Tricare overseas

I am retired US Navy currently enrolled in tricare health insurance.  I am moving to live with my brasilian national wife in Rio. Any US military retired in Brasil that can give me the dope on tricare overseas health insurance ?

US Insurance is almost never accepted as direct bill. You will have to file a claim and receive payment via. tri-care.

Any updates or more info on dealing with Tricare while living in Brazil? Retiring and moving to Brazil in December.

I am researching this topic today. What I do understand at this point in time is that International SOS Health provides 24/7 customer service and support for TriCare Overseas beneficiaries. International SOS is available to assist, arrange and manage health care needs with a primary care physician. In TOP (tricare overseas program) remote locations (Brasil) you will not have an assigned PCM. International SOS will act as your PCM for referral and authorization management. I have found two contact numbers for International SOS for assistance: Customer service regional direct +1-215-942-8393 and Customer service toll free 0800-76-20992.
This is information I have attained via the internet and not from personal experience. I will try to contact International SOS via telephone for more info today. Everything I learn I will post here. Of course anyone who knows more or different information feel free to reply.
David in Rio de Janeiro....

Thanks for that David, it will be information that is much needed by our forum members who are US citizens.

Cheers,
James  Expat-blog Experts Team

Tricare Overseas Program (TOP) Standard is available to US military retirees, and retiree dependents and allows beneficiaries to manage their own health care and make appointments with host nation providers. You do not need referrals for care,but prior authorizations are required for certain services. Be prepared to pay upfront for care and file claims with your TOP claims processor for reimbursement. Enrollment is not required; coverage is automatic as long as your information is current in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS).
Wisconsin Physicians Service (WPS) is the claims processing contractor for the overseas regions. They can be reached at+44 20 8762 8384,option 2. You can speak with a representative for assistance Monday thru Friday 3am-8pm EST excluding all federal/national holidays.
Deductible fees
Retirees, their families
US$150/individual US$300/family per fiscal year
Retirees,their families 25% after the annual deductible is met per fiscal year
Catastrophic cap (retirees)per fiscal year US$3000
Global Tricare Service Center +1-215-942-8393, option 4

Thanks David for this vital information.

Just one question regarding the figure for Catastrophic Cap is that figure of $3000 for the fiscal year correct? That would seem extremely small even if it were the cap for a single illness/injury. Certainly even a surgical procedure would excede that amount.

Would be great to have that point explained a bit more fully.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Catastrophic cap is the maximum a retiree/families with Tricare Standard Overseas would pay each fiscal year. After you reach your catastrophic cap, you won't have to pay anything more in most cases. In the states I had Tricare Prime for wich I paid an annual enrollment fee of US$255.
In 2008 I had a Cardio Artery By-Pass Graft (double) performed; 10 days in a civilian hospital and 5 weeks cardio physical therapy. The bill for the helicopter life flight from Camp Pendleton to Tri-City Hospital was in excess of US $10,000 alone. I paid nothing for all of my medical care. Tricare Prime is not available for retirees overseas. So the option is standard with co-pays or fly back state side annually for zero copay medical care while paying the $21 monthly premium payments. And for the curious this incident was five years after retiring from the Navy. Additionally, I had no medical history of heart disease while on active duty to justify a claim for a service related injury/illness from the Veterans Administration so I do not receive disability from the VA for heart injury. However I began receiving Social Security Disability at age 54. Therefore with SSDI and a Navy Pension (23 years) I have been able to live comfortably here in Ipanema watching my income grow as the Real tumbles...

Thanks for clearing that up..... your explanation makes perfect sense now.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team