Rude Behavior of staff at Romanian Embassy Islamabad

Hello friends,

My son who is a 3rd year student at IBA Karachi decided to AIESEC voluntary work in Clug Romania. As a part of formalities to apply for a visitors visa he went to Islamabad, upon his return he told me the way Romanian staff misbehaves with visa applicants. The staff is rude , abusive and at times shouted at visa applicants.

I fail to understand that we as Pakistanis are spending our hard earned money to do social and volunteer work in Romania, why do they treat as if we are beggars? The least we expect is a little bit of respect. I called embassy  and the lady was unhelpful and refused take the complain against their rude behavior.

Will some one advise me how to inform ministry of foreign affairs Romania about the racist attitude of the embassy staff.

I will not advise any Pakistani to travel to Romania. :dumbom:

It seems you are totally unaware of  international student exchange program. ( you would know this if you have ever studied at a decent University ).

Your tone sounds arrogant as if Romania is a super power and all the other nations are born to do slavery for Romania. :dumbom:

I am not Oxford graduate like you. Sorry!
But I edeavour you to make a claim on website of  www.mae.ro

Most of the embassy folks (especially when their embassy is in third world country) would behave like this. They think themselves as if they are descended from stars. I have had a very bitter experience in the RO embassy at Delhi, not just 1 time around thrice. In a nutshell, dealing with bureaucracy in Eastern Europe especially RO is a head ache. I heard corruption is rampant like Pak and India, not much difference.

So riazcdki, even if you go ahead complaining to MEA RO, your voice will be unheard as this attitude will be more in the higher levels. You have no other choice other than live with it.

riazcdki wrote:

The staff is rude , abusive and at times shouted at visa applicants.

Don't worry, Romanian govt offices are like this inside Romania, with it's own citizens, so don't feel singled out.   Consider it a preview of what awaits you in Romania. You can complain if you want, but as someone else commented, it won't do you any good.  Their point of view is likely that, nobody asked you "spend your hard earned money to do social and volunteer work in Romania".  Romania was doing just fine without being saved by foreigners from 3rd world countries.  Also account that many people from that region are looking for a way into the EU and it's privileges and think Romania is an easy way to get it.

Unfortunately it's true that sometimes employees from the embassies in Romania are using too much the power they have (or they think they have). But as mentioned above, it can be a general problem and it happens sometimes with police officers or security agents. The most important thing is to keep calm and to try to report to someone the case. I don't think is necessarily a problem with the nation, but it only depends on the misconceptions those employees have.

Hello Andree,

My son who is now in Cluj is enjoying every minute of his intern ship. He says common Romanians at the University he is attending are just like us, sincere, loving, caring and friendly. They believe in family units and some of the boys and girls invited my son to spend evening with their family members.

However the issue of Romanian staff insulting innocent Pakistanis remains un sorted. I tolerate racial discrimination and hatred while travelling to Europe but i will never tolerate Europeans to come to Pakistan and show similar unacceptable behaviour. In Pakistan we know how to sort out these people. :dumbom:

i dont think they insult you because they discriminate you. From my experience , they are understaffed, underpaid, agry all the time and on edge. and they lose their patience and their calm. happens to me all the time , i dont take it personal , nore should you

deareve wrote:

i dont think they insult you because they discriminate you. From my experience , they are understaffed, underpaid, agry all the time and on edge. and they lose their patience and their calm. happens to me all the time , i dont take it personal , nore should you

You make some valid observations, but it doesn't excuse their alleged behavior or attitude, especially since they are representatives of Romania.  A visa applicant, whether worthy of a visa or not, should be treated with a basic level of respect and civility.  If the employees are so unhappy, they should find another place of employment; not take out frustrations on those they are there to serve.  No one forces them to work there.  They should be politely reminded of this perhaps.

romaniac wrote:

You make some valid observations, but it doesn't excuse their alleged behavior or attitude, especially since they are representatives of Romania.  A visa applicant, whether worthy of a visa or not, should be treated with a basic level of respect and civility.  If the employees are so unhappy, they should find another place of employment; not take out frustrations on those they are there to serve.  No one forces them to work there.  They should be politely reminded of this perhaps.

+1 to that

Done a load of cr@ppy jobs in my life for low wages and for long hours yet always managed to be polite and helpful to customers/clients/colleagues (even the rude ones).