Help in bringing car in from Abu Dhabi

So does anyone know how to do the following:  My wife (different last name) purchased a new Jeep in Abu Dhabi last December but left shortly afterwards to take a new job in Russia.  I've accepted a job in Riyadh and wish to bring the car (which is in storage in the UAE)into the country. Any thoughts on this  would be most appreciative.

From my experience, it's hard to get the car, even if your last names are the same. I think your wife should transfer the property to yours, and then, you could get it.

Best of luck!

Ramon,

Ramon,
Thanks for the info.  We are going to transfer names and then take it from there.  It looks like I'll fly into the UAE, do the paper work and see if I can drive it into Saudi,
Bruce

Good luck, Bruce.

Be sure that you can't sell the car unless you have it for 5 years or get exit visa.
ask for that

khweleh wrote:

Be sure that you can't sell the car unless you have it for 5 years or get exit visa.
ask for that

Are you sure about that?
As far as I know (we lived for 9 years in Saudi and have owned several cars), if the car has been paid in full, you can sell it whenever you want.
However, if you want to export the car, it should have been paid in full and have been owned for at least six months.
Hope this helps.
Arlette

brucesykes wrote:

Ramon,
Thanks for the info.  We are going to transfer names and then take it from there.  It looks like I'll fly into the UAE, do the paper work and see if I can drive it into Saudi,
Bruce

Hello brucesykes,

I am new in Riyadh, and I found a car in Dubai that I would like to buy and import it to Riyadh, can you please tell me what did you do and what papers you need to have and most important, FROM WHERE TO GET THEM?
How much does it cost to export it from UAE (paper work and else).
When you reach KSA's boarders, also how much will cost, and will I have to re-pay the car customs if it was already paid in UAE (another GCC country)?

Overall, around how much everything cost you?

I will really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Nael

Hi Nael

To export car from the UAE is not difficult and I suggest you drive it with export plates to Saudi. Make sure you arrive to the borders during working hours in order to have the customs officer on duty to process your car. Otherwise you would be obliged to say at the border until next day if not week end!!!
At Saudi border you will have to pay importation tax and the amount depends on model and market price. The car must be less than 5 years old. at the border they will remove UAE plates and issue Saudi (import)plated valid 1 month or so. Ones in Riyadh you will have to do few running around: go the customs office at the main train station to get car registered, go to SASO (Saudi Standard Org-near Imam Al Saud university, then you need to go to roadworthy test on Dammam road (not fare from the building shape that looks like big ship), after roadworthy you will have to go to 'mooror' traffic police that is right next to road worthy. In mooror you need to insure your car and obtain Saudi plates. If you are importing 4x4 you need to have document obtained from the central traffic police office in Nasaria that you have wife and children otherwise you will not be able to register your car on your name. I did this all few month back and it has taken me 3 days, few 100's kilometers and some 5000 riyal. It was GMC Yukon 2007-FYI!!! If you get stacked I can put you in touch with the person who helped me with some service charges for who has saved me lots of time and trouble.
Good luck
Kenan

Kenan_H wrote:

Hi Nael

To export car from the UAE is not difficult and I suggest you drive it with export plates to Saudi. Make sure you arrive to the borders during working hours in order to have the customs officer on duty to process your car. Otherwise you would be obliged to say at the border until next day if not week end!!!
At Saudi border you will have to pay importation tax and the amount depends on model and market price. The car must be less than 5 years old. at the border they will remove UAE plates and issue Saudi (import)plated valid 1 month or so. Ones in Riyadh you will have to do few running around: go the customs office at the main train station to get car registered, go to SASO (Saudi Standard Org-near Imam Al Saud university, then you need to go to roadworthy test on Dammam road (not fare from the building shape that looks like big ship), after roadworthy you will have to go to 'mooror' traffic police that is right next to road worthy. In mooror you need to insure your car and obtain Saudi plates. If you are importing 4x4 you need to have document obtained from the central traffic police office in Nasaria that you have wife and children otherwise you will not be able to register your car on your name. I did this all few month back and it has taken me 3 days, few 100's kilometers and some 5000 riyal. It was GMC Yukon 2007-FYI!!! If you get stacked I can put you in touch with the person who helped me with some service charges for who has saved me lots of time and trouble.
Good luck
Kenan

Hi Kenan,
Thanks alot for your help and fast reply :)
And yes please, i will be grateful if you send me his number and info and how can he help, may i will need his help eventually.
Thank you very much Kenan.
FYI, about the 4x4, u can pay 100-500 ryals and take the car into KSA even if you werent married! just need some little connections.

Thanks again =)

Dear Kenan; I could use his number aswell. I am bringing in an Audi from Abu Dhabi. Thx.

i am in the process of bringing a Harley Davidson from Abu Dhabi to Dammam i know the rules are the same for cars and bikes the bike must have export plates before it can be registered in KSA. i am just going to use a a local Harley shop to do all the transfers for for cost will be around 500 SAR but the will included rego. Im sure similar deals can be done with the agent for the type of car you are to bring in.

johnfog wrote:

i am in the process of bringing a Harley Davidson from Abu Dhabi to Dammam i know the rules are the same for cars and bikes the bike must have export plates before it can be registered in KSA. i am just going to use a a local Harley shop to do all the transfers for for cost will be around 500 SAR but the will included rego. Im sure similar deals can be done with the agent for the type of car you are to bring in.

My friend gave me this idea couple of days ago, but won't it cost much more because we'll have to transfer the car's owner name twice? How much does each transfer cost?
And also, what if I want to buy a car from there and then ship it here through the shop? How can I be sure that the shop won't buy it for himself and deal with it and rip me off the car if the payment was after getting it, or ripping off the money if the payment was prior to getting it?
In other words, how can I make a shop buy me a car from abu-dhabi, transfer it to KSA and do all the papers, with not too high service costs and guaranteed service?

i already own the harley in Abu Dhabi so the shop can not take it . Things may be different with harleys as most shops do transfers between each other all the time. if you enter into an argeement with the shop you have to be sure who you are dealing with and that they can be trusted . take all paper work to local police and have them stamp it this will shop the shop from doing anything wrong.

Hi Adam,

The gentelmen speaks arabic only. Will it still help?

Cheers
Kenan

AdamK wrote:

Dear Kenan; I could use his number aswell. I am bringing in an Audi from Abu Dhabi. Thx.

So it should be not more than 5 years old. My car had year of manufacture as 2007 can i bring it now in year 2012 ?

sajmad wrote:

So it should be not more than 5 years old. My car had year of manufacture as 2007 can i bring it now in year 2012 ?

It has become dead strict on bringing cars in. We tried allsort to get our car back in using various influential people and trying to re register on old plates and all sorts but the long and short is that if it is over 5 years you have little to no chance. You should still be ok with a 2007 but I would query it first as they may take the age at the end of the year or on the exact date of first registration. Unless you have a special reason for needing that particular car, you may be better off just leaving it and getting a temp in KSA anyway.

Thanks for your reply.
My car is 2007 make. But first registration was in May 2008. So do I quailfy that within 5 year limit ? Still confused whether they use Manufatur year or the registartion date/year as the date for calculating the 5 year period.

You will have to check with customs or Saudi vehicle or traffic police or what ever they are. I would say probably yes you are on the edge of allowances and should be ok but I do not make the rules. Getting a vehicle into the country is one thing getting it registered is another

Bring my car to KSA from UAE?
1.Car on my name, KSA visa stamp on my passport i am coming from Pakistan via UAE so i can drive my car from UAE to KSA and transfer on KSA requirements,what are the difficulties arise..?
2.i can trsnfer the one of my frnd and he will come to KSA from UAAE and transfer car to me in KSA...is it possible,what are the difficulties arise..?

A local expat-blogger mate, named @Massari, wrote about the subject in details a few months back.

Here it is: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=114045

Thnx buddy

[moderated]

Hi EB Fellows!
Informative stuff...Great Forum

I am traveling from Qatar to Dubai by road going through the KSA border to UAE, i am applying for transit visas.......however we intend to use my wifes car, which is fully paid and registered under her name.........will this be an issue going through KSA border and i am aware that she cannot drive the car.....?

many thanks

Can I take my 2009 gmc envoy with me to abudahbi from saudia. I am going to shift abudahbi so want to take my car with me.pls give me details thanks

If car is less that 5Years old you can take your car. You can check with the agents. Check with them, they might help

Hi Kenan,

I am also trying to get a car from Dubai. Could you please help me with the Guy's number who helped you do the process.

Thanks in advance.

Ketan

Hi Dear i want to buy a car from dubai and bring back in riyadh during eid holidays kindly advice me the process or share me the number of the guy who did this process for you.  Regards  Imran

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid your personal contact on the forum

Hi Kenan,

I'm hoping you are still active on this forum. Your contact would be of great help to me right now.

Much appreciated.

Hi Ib007,

Most members on this thread have not been active recently. I suggest you create a new thread so that you may get some updated information.

All the best,
Bhavna