Tips for getting your first job in Thailand

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Thailand?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Thailand?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

I think you better do some reading on this as you need a work permit
if you work for a Thai company then they need to more or less sponsor you and pay you a wage set by the government (normally 50K a month)
not many Thai companies can afford this and also on top they need to have 4 Thai employees that are on wages and you must pay their social security as well.

Lots of info online about this.

Go to a Thai School and learn to speak Thai, 100 hours minimum.

DONT teach English. The kids go to sleep during lessons and if you are strict they simply stay away.
ALSO the pay is lousy.

David Rea

Well,

You want to work legally, options are not various.

Davidcharles wrote:

DONT teach English. The kids go to sleep during lessons and if you are strict they simply stay away.
ALSO the pay is lousy.

David Rea

The pay is quite good at International Schools.

very bad answers indeed.
first of all , you get jobs only and only with connections , mean friends you make here ,
thats the only way to get your first job , except your an expert in something.

forget the rules , work permit bla bla , prosititution is unlawfull , and guess what... its everywhere
just get a job , the formalities , you can handle or if you cant , an nice police man will help you to do it

find friends , ask around, thats the only way

I would like to more about working in Thailand, I have an insurance career would like to continues property and casualty lines, and loss adjustment and risk engineering.  Can you assist.

arambol001 wrote:

very bad answers indeed.
first of all , you get jobs only and only with connections , mean friends you make here ,
thats the only way to get your first job , except your an expert in something.

forget the rules , work permit bla bla , prosititution is unlawfull , and guess what... its everywhere
just get a job , the formalities , you can handle or if you cant , an nice police man will help you to do it

find friends , ask around, thats the only way

That is not the only way and in fact is the wrong way

Have you ever been to Thailand. Are you living and working in Thailand. Not according to your profile.
What you have said is not recommended at all, is totally inaccurate and may well get people into trouble if they tried that.
With the Thai Govt now cracking down on illegals in Thailand, including those working illegally and doing the monthly visa run into Laos or Cambodia you can find yourself in trouble really easy.
There is a long listed of prohibited jobs that expats are not allowed to do.
The best way to get a job in Thailand is to spend many hours online searching or place your CV with employment agencies who specialize in getting expat jobs in Thailand.

If you have nothing constructive to post then please do not post such inaccuracies on this forum.
Thank you.

I need to correct you, most jobs positions are found through connections,  OP did not write if he wanted  to work legally. Also as I said previously, if you want to work legally, jobs that are available are limited.
So I really think, having a Thai friend or thai connection is good and brilliant point to start with job.

Having a Thai friend can sometimes help to a degree but everything has to be done legally. Whilst a friend might point you in the right direction he alone cannot get you a job.
The OP stated that this is the only way to get work when it is not. His ideas may well get someone in trouble.

After 40+ years in Asia I do have some idea of what is needed.

Agree Stumpy, but was not stated by the OP. The OP was Expat.com, its just a conversation starter not actual questions from a specific person.

To work legally in Thailand you need to have a trade or skill that is in demand there and that few, if any Thais can do. Generally speaking foreigners are not allowed to take jobs that Thais can do. i.e. Taxi driving, waitressing, shop worker to name only a few.

Can someone list a few good employment agencies that will assist in finding work in Thailand, specifically in the north (Chiang Mai, Lamphun area) ??

So you are using anecdotal fallacies?
What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Thailand?
Connections are REALLY IMPORTANT
What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?
If boss is Thai, he or she needs first to get trust in you, so you should offer volunteering first. If you are applying for multinational companies, situation is easier

What are the top hiring sectors?
Educational industry,
What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Thailand?

to not listen old members and retired people