New members of the Cook Islands forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cook Islands forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Cook Islands if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Just joined the forum.  My fiance and I are hopefully moving across in May if all goes according to plan.  We would love any advise, cost of living,  finding a place to stay,  getting around, tax,  open to all advise and things you think some one should know before coming over

My name is saundra jean leonard   I have been a us. Merchant Mariner for about 25 yrs I have cook/chef in the us. Everyone chef I like the topics cooking love of food would love to teach in your country I feel I have alot of world experience phone number [moderated: avoid your phone num on the forum pls]

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Veggie gal wrote:

:D
Hi I'm Veggie gal and I want to meet a nice man to be with forever in the Cook Islands please be 47-52 only
Thanks guys!🐬

Hi Veggie girl.

This forum is not a dating or a matrimonial site and the administrators will ban anyone who tries to use it as such. I suggest you Goggle search for websites that provide what you are looking for. Thanks for your understanding.

Kchamp wrote:

Just joined the forum.  My fiance and I are hopefully moving across in May if all goes according to plan.  We would love any advise, cost of living,  finding a place to stay,  getting around, tax,  open to all advise and things you think some one should know before coming over

Hello Kchamp

Look around on this Cook Islands forum. Most questions is answered in detail if you read the posts.

In short...
Cost of living is low compared to many countries in the industrialized west. Living is a bit high but eating is low.
Gettting around. Most people drive scooters. On Rarotonga there are buses going around the island. To go between the islands you must fly.
Tax. I written a more detailed thread on tax here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=100219
Finding a place to stay.... Buy a house (lease) or rent one.

My name is adnan sajid  and i am  electrical supervisor/electrician for about 35 yrs age and 15 year experience

Hi I live in NZ and have been to Rarotonga 3 times. My most recent visit in April has prompted me to find out about the possibility of living there to do some family research as well as living and working.I guess the information or advice I am seeking is where would I start in terms of preparing to move to the islands? I know you have to get a visa but I don't know much else. If anyone could share their stories on how they planned, how much money they had to save first, also how hard it is if you take your children, anything really, that would be much appreciated :) I should also add that I am not looking to invest or lease, simply just want to live and work there. Thanks

Hi Jamielee,

First of all. On rare occations there is ads for job positions where someone seek a person to work which has skills that is not found locally. If you would get such a job it would be by a sponsor, max 3 year contract where it also includes that you shall train a local.

Pretty much the only other opinions is.
1. Start a business that you can live on. In order to get the approval you may have to invest quite heavy in this business. Not sure of the amount but I think more then 500K NZ$.
2. Buy a existing business to live on. Here there are 2 options.
a. Buy a local business in total and run it for your living.
b. If you already have money and dont need to worry about any income you can invest in 50% shareholding in a local business which would be taken care of the local.

You dont have to buy a lease, there are apartments to rent although in the long run it will be better for you to buy a lease on a house.

Thanks for that Magnus.

Hello all

Welcome to New members of the Cook Islands forum :par:

Little Reminder

This thread is solely for presentation of new members.

We encourage you browse the forum by ''Forum Categories'', found on the up right side of your screen, to gather useful info.

We have dedicated sections of the site to host adverts you may have , which you can find atop amidst the green banner with other menus like Pictures,Blogs, Guide etc..

Feel free to Create a New Thread to share your expat experience and ask your eventual questions.

Looking forward to read you,

Gavind

Hi. The visa is relatively easy. Once you come, just go to the immigration office by the post office in town. If you are a New Zealand citizen, you automatically get six months. To renew it, you just need to leave the country for a day and come back.

The schools follow the New Zealand system. It is easy to enroll your kids in the school system as I have done so myself. I cannot say that the schools are as vigorous as they are in America, but they are fine.

Regarding employment, jobs go to locals, but if you have certain skills that the locals don't, you can absolutely be considered for a job. Jobs don't pay as much – Not nearly as much – as they do in New Zealand, Australia, or America, so you need to take that into consideration when saving money. For example, a friend of mine is making $30,000 a year at a job where she was making $80,000 a year in Australia. It involves computer skills, so she was able to get the job, but she has to work a second job to make ends meet. However she stays because it is beautiful, simpler, and the commute is far better!

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751296

Thanks!

Closed