Costs of every day things .

Bob - good answers!!!  Except-  her husband is Dominican,  he is or can be a citizen immediately.  Lisa, as the spouse of a Dominican you need residencia that immediately allows you to apply for citizenship.

The gov't just announced new programs for mortgages for Dominican people but the details are sketchy and linked to income.

Come down,  get settled and after a year or two think about buying a place.

I believe your husband has the right to bring a container full of household items here!  I will try to confirm this today for you and I can recommend a shipper as well.  Let me find the details.

Hello
What is the approximate cost of residency (incl renewals) and cedula in DR?  Also how much do Humano and Universal cost (roughly) for dental and vision care as well as the regular coverage for a single person and what is the waiting period before it takes effect?  I'm trying to get an idea of what my cost of living would be in Cabarete (or Sosua).

Residencia and cedula - somewhere between US 800 - almost do it yourself and US 1,800 with overpriced laywer.  The fellow I work with is between 1,000 and 1,200 US.  YOu will have to ask about renewals as I would never prepay that.  I would pay at the time of renewal.

With Insurance it depends on the package and the group or individual plans.  As I have indicated before I work with Humano with a group I manage, and I offer two levels of cover One at about US 35 and the other at about US 47.  both offer  dental and prescription coverage.

Waiting time -  I only know Humano is about a week.  IF it is a group work related package then it is normally 90 days.

Thanks Planner!
Do you usually apply for the residency and cedula at the same time? 
And is there health coverage for vision as well?  My family has a history with ALL the eye diseases and some are hereditary...not the best news for an artist!
I thought that the waiting period was longer so that is good to know that it's a week.
Thanks again!

You can't get the cedula until you have your residency.

Any pre existing conditions will have an exclusion just like USA or Canada.  BUT if you don't have it yet, then it is covered.

And the average is a week, I've had some go faster, then we just wait to get the card.  Once its approved I can get the number, then you would be covered.

Thanks!
Luckily I'm fine now so I'd better get down there before something does happen!

As good a reason as any to get down here!!!!

You can actually apply for residency and cedula as the same time as we did and got both cards on the same day about 5 months after application

Some of the insurances will allow for pre existing after a certain waiting period. With Universal I believe our waiting period was 18 months.

Bob K

Thanks Bob and Planner for all your information.  I have to wait for residency as I don't qualify finance wise as a “retiree” but I can still start the process.  How does that affect the cedula?  As residency in process so to speak will I be able to do things that a resident can do?  I don't plan to drive (in the beginning anyway) or look for work (I'm planning on being self-employed) but I do want to have residency status.

You can do most everything except work (some place would still take you)  without residency.  Once you get here you get started.  You can open bank accounts, rent or buy apt or house, open a business etc without residencia......   

For insurance you don't need it at all,  just apply using your passport for ID.

I believe you can apply for a Cedula with out applying for residency and you will need that to work here legally

Bob K

Sorry Bob that is incorrect - no residency no cedula!!!!  Unless you skip residencia and go straight to citizenship......LOL But that is another topic.

Okay that's interesting, I was sure you needed to be a legal resident for most things like opening a bank account, starting a business etc...so to live legally in the DR without residency status will a passport be sufficient?  Also to be self-employed do you need a cedula? (I'm going to start another thread on self-employment as that's what I would like to do when I do get down there).

Planner you are correct on them being together. It think when we applied 8 years ago you could get a cedula now I am not sure so I will agree with you.

annieloraine You can open a bank account with out residency. If you are self employed you are still supposed to pay Dominican Taxes and for that you will need an RNC number (tax number)and for that you need your residency/cedula.  They are cracking down on those who live here and a have not gotten their residency.

Bob K

Thanks, I plan on applying for residency anyway (and cedula) just wasn't sure if I would do it right away and you have helped me with that.  Now as I mentioned before I have to go through the process of residency and won't have permanent residency for a couple of years but can I still get a cedula in the interim?

As soon as you get provisional residency you can get your cedula! 

bob is right while you CAN live here without going thru the residencia process, the government is cracking down. I say, if you plan to stay here long term,  get the residencia.

Depending on what lawyer you use you should be able to get both within 6 months of applying.

Bob K

Hey guys, i know this isn't about moving to the DR, but my mother and I are travelling to the DR in June for a charity trip to help build some houses for two weeks, and we were wondering what would be a recommended amount of money to bring with us? We won't be doing too much stuff outside of the worksite, but we aren't sure what a good amount would be. Thanks. :)

It is different for everyone. Are your meals and lodging covered as this will be the major expense for you

Bob K

Yeah we are staying in an all inclusive hotel..

If you are staying in an AI and will be working all day on building projects you won't need much.

Bob K

hello Bob, I was reading all  your answers to the expats, and you always have good info, we are planning on early retirement with my husband, we live in kissimmee, fl., and we are  selling our house here ( house is paid-off), and buying in Sosua/Cabarete, where we will paid off too, so we are no having mortgage/rent, can we live there on u$s1,250 a month for 2 years?, we will need to paid for medical insurance too, thank you in advance.

With your housing paid for then yes this is doable for 2 years.   I  need to ask how old you are to see if you can get insurance here or not.  We cannot get coverage from age 65 on.  IF you buy coverage before age 65 then it continues as long as you pay the premiums.

Yes it is doable but depending on where you are living, what is included, what your HOA fees are, are you planning on haveing a car and numerous other things you wll find it a bit tight.

Planner is correct on the age 65 and insurance and i am sure you know yoru Mdicare is USLLESS here.

Bob K

annieloraine wrote:

Hello
What is the approximate cost of residency (incl renewals) and cedula in DR?  Also how much do Humano and Universal cost (roughly) for dental and vision care as well as the regular coverage for a single person and what is the waiting period before it takes effect?  I'm trying to get an idea of what my cost of living would be in Cabarete (or Sosua).

My annual cost of living in Sosua is about $35K USD.  I have a wife and no children in the house.  We have an awesome place and don't worry about spending money when we are out but at the same time we are not flashy and don't throw money away on ridiculous things.  We eat out a couple of nights a week and probably drink out more than we should LOL.  We don't use A/C so keep that in mind with the electric bill ours is about $70 per month).  We don't have a car.  Where we live I can walk to most things and it is good exercise.  Plus public transport is cheap if you are not afraid of it.  It can be a bit intimidating for a newcomer.  There is nothing we want.  If we want it we buy it.  All of that on $35K/year.  So that hopefully will give you some perspective. 

I have humano ARS for my wife and I.  Its the mid level plan and I pay about $30K pesos per year (so about $700 USD).  That does not include dental and vision though but as I recall the add-ons aren't that expensive if you want them. 

I did my residency without a lawyer.  It cost about $500 but its been a few years.  That includes the fees for all the paperwork from the U.S. also and mailing costs.  That was for the initial temporary residency.  If you get residency you can get a cedula for a few hundred pesos more.  I am a full citizen now but I don't think you are interested in that just yet.  It takes time.  You have to renew your residency every year, but the renewals are easier and cheaper.  At least that was the case for me.  I think I spent about $200 on my renewals. 

If you don't speak Spanish well and don't have anyone that can help you then you might need a good lawyer.  There are plenty not so good ones that are cheap but a good one is going to want more than $1,000.  At least that is what I saw when I asked around so that is why I decided to do it for myself.  It's a bit of a pain but it isn't impossible.   The most frustrating part for me was the people working in immigration couldn't agree with each other as to what the process was so I had to keep going back and forth from one thing to another until it got done.  I think a good lawyer does help a little bit by insisting that they get their act together but its kind of expensive in comparison.

We are goin to be 61 and 63 years old, and the houses paid HOE fees also?, what happen after 65 if you buy medical insurance a soon as you move to DR, they cancell your medical Insurance?, on 2,500 we are going to be tight also?, we are planning to transport our car from here, mile have low milege

Ok I get the answer, u$s 700 a year for a couple for medical insurance, OK

One caveat though.  My wife and I are younger.  I am 38 and she is 46.  So I don't know what happens with the health insurance as you get older.  Maybe someone else will have those answers. 

Are you saying $2,500/month?  That would e about $30K/year.  It just depends on what you do. My wife and I live on $35K/year and we have a nice two-bedroom ocean-front apartment and we party a lot.  I know people who live happily on much less than us but I also know some who can't make it nearly 2x as much.  It just depends on what you want to have and what you want to do. 

If it helps this is my basic breakdown for yearly costs.
Rent = $12K.  This includes all utilities, etc.  It is 2 bedroom ocean front and very nice.  I just moved here.  Before this we had a 3 bedroom house and were paying $600/month rent plus I had to pay utilities.  There my electric was about $70, cable and high speed internet = $130, garbage = $5 to $10 and water = $5 to $10.  So the house was a bit cheaper overall but I am loving being ocean front and not having to do the yardwork, etc. 

Health = $1K.  $700 medical insurance + $125 gym + copays, dental, vision, pharmacy, etc.  But we rarely go to the doctor for more than just a check up.

Clothes = $500. 

Gifts (for family) / Charity (not for family) = $2,000.

Groceries = $5K

Cell phone = $300

Salon, etc. = $200

transportation = $5K. Mostly motoconchos, guaguas and Caribe Tours for longer trips. But does include occassional rental cars. 

Fun!!! = $12K.  This is eating out, bar hopping, etc. 

So that adds up to about $38K.  That is about right.  I was at $35K at the old house but it is going to be a little more expensive at my new place.

cpj good information and an great idea on general living expenses.

When it comes to residency you need to renew every 2 years after the first and eventually you can get 4 years or more.

Bob K

With the health insurance -  once you hit age 65 you are still covered as long as you pay your premiums!   It will continue -  the premiums usually go  up every year based on the policy you have.  I run a Humano group - we have 2 coverage options and both include dental and prescription coverage.

CJ I would say you are at the higher end of standard of living.   Angie I think  2500 a  month with your house paid for is very doable!

Residency process has changed in the last 2 years. It is now both more expensive and more time consuming.  Go to this thread to see the details:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

I suggest using a lawyer to get this done.  It doesn't have to be expensive.

I agree.  I know we definitely are on the higher end.  2,500 with the house paid should not be tight at all.  My expenses are 3,000 but notice 1/3 is for the house and another 1/3 is for partying.  We do spend more than we need to.  I could easily see myself living happily here on half of what I do now and I know a few who do it.  But I don't need to and like to splurge sometimes.  In comparison I was spending about 5,500 a month in the U.S. by myself (no wife).  That said I know some that for some reason can't find a way to be happy here on any less than 5,000 a month which seems absurd to me.  It all comes back to what you want to do, what you want to have and how you are willing (or not) to do things.

Exactly true!!!   Its all about what is important to you and the lifestyle you choose. I lived very happily in Puerto Plata on less then 700 US a month (just me)  I am not a drinker or go out to dinner girl,  I love to dance and going out dancing is not expensive here.........   I had a nice apartment and a small car, it was easy for me. 

Now in La Romana I can live well on less then 1,000 US a month.

So, that means that you can enroll us for medical insurance?

planner wrote:

Sorry Bob that is incorrect - no residency no cedula !!!!  Unless you skip residencia and go straight to citizenship ......LOL But that is another topic.

posted by Planner on 11 Sep 2013

Good afternoon to all,
I just wonder if the above statement is still valid, and if so, what one can do to go straight to citizenship?

I have heard that one can apply after six months of residency, due to the interest of DR government to incentive investments and tourism in the DR - no need to wait for 2 yrs - true?

I have spoken to the local DR Consulate here,  and was informed that the application intended to residency HAS TO BE FILLED IN THE CONSULATE of origin, then it is forwarded to the proper authorities in the DR,  which then, will analyse the application and authorize (or not) the request, under a 60 day work visa (no tourist visa involved), so that the applicant can finalize the whole process in the DR. 

I also was informed that should one visit DR on a tourism visa, regardless of time spent in the country, he or she CANNOT fill any application for residency WHILE IN THE COUNTRY. Have to return to his or her Country of origin, in order initiate with the right proceed through the local Consulate.

The upper caps are to stress and emphasize the points therein - no yelling intendent to anyone.

I didn't bother with mine until after I got married. Once I got married I figured it would be pretty easy.  So I did my temporary residency as was a required first step at that time.  After six months I was able to apply for citizenship.  I got lucky because it looks like I was on the last group of people that got citizenship fairly quickly once the process is started.  I hear from others that it takes much longer now mostly due to Interpol delays. 

At the time I did mine there were other ways you could start citizenship after only having six months of temporary residency.  I think they had to do with investments and owning properly.  I'm not sure if those options still exist. 

I also know that if I were a woman and my wife was the man that at the time I did it I could go straight for citizenship and not even need temporary residency.  But being that I was the man and she was the woman I had to do the six months temporary residency first.  At that time I did not have to start it my own country but every one that I know that is doing it now says they are being told that they must begin the process in their own country.  There are documents that must be processed and signed at the consulate in your country of origin so that is the reason. 

I do know some people who are still choosing to wait and see what happens and aren't doing anything.  Honestly I'd probably be one of them if I didn't already have citizenship.  I don't think I would begin this process now.  But everyone has a different set of risk and reward and alternative options available so some people are trying to get it done no matter what it takes.

Yes currently you need to start the residency in your home country and the process is certainly more intense and confusing then when we did it 9 years ago.

For those not pursuing their residency and are here "illegally" you do run the risk of being deported.  No they are no looking at us Expats now but they certainly can in the future with the law behind them.  Plus if you get into any trouble here I doubt they would wait more than a minute or two before putting you on a plane.  So if you are willing to risk all you have here and "live" outside the "law" just know the consequences.

I heard a quote today that "making a decision is really not about right or wrong but about can you live with the consequences"

Bob K

YOu need to start residencia  at home, then  continue here.  IF you marry a Dominican  then you can apply for citizenship but you end up still doing the first part of residencia.....  so just get er done. Here is a link to the thread about residencia....https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

I do thank you guys, planner: Bob K and cjp 2010. 
You are fantastic, truly helpful advice, clues, threads and all sort of info, helping people for free,  just for the sake of having them on the right side of the street...
I do appreciate the effort, commitment and, if I may, I wish to express a 10+! (plus, with honor) for your attitude!
Who knows? - I might join you soon... (as an expatriate)

Thank you and we look forward to it!

Bob K