Employee Dismissal in Norway

Just today I have been asked by my manager to choose between voluntarily resign or to be dismissed because the company is not doing so well and they want to invest the cost on another area of human resource.

Not a nice thing to go through, but I need to give an answer in a few days.  I would like to learn my option here, what are the pluses and minuses of choosing resign or dismissal.

They are eager that I choose to resign, which is obviously will be good for the company since it will eliminate any legal liability. But they have an argument saying that if I choose to resign it will look better for me since I can make up stories during applying for a new job. Is this true?

Could you share your experience if this has happened among your friends or maybe yourself? I don't know what to do and I'm still in shock.

you still need to ask experts,

but just one important comment: making up stories is not a proper way to join new work ,

People are losing jobs all over Norway by thousands, due to oil crisis which affects every thing, and all other sectors.

no shame about this and nothing to worry about or to hide.

Best wishes to recover your work situation very soon.
regards,

Are they talking about dismissal as in SACKING you or retrenchment?  I think Sack and retrench are two very different situations.  If you are being sacked, it does mean it looks bad on you.  BUT if you are being retrenched, that is not within your control because it could be due to market downturn or business restructuring etc.

There is no real advantage of resigning, you should take the package they will have to offer for your dismissal. Although the money may not be so big,depending on your tenure, it is still something. There should be also a proper process in deciding who should leave as there are rules for this sort of things,

Normally does the employee still have to go to work during the notice period?

tskywalker wrote:

Normally does the employee still have to go to work during the notice period?

It depends on your agreement with your employer.  We have staff who resigned and even though they have notice period written in their contract, they do not have to return to work.  our HR call such period "leave of absence".  They still get paid...so it is like a paid vacation.  It usually happen to roles that have access to confidential data or the staff is going to work in a competitor company.