What is the typical cost of living for a student in KL?

I plan to pursue a PhD degree in University of Malaya. After researching, I have found that living costs varies a lot, but I have a guess is that 700 USD is adequate for my lifestyle and the expenses can be broken down into:

-    Shared and furnished student accommodation in a condo including electricity and gas bills: 200-250 USD
-    Food (with once a day meal in an inexpensive restaurant): 200-250 USD
-    Personal care and some traditional medication: 50-100 USD
-    Books and printing (books would not be bought every month): 50 USD
-    Miscellaneous (Internet, phone charge, laundry, ironing, etc): 60-80 USD
-    Gym: 50 USD

The budget does not include leisure or clothing. I appreciate it if someone in Malaysia (or have been to Malaysia) would help me decide whether this budget and its distribution make sense.

For a household which earn MYR3k per month.
They would fall into the category of "Poor".
That should give you an idea for the cost of living.

Greenback fare well now (USD1 = +/- MYR3.75).
So if you budget USD700 per month for yourself (01 person).
Which suffice for a "poor" family then you should be OK.

@ al-motasem - hi there, sorry I have no answers for you but I do have a question, what program are you studying and what made you choose UM? Good luck with your studies.  :top:

musafir1975 wrote:

@ al-motasem - hi there, sorry I have no answers for you but I do have a question, what program are you studying and what made you choose UM? Good luck with your studies.  :top:

UM is one of two universities in Malaysia that has academics involved in the area that I intend to work on (the other one is Putra). Also, many people who graduate from there either get a postdoctoral position or even become lecturers in the university itself. :)