every nation has a governmental agency which determines exactly what medications, drugs, vitamins, etc., are legal in that country. If what you're sending is not included on that list, it doesn't matter what it is, it will be confiscated as contraband.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

The UPS list(go to their website) covers just about any and every product you can mention(by category - fish - not trout,catfish,tuna, etc) So it lists vitamins period. I'm sending vitamins. If they are suspicious, they can open each of the 5 sealed bottles to confirm they are indeed vitamins. Others have written me they don't check and don't know anyone who has had their shipments checked.Vitamins shipped to Thailand, on the other hand, are always confiscated(I learned this the hard way) and sure enough, the UPS list for Thailand states vitamins are not permitted in the country. I'm taking the chance and will report back to this blog one way or another

The other issue is whether import duty will be charge on the contents of the package - this is quite usual.

If they check and decide to tax it, depending on the amount of the import tax, I may just let it sit in immigration...

Through the mail ( no Ups or Fedex) are likely to work unhampered. Less tax interest is one reason , however it will probably take much longer .

thailen wrote:

If they check and decide to tax it, depending on the amount of the import tax, I may just let it sit in immigration...

A common import duty rate for importing some vitamins into Philippines is 7%, plus the VAT of 12%.  So, basically 20% extra.
Philippine Tariff Commission: http://www.tariffcommission.gov.ph/tariff_finder/

The risk of it being checked?

Too many things being sent by post to the Philippines never actually arrive anyway, so who knows.

Not too bad if UPS ship it to the door using their own couriers though, but it is likely to be x-rayed and checked if it appears suspicious.

I'm happy to pay 20% more, but of what?

thailen wrote:

I'm happy to pay 20% more, but of what?

My guess would be of the actual value, based on your included genuine documentation (1), OR, their value if you do not provide that (2).  If it can be valued with a local comparison, they may take that higher value, even if you provide documentation (3).

I have seen method (2) in another country, and the value they come up with can be far in excess of the real value.

Of course No.2 won't work, because the reason I'm sending vitamins from the U.S. to the Philippines is precisely because the cost there is like 1000 pesos(in the U.S.) vs 60,000 pesos in the Philippines. I kid you not; I priced the same vitamins in Manila!
Naturally, with this disparity, I'd be crazy if they priced them at Philippine prices. I can certainly prove what I paid in the U.S., so we'll see what happens...

You may not believe my ratio of 1,000 vs 60,000, but Puritan Pride sells 5 bottles(buy 2, get 3 free) with free shipping(in the U.S.), so maybe it's 1,000 to 50,000. But it's a helluva jump!

With that price difference I see why you are doing this  :)

Now I am wondering what it is, that is so massive a price variance...

If they do get checked, and they recognise the price variance, I would assume they will value it at 60,000 and charge accordingly.

Maybe that particular item has a massive tax for some reason?

Did you find it on that Philippine Tariff Commission link I gave ?

There is only one logical solution ! Bring it with you when u come ..Nothing else makes sense!

I just looked at some Puritan Pride prices in US and Phils.

The per bottle price of the one I picked at random (Puritan's Pride CoQ10 Q-Sorb) actually look similar when done at single bottle price. (actually slightly cheaper in the Philippines.)  But the US five bottle special deal does make a big difference

Puritan's Pride CoQ10 Q-Sorb 200mg Softgels

Philippines
60 tablet bottle: 1,138 pesos (US$25)

United States
60 tablet bottle: $28.98 (60 tablets)
5 bottles for $57.98 (300 tablets) = US$11.60 for 60 tablets

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I live in Thailand. My GF visits the Philippines, so my plan is to send it to her family's home and have her bring it when she comes back. I DO bring lots of vitamins with me to Thailand, because Thailand will not allow vitamins cannot be sent or shipped here.

I spend around $25 for 5 bottles of 120 sofgels each of Omega 3 Fish Oil(1000 mg). I had earlier priced a similar item - fish oil - at an SM Mall and it said 60- sofgels for  1250 pesos, so maybe it's even more than 60,000 pesos for the same amount. Or maybe I just went to the wrong store. No, I did not go to the Tariff Commission, because he's sending the vitamins via UPS, which lists items allowed, need permits, etc. for each country, including the Philippines. UPS will no tship vitamins to Thailand period, because of the Thai policy. My past experience with UPS is that once they ship, I've never had a package stopped, held or blocked. And that includes electronics(Kindle E-readers, tablets).

Puritans Pride Fish Oil Omega 3 Double Strength 1200mg Softgels 2 Bottles of 90 each = 1,238 pesos.

So that's 1,238 pesos (US$28) for 180 tablets of 1200 mg each

You pay $25 for 600 tablets at 1000 mg each.

Philippines price for 600 (1200mg) tablets would be 4,126 pesos or US$93, about 4 times the price.

SM isn't a good price to check prices.  It is worth looking around.

An example of prices that may be interesting:

Alaska Premium Deep Sea Salmon Fish Oil (100 softgel capsules per bottle)

Pure Alaska Salmon Oil 1000mg
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 180mg
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 120mg

Manufactured by:
ABP Manufacturing
California USA
FDA Approved Facilities

Prices as quoted in May 2014 in Davao:
P250 for 1-2 Bottle
P230 for 3-5 Bottle
P200 for 6-9 Bottles
P180 for 10 or more bottles

Priced in Shops: 1,299 per bottle
Priced Online: 545 pesos per bottle

So, with this particular item:

600 tablets at 1,000mg each will cost:

1,080 pesos - Cheapest found (but in Davao)
3,270 pesos - Online
11,826 pesos - Department Store

Quite a difference depending on where you buy...

thanks! Where did you get those quotes?

thailen wrote:

thanks! Where did you get those quotes?

Lazada was the main online one, where they also quote the RRP.

The cheapest one I found by googling and saw a Facebook page advertising the same item.

I know that prices can vary a lot from my previous business where I often sold things at a tenth of the price of Major shops.  My overheads were lower, and it gave me incredible options for pricing on some ranges of goods.

However, there are still times where things are cheaper in USA or Canada.

Wimbleton wrote:

There is only one logical solution ! Bring it with you when u come ..Nothing else makes sense!

Shop round for better prices?

http://www.lazada.com.ph/shop-health-be … n-s-pride/http://saveonshop.com.ph/top-sellers/vi … ans-pride/http://manila.en.craigslist.com.ph/hab/5022946260.html

Just a thought.

Thanks to you both!

Why worry and go to all that problems? Just go to nearest Philippine S&R store and buy them. Just like Walmart almost.

If you want to send consumer products from the US to the Philippines without hassle and reliably, use the Filipino shipping networks like Star Kargo or whatever "balik bayan" box provider you can find locally.  In major metro areas there is usually a Filipino grocery store or Asian grocery where you can drop off a box.  Cheap.  <$100 you can pack a box full of stuff that is stupidly expensive here like laundry soap... or stuff that will not fit in your luggage allowance or that is too heavy or undesirable to carry in luggage.  Can be as heavy as you want.  Every time we go to US my wife ends up shipping 2 or 3 of these things.  They show a month or two later without a hitch.  Easy peasy.  The networks exist anywhere there are Filipino or OFW communities.