Back from Ecuador!

So I discovered a lot of things about Ecuador on my travels. Mostly where I do not want to live. I didn't like Quito - too cold and busy. Bahia is where I thought I wanted to live and that quickly changed. It's not my kind of place. Too busy and dirty. I found a great house in San Clemente. Ocean view and 20 second walk to the beach.

Lauree, would you mind elaborating on Santa Clemente please? My wife and I were seriously considering going to Bahia next Jan to explore this area for longer winter stays. Please describe your take, pros/cons of this find. Much appreciated.
Robert & Marsha
Canada

I really guess it's a matter of personal preference.  I currently live on a pretty quiet street with a good amount of property and privacy. Keep in mind also that I am only 47 years old and go to the gym 5 days a week so sitting around all day is not for me. If you wanted something that has major conveniences like a mall, etc then you might like Bahia.  I just hated the traffic and having to watch where you step so you can avoid dog poop. San Clemente is not a major hub or convenient.  However people without cars seem to manage just fine. It's a ghost town at night with the exception of a house party usually held by the locals. My friend lives in a wonderful condo complex there called Vista Azul. You have access to the pool at the resort across the street and the condo has security. Very nice place. He has a roof top palapa that you can sort of see the ocean from. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What are the rents at Vista Azul?

I have no idea. I am going to start my own on-line consultation business.  There are so many people interested in what areas are good and a lot of the people are seniors who don't want to have to do the leg work. I think it will do well.

LaureeJ wrote:

I am going to start my own on-line consultation business.  There are so many people interested in what areas are good and a lot of the people are seniors who don't want to have to do the leg work.

That is a sound basis for a consultancy in that business in that booming area.

Perhaps you could begin by sharing the story of finding and obtaining your San Clemente beachside 'fixer.'

Indications are that the coastal real estate market is broiling hot.

Lauree grabbed her place in San Clemente within a week of arrival in EC.

Today I got an email from Expat real estate entrepreneur Dom Buonamici saying a house in Crucita sold within one day.

What properties are the super hottest?

Dom says the Crucita house sold so fast because it hit the "sweet spot"...

Ocean view...near the beach...away from the noise of town center and boardwalk...two bedroom, two bath (not too big, not too small)...new or almost new construction...under 100K price...a terrace for entertaining...and appliances included.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Indications are that the coastal real estate market is broiling hot.

Lauree grabbed her place in San Clemente within a week of arrival in EC.

Today I got an email from Expat real estate entrepreneur Dom Buonamici saying a house in Crucita sold within one day.

What properties are the super hottest?

Dom says the Crucita house sold so fast because it hit the "sweet spot"...

Ocean view...near the beach...away from the noise of town center and boardwalk...two bedroom, two bath (not too big, not too small)...new or almost new construction...under 100K price...a terrace for entertaining...and appliances included.

cccmedia in Quito

I just got that email too, that's basically what I'm building. Ocean view, up the hill from the "city" and malecon but still walking distance to the beach,two bed two bath with a flat roof terrace. I figure if I stay in Lopez long enough for the infrastructure to grow a bit it might just be a decent investment.

I don't want to advertise San Clemente too much! It is a nice quiet spot and we want to keep it that way. However, I found it only because my realtor strongly suggested that I look at the house with an open mind! Open mind indeed. It's a total fixer upper that has been empty for some time. If you like bats this is the place for you. It is a 2 story 6 bedroom house with an awesome ocean view and 30 seconds to the beach. It is the second to last house on a dead end road with a giant cliff behind it that is a focal point of Punta Bikini. San Clemente is NOT for young couples with kids. I didn't see one child while I was there and that also sold me on this location.

San Clemente is already very popular with expats, especially during winter months. We discover it about two years ago. Went back this winter and there was lots of new expats there and also snowbirds.
We stayed at Vistazul, which is about $800 per month for long term, you have access to Palmazul Hotel if you rent for a fee. There is website for Passport Ecuador, wife/ husband team who take care of rentals and they are very helpful with everything, pickup at the airport, tours, doctors, etc.
It seems that part of Manabi province is gaining lots of recognition especially  Bahia, San Clemente, Crucita and Manta.
I am as well not very impressed with Bahia, it seems most condos are by the road, not really oceanfront as we would have like. It is nice, but not for us, San Clemente is really for those who like quiet place with great beach, except on some weekends and holidays. You can buy basic groceries, or go to Bahia or Portoviejo by bus, about 45 minutes or Manta by taxi $ 20 each way.
Lots of great little restaurants with local dishes, delicious and not expensive.
Great beach, little fishing village, great people, safe and quiet.
It is however too quiet for some, we almost bought a condo there, but decided Manta  is for us with all amenities, great beachfront properties, airport with daily flights to Quito and lots to do and get involved with locals and expats. But we are sure we will be going back to San Clemente often.