New Member - Moving to DR ??

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I just came back from 2 week vacation in the DR seeing my girlfriend and her family with my mother. I am half spaniard and half american. My mother is planning on moving to the DR this year, she gets a pension every month from my late father around 3 thousand a month. I also want to live there as me and my girlfriend want to get married and live in her country.

The questions I have please and I can't find them anywhere is if I go there on a Tourist visa and marry my girlfriend within days, can I stay in the country legally and start the residency papers there ? If not can my mom take me as her dependent, as she is going to apply for the residency visa from states before she moves there ? I am 42 years old and my mom is 65 years old.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.  SO the quick answer is no to both.  You must start your residency from there and continue it here.   Here is a link to the residencia thread:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

And no honey, at your age you are not a dependent.....  :)

Planner is correct  you need to start the process there in the US at either the Dominican embassy in Washington DC or at one of the numerous consulates.  I believe the closest to you will be in Chicago.

OH and welcome to the forum

Bob K

So I would have to get married there and then come back to the states and start process here ?

do you know what I have to do after i get married in DR and come back to the states to start paperwork ? what sort of things do I need to fill out or send to embassy ?

Ok you can start before you get married. Go to the thread I posted and read it,  the info is all there.

Okay but if I am not retired nor have a job there yet can I still apply here in the states now ? or can I have my mom vouch for me ?

I am just confused sorry. So okay can I start the process in the US before I get married to my girlfriend in the DR ? And can I still do it even if I am not retired nor have a job ready for me in the DR ? Can my mother vouch for me ?

Yes you can start any time you want.  You do have to show solvency however ie job, savings, income etc.
Bob K

Hey bob I heard that if I marry a Domincan in the Dominican Republic I am entitled to citizenship and can stay in the country while the process goes on and don't have to return to the USA ?  I would love to become citizen of the DR.Do you know a good lawyer in santo domingo ?

I believe you still have to get your temporary residency like everyone else and this needs to start in the US or your home country.

Planner has a good lawyer in the Santo Domingo area and I am sure she will be along here shortly and post his info.

I have a very good lawyer but she is in Santiago.

Good luck

Bob K

I did the exact same thing - got my citizenship via marriage.  The rules are (or at least when I did it) different if you are a male vs. a female so be careful about what you hear.  A female marrying a male Dominican was eligible for citizenship right away and did not need to apply for residency first.  However, a male marrying a female Dominican, as was my case and is yours, must have temporary residency for six months before applying for citizenship. 

When I did it I did not have to start the residency from within the States, but now you have to.  The rules have changed and there are papers you must get from the Dominican consulate in your country to get the temporary residency started. 

Once you arrive here you can continue the process to get your temporary residency which will be good for one year.  As noted you can start citizenship six months after you get married.  So if you get married quickly you can start it before your residency expires.  However citizenship is not fast and I hear it is slower these days due to Interpol backlog.  So while you are waiting for citizenship to complete you must renew your residency every time it expires.  However, the renewals do not require you to go back to your country so once you get here you can stay as long as you keep your paperwork up to date.

The process has changed somewhat for citizenship,  by marrying a Dominican woman,  men now qualify.   So,  get your paperwork started  at home,  come here, get married then deposit your residencia papers with the information you are now married. I believe your new wife becomes the reason for residencia.  You need to confirm this with a lawyer.

I recommend Wilson Rood, he goes by Billy  [email protected]  He is in Santo Domingo where you have to go to apply. He speaks perfect English as he is American/Dominican.  He is also reasonably priced! 

Good luck and I will be waiting for our invites to the wedding!!!!   :D:D:D

Planner thanks.  I knew you would come along with Wilson's contact info

Bob K

a su orden.................

Hi Planner what paperwork do I need to get statred at home first ?

Ok I will force feed you: Go to this forum thread and read:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

Thanks Mommy :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Hello JRedman

Welcome to Quizqueya before all!

I read you are half Spaniard, therefore I suppose you are good with Spanish. Please consider having a look at this link that has the MOST and up to date information in terms of immigration for DR, as this is the site of El Ministerio de relaciones exteriores de Republica Dominicana ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs ) which informs, and provide ALL the forms to apply for the different immigration statuses available in Dominican Republic, this way you can have some work started by your own.

This is it:  http://consuladord.com/contenidos.aspx? … mp;lang=ES

Best of luck!