Seeking the comforts of home

The "comforts of home" thread invites Expats to tell how they deal with and-or overcome the difficulties in finding products and services in Ecuador that were a regular part of their former lives.

----

Sometimes it just pays off to keep checking back at some of the higher-end stores.

This weekend at Megamaxi in Quito, I did the usual checking for my favorite body cream, Nivea "Soft," and favorite cereal, Kellogg's "Musli."

Suprisingly, both were in stock.

The cream had been off Quito store shelves for a full year.  In previous years, it had been widely available at pharmacies and supermarkets.

The cereal has been off and on in recent months after being off the shelves for the first six or seven months of 2014. 

A manager told me last May that high EC tariffs were stopping imports of the Musli but that it would be back. 

And today there they were -- the cherry and apple varieties -- so I stocked up.  After all, they could disappear for a while at any time.

cccmedia in Quito

How about if I get all contrary and complain about the things I could find in Ecuador but can't get in America?

My favorite.shampoo.ever.  SaloonIn tinted shampoo, it came in about five different colors. Paid $8 for a bottle of it in Ecuador and thought it was highway robbery. Fabulous product, made in Colombia.

Can't get it in America, at all, and I've searched the internet high and low. Loved that stuff so much I even saved the container.

Also have never been able to find in the US a lot of the beauty/cosmetic products I used in Europe. Can't get them here at all. Or sometimes it's the same brand, but the product itself is completely different and reformulated for the US market, and crappy.

Sorry my rant is in reverse.   :)

How Dom Buonamici found a way to bring a $55 'TV' into Ecuador:

You know Dom, the real estate entrepreneur and blogger who sells his own manuals about getting a residency visa, Ecuador real estate tips, and how to farm macadamia nuts and other crops in the Land of the Sun.

Anyway, Dom visited Mom back in Montana USA for the holidays, and found a home projector for sale that plugs directly into a DirecTV box, DVD player or X-Box...and then projects onto a white wall or any surface up to "about 120 inches." 

Price:  $55.

Sort of a poor man's television.  And, says Dom, not yet available in Ecuador.

He says the picture quality is crisp tho' not hi-def and the product is more portable than a regular TV.

Maybe best of all, it appears this projector is not subject to El Supremo's fancy tariffs and restrictions on bringing regular TV sets into EC.

Dom even got a break by using his discount card at Kohl's, claiming he actually paid only $38.50.

Source:  Dom Buonamici.
Dom can be contacted via his website, ecuadorrealestate.org

I would imagine it is something like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDc1MA==/z/xgMAAOSwDk5TwQZD/$_35.JPG

Only thing is the output resolution is stated as 320x240, so I question the quality of the picture, although Dom says his output is "crisp".

P.S. I think Ecuador allows you to bring one television back with you, so still better to do that in my opinion.

Nards Barley wrote:

I think Ecuador allows you to bring one television back with you, so still better to do that in my opinion.

In Dom's email in which this alternative was detailed, he said TV's are not handled by EC authorities in the same way as other electronics.

Dom said a friend of his claimed he was charged a $250 tariff for bringing in a single TV recently, offsetting the potential advantage of buying it in the U.S.
(Source:  Dom Buonamici email)

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

I think Ecuador allows you to bring one television back with you, so still better to do that in my opinion.

In Dom's email in which this alternative was detailed, he said TV's are not handled by EC authorities in the same way as other electronics.

Dom said a friend of his claimed he was charged a $250 tariff for bringing in a single TV recently, offsetting the potential advantage of buying it in the U.S.
(Source:  Dom Buonamici email)

cccmedia in Quito

About 2 months ago a friend of mine brought in from the u.s. a 19 inch tv in her suitcase without any problems.  So maybe size is a factor in the applicability of duties.

Nards Barley wrote:

About 2 months ago a friend of mine brought in from the u.s. a 19 inch tv in her suitcase without any problems.  So maybe size is a factor in the applicability of duties.

The maximum for a TV set has been 21 inches, based on the most credible and fairly recent report I have found.

Source:  gringosabroad.com listing of EC customs regulations, which appeared in the Expat.com Ecuador thread "Bringing in electronics," in a post by BobH on May 23, 2013.

There have been some other Internet posts indicating the following:

(1) Any original packaging should be removed from the TV before placing it in luggage, so it can be credibly claimed that the unit is not for re-sale, if it comes to that.

(2) Various Expats -- but not all -- have gotten TV's into Ecuador in their luggage without any problem or fee.

(3) Diligence and interpretation in enforcing the rules are prone to vary.

cccmedia in Quito

Oh My.
You know that Kellogg cereals/products are full of GMOs and thoroughly sprayed with pesticides, right?
There are 6 conglomerate Corporations that sell most of the packaged products now. Google it. Avoid buying them.
Vote with your Dollars. Buy local.

lannie loeks wrote:

Oh My.
You know that Kellogg cereals/products are full of GMOs and thoroughly sprayed with pesticides, right?

And you know this how (i.e., do you have references)?

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf … p;oe=UTF-8http://www.google.com/search?client=saf … p;oe=UTF-8
Lots of articles on this page for you if you are interested.

lannie loeks wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=kellogg's+gmo+snopes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf … p;oe=UTF-8
Lots of articles on this page for you if you are interested.

Here is one, from the ones you quote, that seems to indicate the GMO problem is not a problem:  http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/monsantocorn.asp.

Here is another:   http://mansfield.htnp.com/2012/08/25/sh … ial-media/

Here is a quote from that site "The photo posted with this story represents another side of the problem – misinformation – and the hazards of automatically “sharing” photos and posters and the like in social media without checking the facts."

And another quote from that site: "One of the most powerful aspects of social media, such as Facebook, is that it can be used to educate others, and gather support for civic and social action… but it is also all too easy to pass along misinformation by hitting that “share” button.

Social media continues to evolve in many areas of our lives and like most “tools” can be used for benefit or to do harm – so it is up to us to exercise good judgment."

The problem I know of in reference to documentaries I have watched is that some farmers are getting screwed, financially, by companies like Monsanto over GMO's. But there is no scientific evidence I have heard of that states there is any health risk.

So in closing, it's perhaps a good idea for you to reference scientific papers that have been refereed and not listen to and repeat hearsay. We are interested in the facts here, at least I hope we are.

MikeGB wrote:

The problem I know of in reference to documentaries I have watched is that some farmers are getting screwed, financially, by companies like Monsanto over GMO's. But there is no scientific evidence I have heard of that states there is any health risk.

This subject is like religion. Have believers and non believers. Have no real interest what people want to believe, but you are correct Mike. There has been no hard scientific evidence against the health hazards of GMO. Mostly only pseudo scientific studies that have been shown to be filled with many inaccuracies, and flaws. Sometimes downright lies. GMO might well be a terrible thing, but from a hard facts perspective the anti GMO group has hardly provided any evidence to support their claims.

j600rr wrote:

This subject is like religion. Have believers and non believers.

It is a bit like religion, but is also different. A belief in a deity cannot be proven and so the believers might be right and the non-believers might be right.  With GMO's there is only scientific fact. Although, at times, scientific viewpoints have changed based upon new evidence. So, who knows , at some point, GMOs may be proven to be harmful. What bugs me is people going on about things they have very little knowledge about and/or quoting hearsay.

lannie loeks wrote:

Glad they use pesticides, would not want live ones in my cereal.

j600rr wrote:

This subject is like religion.

Then the subject is forbidden.

lannie loeks wrote:

Vote with your Dollars. Buy local.

Politics is also forbidden, especially advocating buying votes.

mugtech wrote:

Politics is also forbidden, especially advocating buying votes.

Hmmm!!  That brings up an issue closer to home me thinks.

I don't care of your evidence if you want to eat gmo foods be my guess I have a lots of family friends with cancer i want  to eat organic foods you can have the gmo gest for you am sory but this is how I feel Moise

Mcordos, Do you know the best place to buy nonGMO, pesticide free food near Cuenca?  Also, I heard chickens are fed GM grains from the U.S., do you know where I could find meat and eggs and dairy from animals not fed organic grains, and mostly grazing?  Thanks

As "cccmedia" reported I have noticed several things missing from the shelves as of recent. I guess they aren't big things but it would sure be nice to have them back. One thing is Coffee Mate. I like the taste in my coffee. Because it is no longer on the shelves I use something manufactured in Columbia (Colcafe Vanilla Capuccino flavoured). It adds a taste similar to a Capuccino.

Then there is the lack of Corona. This one is really strange to be missing from the shelves. It can't be that expensive to import. It used to sell for $2.30 a bottle at Supermaxi. And for that they would be making a reasonable profit. And I didn't have any problems paying that as I like this beer. I would even consider paying a bit more.   If this product was coming from the US I could see the problem, but from Mexico. Come on Ecuador!!!

The local beer is OK, but I like Corona just a bit better.

What I would like to see is Ecuador getting a little more proactive (i.e., producing more products of it's own).

For example, Tramontina. Why are these products made in Columbia (or Argentina)? What aren't they made here?  And the Colcafe Capuccino mix. Why can't that be made here? Come on Ecuador, get your ass in gear!!!

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to make Ecuador into the US or Canada (as some would like to say). But, there are things that Ecuadorians would like to have that they cannot get unless they are imported (e.g., smartphones). So, this has nothing to do with me in specific.

Why don't they open a factory and start producing smartphones here. There is no reason why the government couldn't subsidize the development of such a place and once it starts to turn a profit cut it free. This helps to build the economy. Then all that money Ecuadorians pay for smartphones stays in the country.

Ecuador has the capability. I am just not sure the correct governmental guidance is in place.

Hopefully that new city that is being built around technology will change things for the better.

This country will never progress unless the government takes some progressive action. And, I know there are some that are going to say, if the country progresses it will be ruined like other places. I don't see that progress has ruined countries like Switzerland.

MikeGB wrote:

As "cccmedia" reported I have noticed several things missing from the shelves as of recent. I guess they aren't big things but it would sure be nice to have them back. One thing is Coffee Mate. I like the taste in my coffee. Because it is no longer on the shelves I use something manufactured in Columbia (Colcafe Vanilla Capuccino flavoured). It adds a taste similar to a Capuccino.

Then there is the lack of Corona. This one is really strange to be missing from the shelves. It can't be that expensive to import. It used to sell for $2.30 a bottle at Supermaxi. And for that they would be making a reasonable profit. And I didn't have any problems paying that as I like this beer. I would even consider paying a bit more.   If this product was coming from the US I could see the problem, but from Mexico. Come on Ecuador!!!

The local beer is OK, but I like Corona just a bit better.

What I would like to see is Ecuador getting a little more proactive (i.e., producing more products of it's own).

For example, Tramontina. Why are these products made in Columbia (or Argentina)? What aren't they made here?  And the Colcafe Capuccino mix. Why can't that be made here? Come on Ecuador, get your ass in gear!!!

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to make Ecuador into the US or Canada (as some would like to say). But, there are things that Ecuadorians would like to have that they cannot get unless they are imported (e.g., smartphones). So, this has nothing to do with me in specific.

Why don't they open a factory and start producing smartphones here. There is no reason why the government couldn't subsidize the development of such a place and once it starts to turn a profit cut it free. This helps to build the economy. Then all that money Ecuadorians pay for smartphones stays in the country.

Ecuador has the capability. I am just not sure the correct governmental guidance is in place.

Hopefully that new city that is being built around technology will change things for the better.

This country will never progress unless the government takes some progressive action. And, I know there are some that are going to say, if the country progresses it will be ruined like other places. I don't see that progress has ruined countries like Switzerland.

Fortunately I drink my coffee black.   I did have a budweiser the other day but I think they have bottling plant here and I suspect Miller Lite does as as well considering I see it around.

Import restrictions (presumably) have killed a lot of imported products where I shop.  I don't see Campbells soup any more.

I don't know if you buy peanut butter but an 8 ounce bottle of Schullo costs like $5.50 for a jar.  I could be wrong but I could swear it was selling for around $3.50 weeks back.

As far smartphones, according to this article, they are making them here locally.

Nards Barley=http://www.cuencahighlife.com/cuenca-digest-cuenca-company-is-making-85-smart-phones-ordonez-lasso-construction-work-set-to-begin-in-early-2015/ wrote:

according to this article,[/url] they are making them here locally.

If they are up to 45,000 phones a month they better start exporting soon, everyone in Ecuador who wants one and can afford one will have a smartphone shortly.  Gotta wonder if Ecuador will suffer because of the increase in import tariffs,, aka retaliation.

Nards, thanks for the mention of the cellphone being manufactured in Ecuador. That is very good to hear. However, I wouldn't expect much for $85. I would like to see it though. Have you ever seen this variety around Cuenca anywhere?