Tips for getting your first job in Mexico

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Mexico?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Mexico?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Young professional ....  At what ?

If you are Mexican or have a Visa Permanente then just about every angle can be tried.

If you are not here and not legal to work you need to visit, get the job, then go back to your country and apply for a working Visa.

Lots of foreign companies are here and getting hired by them with a Mexico placement - if your Spanish is good - is the best

Otherwise teaching English or Entertainment Coordinator at a large resort

Hi,

You can search online on  craigslists to begin with. Choose your area and hope for the best. As far as it goes with visa requirements. You can exist in any company as a trainee. Afterwards, a good company will help you with your IMM papers.

Now, if you are in sales, I can help you get a job.

Also, it depends were in Mexico are you looking to get a job.

What are your skills/preferences.

Hi guys, I was living in Cancun for 14 years, I am from Argentina. Now law changes and you need to find a job and later go outside the country to wait the letter of company or apply for a work visa. But is Mexico, some people pay some many to immigration authorities (corruption) and never need to go outside the country.
I don´t recommend to go there if you are find a job like a bartender, receptionist or waiter because this is stole opportunities to mexican citizens. But in some profesional or technical areas they need some applicants no matter nationalities. especially in resorts areas like Cancun, Los Cabos, Riviera Maya... 13 years ago I started my company as e-Commerce Consulting for Hotels and was an area where no mexican people. Now is different because this is a known area. But for example Cancun, Riviera maya and Cabos are very young cities and have so many needs, and that open a range of opportunities.

To find profesional jobs go to Computrabajo.com.mx, Monster, LInkedin (contact Headhunters in Mexico), in Cancun Asociación de Hoteles de Cancun Bolsa de Trabajo.
Don´t use local newspapers is a waste of time as Craigslist.

Regards, sorry my English is not my mother tongue and I use it only for internal communication. Not to write books o articles hahaha.
Have fun.

Almost impossible unless you have FHM.

terter1990 wrote:

FHM ?????

FM1 or FM2? I'm sorry, I get confused as to the exact initials. Brain surgery.

are you aware how little jobs in mexico pay?

Finding work is difficult unless you have a special talent and there's a company that needs you as a technician , etc. Or you're an entrepreneur and start your own business, Government regulations can make that a costly option... or you can find something to do they pays Cash only and you may run the risk of getting deported. Just saying.... depends on many things, if you are married to a native then you can put everything in your spouses name... dont make your spouse angry or you may lose everything.  I worked illegally for many years (as an intrepreter and other jobs ) but I had to be careful cause I knew if I got deported for working illegally it would be a big problem. Even now, I'm 100% legal and it's still a struggle. Hope you have a nice pension.

sparksmex wrote:
terter1990 wrote:

FHM ?????

Neither have existed  for 4 plus years.   Temporal or Permanente now

As others have mentioned it is not so easy to get legitimate employment in Mexico unless you are sponsored by a multinational company.  I've read accounts of expats working without a work visa who have been deported and unable to return to Mexico so  anyone who contemplates working in non-legitimate job should consider this.  Most countries have very strict requirements about foreigners working in their country.  And as others have mentioned, the pay is very low across the board.

I would like to do voluntary work in Mexico in animal rescue.  I do not expect to be paid and I will have my accommodation.  I have friends living in Mexico City - can anyone help me?

Just over a year ago I decided that I wanted to move to Mexico. I am 53, single and I have to work. So I decided that teaching English would be the perfect job for me. I did a lot of research before making my decisions. I chose to do the CELTA TEFL course in Mexico City so that I would have networking opportunities. I chose to go to Guatemala for 2 months to attend spanish language school before I went to Mexico City.

There are many English teaching jobs in some areas of Mexico, the beaches are not the place to look. You can teach English in primary and high schools as well as universities depending on your education and background. Or, like me, you can teach in a language school. There are plenty of business English teacher jobs in the automotive industry region of Mexico.

I have a work visa here in Mexico, after 4 years of work visas I can apply for permanent residence.Its common for a school to sponsor the work visa for an English teacher. If you are a native English speaker then its quite easy to get the work visa. On the work visa I can get on IMSS. My plan is to ultimately retire somewhere in Mexico, I'm setting myself up early. I guess you could say that right now I'm semi-retired and loving life.

HI

I am Australian and I have been to Mexico.  Since then I have attained my certificate as a Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL through the Australasian Training Academy).  Unfortunately most of the positions are in Asian Countries and I want to teach in Mexico.

I am going to Mexico again in September 2015.  Is there a person I can contact in Mexico City to advise me of positions available.  I do not need to work fulltime.

Thank you in anticipation.

Julie

VIVIR EN MEXICO wrote:

HI

I am Australian and I have been to Mexico.  Since then I have attained my certificate as a Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL through the Australasian Training Academy).  Unfortunately most of the positions are in Asian Countries and I want to teach in Mexico.

I am going to Mexico again in September 2015.  Is there a person I can contact in Mexico City to advise me of positions available.  I do not need to work fulltime.

Thank you in anticipation.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I do not have a contact name for you. There are many language schools in Mexico City including Berlitz and Harmon Hall. Mexico City is a tough city to teach English in because doing so involves a lot of commuting and the pay often isn't very good. You'll have to search online for jobs to apply to, Craigslist is useful as is Indeed.com. You will be competing for jobs with teachers who have CELTA which is often required in the better paying language schools.

Good luck to you,

Julie

Comment not directed at original poster but at some of the follow on comments.  This should be the very first step in your research when enquiring about work in a foreign country.

mexperience.com/lifestyle/living-in-mexico/visas-and-immigration/

Cheers

This is all very helpful.   I am planning, in fact, to just be in Mexico for four (4) months of each year.   Is it possible to work for a small business (ie: coffee cafe, street vendor, etc) so that I have some extra spending money?  Or do I have to go through the employment process like everyone else?

Go to the mexican immagration page, it tells you everythinh that is required when visiting or working in mexico

Getting deported would probably solve all my problems!! If I don't find a work-for-keep soon I'll be living on the streets, which doesn't seem to bother these damned Mexicans. Women on the streets getting raped or killed - why doesn't that bother them or why do they keep letting that happen? They just treat me like I should "go to my Embassy" as if Pound Sterling trees grow at the Embassy or like the Embassies "give" away enough money to pay rent for the amount of time a replacement passport would take to show up here! The British Embassy's website specifically says you must support yourself in the meantime!  I did get a three-month stint at a hostel here in Cancun this past spring/summer but now I can't find another one to save me from the damn streets! Or sleeping at Cancun Airport.

Oh but no, at first they treat me like I look like a damn Mexican or otherwise "Latina" the way even the English-speaking ones initially speak to me in Spanish and act like I should understand that!

I just have to hope that when/if I can get into Belize City they don't think I look "Guatemalan" or whatever because Belize is my LAST hope on this continent. Even the I.T. and law and maths jobs in Mexico are ignoring me. Or maybe Belize can deport me and MAKE the British or French Embassies issue a laissez-passe without all the administrative rubbish they've given me over the last 9 months.

And I don't get why the three months I was "housed" wasn't long enough for MAIL to show up in Cancun. I had to send for things TWICE and they still never arrived. Belize, it would have been two WEEKS not months and months and it never arrives, sort of rubbish. And as for another hostel-gig, all the other hostels, it seems, I walk in to and ask about "voluntariado" and it seems no one speaks English. Service sucks, the places are dirty, bedbug-ridden, whatever, so they're not doing their JOB but "they speak Spanish." And no English. Wow. And as for TEFL - apply and apply and apply and never hear back from any place, story of my life. At least on North AmeriKKKa. In other parts of the world I could keep a roof over my head by being an Au Pair. I've done that before.

Well pkennedy1990 ,

I really think you won't like Belize, it will not solve your problems. First, it is more expensive than Cancun. Yes, they do speak English, but they also use the dollar, which you may know is more than the Peso.  It doesn't seem that you care for any of the places you have been, and for some reason in Cancun, where many speak English, you have not found any of them.

If I were you I would seek help from family and friends back in England/ Ireland/  Scotland (assumed because of the pound sterling comment) They could perhaps help you get back home where even if you continue to be miserable, you will at least be in familiar territory.

Good luck.

Sounds like a trip gone wrong, pkennedy 1990.  But it also sounds like you came very ill-prepared and probably uninformed.  I owned a home in Belize for many years (on Ambergris Caye) and one thing most British and American people learn about Belize:  you have not arrived in the land of opportunity, you just left it.  Same goes for Mexico.

Personally, I really dislike your verbiage when describing "these damned Mexicans".  You are a guest in their nation.  Be polite and learn the language.  You'll do better. 

Lastly, your "KKK" in the middle of North America is particularly rude.  Mexico is part of North America and while racism is fairly common there, it's usually not against British people.  Maybe it's you.

I wanted job opportunities in Mexico so I went into the manufacturing industry. That was how I did it. However it's not like I'll choose the place I want to live and then get a job. You get the job and then take the place where the job is.

Thanks for your informative message. I am an architect in Texas who lives on and off in Oaxaca where I have been going since I was 16 when I was sent there to learn Spanish. In retirement I would probably earn more in architecture, particularly ifI could find a consulting firm that specialized in large hotel or recreational swimming pools. I designed water parks and the Atlanta  Olympic Pools. But I have a Masters In TESOL. I just need curriculum or textbook. Do you have a recommendation? I could start teaching soon then work on architecture later.