Indonesian community in Vancouver + work permit

Hi everyone im Nita from Indonesia, i ve been moved to Vancouver a week ago. Im very new in Canada. Does anyone know about Indonesian community in Vancouver or Indonesian church community and does anyone know about how to apply work permit in Canada? Or if i dont get any work permit yet, is it possible if i get a job without work permit? Thanks for the advise.

Hi Nita,

I am not based in Vancouver but here in Halifax (the other end of Canada). It may not be as vibrant as Vancouver, but it doesn't have earthquakes for sure. Anyhow, on to your question I don't think they'd be an Indonesian church to be specific. That's because theren't many Indonesians that immigrate to Canada to begin with. If you see the stats http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ … nt/10.asp,
the numbers are pretty low. Most likely, they will align with a particular church individually or in some small group. I know of an Indonesian Christian couple in Halifax that join the locals instead in a particular church. They opened a cafe too. As to your other question, you will need a work permit to work obviously. If you are on a visitor visa, you are not legally allowed to work. So having a work permit is important. If you are studying, you can apply for an off-campus work permit that'll allow you to work 20hrs max per week.

Nita,

Greetings and welcome to Canada. I tried to answer your question(s)

Indonesian church -> As far as I know, 3 Indonesian based church in Vancouver :
1. GII (Gereja Injili Indonesia) - 11960 Montego St, Richmond, BC
2. GBI (Gereja Bethany Indonesia) - 1806 East Hasting St, Vancouver, BC, V3L 1T2
3. UKI (Umat Katholik Indonesia) BC - 7455 10th Avenue, Burnaby, BC V3N 2S1

Apply for work permit -> Work permit (normally) will be arranged by your employer so I really don't think you have to do anything.

is it possible if i get a job without work permit? -> Nope!

Cheers,

Boedi

Hi Nita,
I have 1 friend from Indonasia, I will find her and ask her to contact you. But I, didn't understand why you do need a work permit if you are legal in Canada?

wish you all the best.

Regards,

Abumalik

Hi Nita,

Correction for the address of GII...found out that they moved to 1587 Frances Street, Vancouver, BC V5L 1Z2 (they rent the New Beginnings Baptis Church). their website http://gii-net.org/

Feel free to contact me and I will hook you up with some of the people from all the 3 church that I mentioned.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Boedi

xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Abumalik,

May i have your friend's contact cause i really need some advices? whatsapp or email address should be fine. Thank you in advance! have a good day

Elsa

@ Kristinaelsa > Just to inform you that this thread is quite old and that you might not receive any feedback from Abumalik.

Please feel free to participate on more recent threads. :)

Have a nice day,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi Nita,

My name is Ted.

I am from Indonesia.

I have plan to move to Canada.

Would you like to share some advise about how to immigrate from Indonesia to Canada?

Thank you.