Top Universities that take International students?

We will be applying to Nottingham University for admission to study a  Geology Degree for our daughter and would like to apply elsewhere too. Which other universities are considered to be a good choice for an International English speaking student with an excellent academic score. Although we see this degree offered at many universities we also see that not all of them are of equal status and not all do the Degree in English only?  We are coming to Malaysia to visit the various Universities so would welcome some advice . Our research shows that only a few Universities in Malaysia are well ranked in international rankings.
We will be coming from South Africa.

Its important to see the locations. Nottingham Uni is in a very outlying area with not very good connections out of it e.g. only a transit bus to the nearest station, which takes about 25 minutes. Standards will probably not be as good as if the course was taken in the UK but of course cheaper.

The majority of pupils come for the low cost or being from another Islamic country and not the excellence. However, rule of thumb is, if there are a lot of local Chinese students, then the standards will be higher. Not sure how the rankings are worked out, but one of these exercises has not placed any Malaysian-bases unis in the top 200.

Any of the other international universities could be a possibility if they offer the required course. If the aim is for a career in the petrochemical industry there is always PETRONAS university. There is also Australian Uni Monash and a few other international uni branches dotted around Malaysia including Southampton and Sunway

http://afterschool.my/course-description/geology/

Choose the degree carefully if the only option is not just teaching the subject. Its important to have a clear end goal e.g. conservation etc. to ensure the course has the right components.

Thank you. I was hoping to hear that the standards at the private universities were excellent? But now I am concerned , do you have an opinion on Taylors University?

Its a yuppy university with high percentage of local Chinese students. I have visited and the campus is pretty special, with its own food street, including a Starbucks and other chains. It has a lot of land and is in an industrial estate close to the Anchor beer plant and surrounded by roads.

I think it has won local and regional awards. Its located centrally within easy distance of KL City and other cities in PJ.

Whether its particularly international is another question. I think the courses are expensive as well. Not sure about where the teachers come from and whether they are mainly Malaysians. You would need to check out this. What usually happens is there are a couple of figurehead Europeans or Americans which add respectability to educational organisations, but behind that its good to know who are the tutors etc.

Thank you again. Some of the government universities have much better world rankings, but as we don't speak Bahasa I doubt we would have any chance.

I am going to visit as many as possible as we are going to be relocating to KL and have 2 daughters that need to go to Uni.

It is a hard decision .

If you don't mind I'd like to piggy back off this topic it's something I could be very interested in one day, I'm looking at Universities in KL that offer postgraduate studies, primarily in IT, I see there are many options and Malaysia is clearly trying to compete in Higher Education but like you said quality is sketchy in some institutions (you can often tell by the website?). Anyhow I liked the Monash University site and was impressed with the research programs, could you share what you know about them? And how about UPM and APU, of course tuition is much lower but any idea how they compare to Monash? If you've visited the campuses or know someone studying there please share as much info as you like. Thanks!

Well I will post my findings once I have been to the universities. I doubt I would be able to get my daughters into UPM and APU as we are not locals and don't speak Bahasa which I am sure is required.

Cost of Living in Malaysia is not that cheap to be honest - its become cheaper in the US and the UK for food in many cases. Rentals here are close to the UK level e.g. RM3k per month for family of 4 western standards. You would probably need RM6k per month to live off. 6% goods and services tax was introduced in April 2015 so all prices have gone up except for a few exceptions.

Not sure what visa you are intending to get so you can stay in Malaysia with them? That can be tricky as income levels are required and letters from employer etc. unless you are intending to do the Malaysia my Second Home (MM2H) visa.

Students cant work in Malaysia alongside their studies either. Plus there are many foreign workers so jobs are taken up by them. Remember its also a male-oriented working society in some sectors.

I am a Master student at the University of Malaya. It is quite good and is a research university with over 4000 international students. All our lectures are done in English and Bahasa you can only study it for a month, just as a formality. You can check the website and see if the course you want is there.

satomie - what countries to the foreign students come from?  Could you provide a list of those nationalities you are aware of please?

Have you considered Heriot Watt University (UK uni)
Monash Uni (Australian)
Private include Taylor's, Sunway  and HELP)

Cannot say much about public universities, except that they have gone downhill

so many countries all over the world from all continents. Russia, Holland, Italy, Zimbabwe, Zambia, India, Yemen, Sudan etc only to mention a few. there is a diverse of international students

Monash, Nottingham, Heriot Watt and Newcastle universities are basically overseas universities with stellar reputations that have set up campuses in Malaysia. They monitor everything from syllabus content, to delivery to quality and have close ties with their overseas 'headquarter' campuses and usually second staff to the Malaysian campuses as well as recruit local staff. The award is equivalent to what you get overseas as the programme will be more or less the same.

Taylors, HELP and Sunway are private homegrown universities that usually have ties to overseas universities via individual programmes. You may find that how they run things is not typical of an overseas or public university as usually the bottom line is important, nevertheless they usually provide a good education depending on which program you are talking about.  For example Sunway has a program with Lancaster university (ranked in top 15 in  the UK), whereby there are two awards for one degree as the moderate the delivery and examinations.

The public universities are well funded although you may find some lack quality as there is less of an impetus to do research or provide quality teaching and  compete for students as they are government funded. However there are some notable ones such as MU, USM, UPM and UKM. You need to go on blogs and check what students are saying about all of  the universities I mentioned. Sometimes that is the best way compared with going on the uni websites.

Thank you for your response. It has some sound advice. We have done alot of research but we are coming over to visit the different universities. We also wanted to visit the Star Education Fair which seems to have so many different educational institution attending, I can only find one place that is saying the Fair is in early Jan 2016 9-10.
I was hoping to get confirmation somewhere else that this is infact correct and also from experience whether this is worth visiting?

Satomie - We are coming from South Africa, so we do not speak Bahasa but would like to study in English. Did you do your undergrade degree in Malaysia too?

There are usually education fairs early every year as the SPM students will have finished at the end of the calendar year. here is another link which may be of use. http://www.universityfairs.com/fairs/ed … -2016-9821
Fairs are a good way to find all the relevant educational establishments under one roof. i would suggest you contact your unis of interest and ask them will they be attending any fairs and go from there.
The Star fair is one of the most popular.

Staying in the midlands Birmingham  - but "Birmingham University" not just a university with Birmingham in the name, there are thousands of so called universities in the UK now, most not very good!  Entrance requirements will be higher but it's a better degree. Warwick is also very well respected in Law and business but not sure on other subjects. The thing is some Unis are more well known for certain subjects. Like Worcester is not considered in the top ones until you look at its record for students who go through to post grad teaching certificate, then it shines. I'd take a look at the sudject and research which unis are respected in that subject. Wherever,  her experience in UK will be beneficial to her, I hope you'll enjoy visiting her too 😁

Multimedia college cyberjaya, kdu, upm