German language skills in Austria

Hi all,

I am from Pakistan and interested in coming to Vienna on job seeker visa. My German language skills are only basic. I have MBA degree and 10 years experience in Advertising, Education and Customer Service.
Will I get a good job in 6 months?

Thank you so much!

Learning German is a must and  unemployment is on the increase.

Hallo Samuel1976,
Please for your quality of life study & learn German! There are many excellent  programs online. You can watch TV, listen to Radio ORF and watch old movies. You can have fun with it. It does not have to be a crazy, intense formal program. Having a position is great, but living in a vacumn, not understanding the language and the nuances of the culture will have a negative impact on your family and professional life.
Best of luck!

PS
I lived in Graz in the 80's and learning German made all the difference. I still study daily and go to a formal school one night a week. Planning on going back.

Thanks Grazfan,
So is it possible to survive in Austria with only basic German language skills and get a decent job?

Are you living in Austria now?

Take care

Its possible to survive to with basic German, but to have great job, German is needed.

thanks again bro simcity

Hi
You used the qualifiers "Survive" "decent".  That is so subjective.
. Go to the Austrian immigration website and take the quiz if you are eligible for a resident status  or call the consulate if it isn't so clear.
  For me personally quality of life is enhanced by the ability to communicate and not to live in an area which is only expats
Study study study and be open to the culture
I want to retire there and visit as often as possible. I have built a circle of native Austrian  friends who only speak German with me   
Without those language skills it's socially lonely and no professional mobility

So in a word.  To your ?
You won't like my answer
   No

Where are you from Grazfan?

Im a British

hi Sim
I'm on the east coast of the US.

Thanks bro

I have to agree with the previous posts here. German knowledge is a must. My German level is B2, which is in the intermediate level. To find my job here all my applications and interviews were in German. Due to the nature of my Job my team all speaks English, and they gladly switched to English during some technical parts of the interview and currently we switch back and forth between German and English depending on how hard it is to understand the task at hand in German.
What I want to say is, you might be able to work in English, but German will be a plus to get you the Job.
Now as to life in general, I don't remember the last time I spoke English to someone outside work. Everyone expects you to know German, all documents, road signs, newspapers, deals in the supermarket will be in German, and unless you stay in a "foreigners'" social group, everyone will prefer and will be more comfortable speaking German to you.

Thanks g_el.  keep in touch. Can you help in finding a good hob or share some contacts? I'll appreciate.

Samuel

Please listen to the previous advice.  To get a good job you first of all need to be legal and have all paperwork in order.  Equally you need to learn the language and this is solely up to you.  No-one will give you contacts worth anything until you demonstrate the above, especially not on a public forum. 

Don't hand over any money for "contacts or recruitment services" or things like that either. 

Beware of work agencies who may not pay your insurance contributions in full, if at all, leaving it up to you to make up the shortfall from what is already a salary with hefty deductions.

BTW I'm a Kiwi - where everyone below a certain level of society is your "Bro'".  Drop the "Bro'" if you want appear professional or get a good job.

I wish you the best, but this will only happen with the hard work involved with learning the language (unless you work in AML, Finance or IT.)