Carrying of passport.

Hello Folks,

I had read on some government site that a person should always have your passport with you. What happens in Ecuador? Is this rule applied? The same rule for Russia, Ukraine and China, but nobody does.

I have read that in Ecuador, it is acceptable to carry a photocopy of your passport.

Bryon is correct,

If you carry a locally notarized color photocopy of your passport with you, you will be just fine.  No need to tote around the original.

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.comwww.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

I only travel with a color, non-notarized  copy, unless I'm going on a flight.   I've only been asked for ID once at a drug trafficking control checkpoint between Quito and Tena. Everybody on the bus had to get off, they searched bags, and checked ID. They had nothing to say about the copy.  One guy I was with didn't have any ID at all and they sort of seemed perturbed by it, but assumed we were just ignorant travelers and let us go.

I have heard a US passport can be worth as much as $10,000, so it should be protected. I carried a photo copy, and was stopped at a roadblock. The taxi driver submitted all his I.D. and paperwork, then we gave them our photo copies of our passports, and he barely looked at them. I don't know what we were stopped for, they didn't check us out, nor the inside of the taxi or the trunk. Maybe just the drivers documentation?
I keep my passport in a safe, unless traveling in and out of airports.

I have lived in ec for 3 years been through countless traffic stops, have never been asked once for a passport. Might be good to have a copy with you incase you tip over or get run over, they can figure out who you are and contact someone, but they most likey would bother doing that. they pretend to pay the police and the police pretend to work.

t

I've carried my passport on maybe three-four occasions in the year+ that I've been here -- times I knew I would need it (e.g., a visit to the US Consulate).

Otherwise, I carry a photocopy, which it turns out I've never needed.

In Ecuador, you need a color copy everywhere. Even the supermarket. But, once you get your cedula, it's no longer required. The cedula trumps all here.
Neil
Ps. no need for notarization in Cuenca.

Neil:

Why the heck would a supermarket want to see my passport?

(I suspect the answer will be along the lines of "Don't ask -- they do, and so you need to just deal with it.")

Bob

Only if you are using a credit/debit card...maybe a check and don't have a cedula.  As ZenSpike said, cedula trumps all

Mike

Bob,
I think it has to do with taxes. The reason I say that, is they even ask here when paying with cash. They also require your phone number.
If you go to a little tienda or restaurant, they don't bother you for it. Just the large stores.
I have yet to have a police person ask me for any documents. Of course, all the government offices want the whole 9 yards.
Stay Well,
Neil

According to Ecuadorian tax law, you can take food etc off your taxes but need a "factura" in your name and with your cedula number. 

There is no standard deduction like in US tax laws. If you have the receipts (facturas) then one can deduct it from taxes. 

This is also true for tercer edad with the SRI...at least to a certain amount of monthly rebate.

I know families here that everything they buy is in the name of the breadwinner.

Mike

quito0819 wrote:

According to Ecuadorian tax law, you can take food etc off your taxes but need a "factura" in your name and with your cedula number. 

There is no standard deduction like in US tax laws. If you have the receipts (facturas) then one can deduct it from taxes. 

This is also true for tercer edad with the SRI...at least to a certain amount of monthly rebate.

I know families here that everything they buy is in the name of the breadwinner.

Mike

Why would the passport and or other documentation not be optional then? Ok, if the person is getting a tax break/deduction then understand wanting it all documented, but someone like me who may only be visiting a month or two, then what in the world would I care about a tax deduction? Plus am assuming since am not a resident/citizen, and only a tourist that I wouldn't qualify anyway for any deductions.

Yes, I know just smile, and say gracias, and do what ever they want, but I swear still makes no sense why in the world they would need to see my documentation.

No clue.  If I say, even at SperMaxi, consumidor final they don't ask for any other documentation.

BTW, some purchases that a tourist makes can be tax free.  Or so I have read.

Get past Ecuador's request for your credentials and look beyond this to our homeland as in security. Do you really think Ecuador cares but think what the NSA and other agencies have been doing and then pose the question to yourself again. Does ecuador really want to know your living styles as well as your habits and monetary holdings? Come on really?
Amazing what they are doing right under your noses and mine to except I know their reasoning. Ditto your bank accounts which are really SCRUTINIZED. Can anyone name another country in the world who expects taxes being paid for work you do in another country? Yes you pay that country but good ole America does and does by monitoring your bank and your spouses if applicable they can really paint quite  a picture of your activities. paranoid, should be. Doubt me if you dare!

I thought the subject was Ecuador.

timo31750 wrote:

Get past Ecuador's request for your credentials and look beyond this to our homeland as in security. Do you really think Ecuador cares but think what the NSA and other agencies have been doing and then pose the question to yourself again. Does ecuador really want to know your living styles as well as your habits and monetary holdings? Come on really?
Amazing what they are doing right under your noses and mine to except I know their reasoning. Ditto your bank accounts which are really SCRUTINIZED. Can anyone name another country in the world who expects taxes being paid for work you do in another country? Yes you pay that country but good ole America does and does by monitoring your bank and your spouses if applicable they can really paint quite  a picture of your activities. paranoid, should be. Doubt me if you dare!

The income exclusion for work you do in a foreign country is about $96,000/year in 2013.  So if you earned over $96,000 and must pay USA taxes on it, please inform us how you accomplished this.  If the foreign income is investment income, rentals etc, you can take a tax credit for taxes paid in the foreign country on your USA return.  Want to avoid this?  Denounce your USA citizenship.

When we were in Quito a few months ago, we carried color photo copies sometimes but often forgot to bring them. We were asked for our passport numbers on a few occasions such as when making a high  dollar purchase in a clothing store in the mall . I didn't have my photo copy with so I simply pulled out my Tennessee Drivers License and gave them that number and they accepted it!

Hola,
I have made copies of all my documents, Passport, VISA as well as my Cedula and laminated each one of them.  I ONLY carry the copies on me and leave the originals at home

help the newbie, please.  what is a "tercer edad with the SRI" ?  thank you

jm141302 wrote:

I only travel with a color, non-notarized  copy, unless I'm going on a flight.   I've only been asked for ID once at a drug trafficking control checkpoint between Quito and Tena. Everybody on the bus had to get off, they searched bags, and checked ID. They had nothing to say about the copy.  One guy I was with didn't have any ID at all and they sort of seemed perturbed by it, but assumed we were just ignorant travelers and let us go.

I hit that same checkpoint without ID. I told them I left my passport in my house. They had absolutely no interest in me. I've made that trip several times, and it's only on this last one that the bus got stopped and searched. I have to wonder if it might be related to the two weirdos trying to sell drugs to tourists at the Tena bus station. Maybe some sort of coordinated set-up.

customade wrote:

Hello Folks,

The same rule for Russia, Ukraine and China, but nobody does.

Ohhhhh yes they do.

I have learned in ecuador nothing stands firm nothing you can go through a get 97 times and on 98 you are kicked out of the country for a copy what can i say....i would agree never go on a plane with any copies or with out cedula card pass port all of everything.,,,what one person wants another might want i carry everything abd politely shake my head. Garcias.
You are in their country!!!!!!!!!
Why do they do this they want to keep their jobs and the job is more important then even our jobs and they have supervisors watching their every move..
One of my friend was being trained for a gov job here and her pony tail hit her shoulder
the woman trainering her went along with scissiors and just scalloped off her hair because it was not to touch the uniform.,,she came home demoralized crying sad but wanted the job so bad her boy friend comforted her emtionally and said the training  was almost done and she was smart and pretty any way her hair wouldgrow dont worry....she got the job point they are covering their jobs and must succeed must,,,,follow the rules have tge original at all times period protect yourself from a situation,

sischauf

SRI is equivelent to the IRS in the States.  Tercer Edad would be senior citizens.

According to Ecuadorian law all (including foreign residents with a cedula) senior citizens are entitled to rebates on IVA taxes up to, I think, $160 a month.  That is a general statement.  No idea how this plays out if one is not receiving a pension but is working. 

Mike

Their system work well just slowly but well....i was honored to arrive  over 65 darn then could not get their gov ins because i did contribute.  now it took maybe 3 months to get my tax refunds by turning in my receipts the amt is $170.00 a mo.... But you have to spend a lot of money to get $170.00  in tax a mo. They put it automatically into your savings....  a senior is very greatful for every penny believe me....i think it is wonderful respectable to seniors wow...now you do have to have a cedula card and fill out other papers at the tax office.  but the people are wonderful and kind respectful.....the money really helps it doesnt pay for all my medicine but it keeps me going thank you ecuadot god bless you

Updating this 2013 thread about carrying your ID, whether passport or cédula...

Make sure you bring the original....

...if you are going to the bank.  Don't expect them to give you cash without a valid ID.

...if you are traveling out of town or on a plane.

...if you are going to a government office.  If it is your embassy, bring two picture IDs to be safe if you have them.

...if you are going to a nightclub.  Security is important there, and some clubs in Quito have started demanding original IDs...or they will not let you enter.

...if you are receiving government-subsidized health care.

...if you are in doubt as to whether to bring it.  Murphy's Law applies:  if you don't bring it, it will be required.

You do not need to bring it to SuperMaxi.  If one in a thousand cashiers says it is necessary, her jefe will overrule her.

Some Expats may tell you that you don't need the original for one or more of the above examples.  Just remember, they're 100 percent right...until the day they are wrong.

cccmedia in Quito

After two years here I have and still do, carry my original drivers license, original cedula, as well as a color copy of my passport. Nothing more nothing less.

My cedula has been proper ID for any purchase made to date. I have yet to show or be asked to show my passport. Except when flying of course.