Which bank is best for foreigner's needs?

I need to open a bank account in Mauritius. I already have my residence permit.
Which bank has the easiest procedure of opening account for foreigners. Also provides card for online shopping, etc.
Need Advice urgently!

MCB

Hi...

All banks provide debit, credit and prepaid cards which you can use online...however many foreigners choose international banks like HSBC and Barclays for convenience.

MCB is good. Charges may be high for the International banks.

Most foreigners choose Barclays...

The question is mainly which banks do you also have back home? Eg. I'm French and when I go to France I withdraw money using my Mauritian card from an HSBC ATM, there's no transaction fee.

I didn't check with other international banks though.

As for online shopping, only issue I had with HSBC is they call me from time to time to confirm the transaction is legit. Not a big deal. Colleagues banking with MCB usually encounter issues with online payment.

I just opened my account with MCB.  Quick and easy. Card + Internet banking set up on the spot.  I haven't tried online shopping yet but opening was not a problem.

1. Passport
2. Work permit AND certificate.
3. Water/Electricity/Mauritius telecom bill
4. If the bill does not reflect your name/address, you need the ID & a letter stating you live with that person whos name it does reflect on.

Personal account opening is pretty much the same everywhere with details mentioned by arfness :)

Most of the expats I know are banking with either Barclays or HSBC.
Read post #7 on this thread for requirements .

We bank with Bank One and are very happy with the service we get :)
Although I have never tried to use the Visa card outside of Mauritius as we still use our UK bank account when in the UK but I am sure there would be problem ;)

We have found MCB to be the best

Rosiewestie wrote:

We bank with Bank One and are very happy with the service we get :)
Although I have never tried to use the Visa card outside of Mauritius as we still use our UK bank account when in the UK but I am sure there would be problem ;)

Should read: But I am sure there would be No problem ;)

I use SBM they are also very good , I  pay my bills through their system and can top up my mobiie phone at the ATM.

I would like to open an account at MCB as I´m expat they require a statement form my bank at home (europe) .
has anybody an example/template to use what has to be written in this statement?

They in fact require a 'Bank Reference', certifying that you have satisfactorily maintained a bank account with a reputable bank for a specific period of time.