Economic Self Sufficiency

Hello all,

To start with, just moved to Malta last week. I want to apply for residecny in order to buy a car. I went to ID office and was told to fill all the forms get private health insurance, my bak statement and go ahead with my aplication under Economic Self Sufficient. I got an information from another office that Economic Self Sufficiency is only for pensioners and this is where I am confused.
Many thanks for any info.

Agnieszka

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Following the request of the initiator, some private information have been removed

you  wont have enough on job seekers to meet the economic self sufficiency route - it isn't just for pensioners its for anyone but unless you have 14k a year  or 92 euros a week you will need to apply as employed/self employed route

if your getting job seekers you need to contact the ect and they will register you  to look for work and then you will get an e-residence card once you have found work

Thank you for your reply. I already registered with employment office here . So I am searching for work but in the meantime I was wondering if I could get residency card ,

Thank you kindly

Wow ... No wonder it pays to be on benefits than not - well if you have an income and can proof it then by all means you can apply for economic self sufficiency

Thank you,

Different countries different rates. I think we have no right to say if it pays of or not without knowing each case on a personal level.

Regards

Agnieszka

Hi
I believe economic self sufficiency wouldn't stand to somebody claiming benefits unless you have a set amount in your bank account to prove u will not be a drain on the maltese system. Maybe somebody could advise what the figure is.

Out of interest, how did u mange to carry over any UK jsa to malta. I thought there was a 2 weekly sign on process ? Just curious..

Hi Warrman,

Here is where the confusion starts as noone knows for sure , not even people in the ID office :)

I hope to find a job soon but Ireally need a car, to get a car I need ID card and so on.....

Here is a link  if you want to have a look : http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo … dex_en.htm

Regards

Agnieszka

A

Yes Rob, that's Ireland for ya

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment

Complain to Irish state then or to EU as it is legal procedure to do such a transfer.

as long as you inform the home state of your intention to seek work elsewhere in the EU and register in your new EU state within 7 days of arrival  JSA is payable quite legally and its your right to do so
it is only payable for a limited time  - i think 13 weeks

Thank you for your reply Toon,

It is exactly as you said.

Regards

Agnieszka

I know it is  - i have advised many of this and all have succeeded in doing so...there is nothing wrong in it at all. Just one of the "benefits" of being in EUrope

am not sure it can be used as your source of income under SS route, as you do have to prove it  - and they may well know that its limited - but then again they may not know it.....-  so for me its worth a punt...

many go to malta with a lot less and succeed.. so go for it

i dont really see any difference between coming here with limited savings and coming here with JSA for three months..... and applying for your e-residency permit

do you have to have the e-res card to buy a car - ? passport should do - they cant force you to have the permit... its an administrative formality at best... of course some may disagree with that

many other things can now be done on the production of a passport = let us know if you are forced down that line and the reasons why?

its an interetsing one

Thank you Toon,

I told them in the ID office that my income is limited to period of time but they seemd to be more confused then me :) I may give it a try and see . Fingers crossed..... Apparently in Malta you need residency card to purchase a car and with interviews coming from all around island would be a great time saver to have 4 wheels .

Many thanks

Agnieszka

you could hire one for the interim  - but be careful...

hiring can be very cheap if you just hire for the days you need one.. speak to corner shops - many run them as a sideline..

toon apparently they have made changes and you can only register a car now with an e-id not with a passport so that the issue many are having
sorry i didnt mean to start a debate on job seekers  i know you can get it whislt looking abroad and i fully support that system

warrman wrote:

Hi
I believe economic self sufficiency wouldn't stand to somebody claiming benefits unless you have a set amount in your bank account to prove u will not be a drain on the maltese system. Maybe somebody could advise what the figure is.

Out of interest, how did u mange to carry over any UK jsa to malta. I thought there was a 2 weekly sign on process ? Just curious..

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroa … -allowance

hope this helps you:)

also the figures for self suffiencey are 14,000 euro a year or 92.32 a week (single rate) or 23,300 euros a year or 108.63 (couple  rate) - these rates only apply for eu/eea citizens

there ye go  - enlightened  = been away for a year now so things have changed....

why bother with car at this stage and bring  undue pressure on yourself when a cheapo hire car  will do the job  - or make a few local friends who might let you borrow theirs or ferry you around .... they are good like that
if you do buy one what will you do if you dont secure work... more pressure to sell up and go..

am not wishing that on you....  just being realistic  - good luck in your search

I will think about it now ..... It may be well worth it to do a reaserch on local hire companies . Thanks Rob and no bother, always good to discuss :)

Agnieszka

explore all options Agnes84  - dont limit yourself to just one -

Thank you for great tips Toon.

Much appreciated.

Agnieszka

Hi everybody,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks

Priscilla

Hi , so now the law, is that you need the residence ID for buying a car? that's really  annoying.

It seems that everytime things are more controlled and complicated here in malta. :sosad:

robpw2 wrote:
warrman wrote:

Hi

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroa … -allowance

hope this helps you:)

also the figures for self suffiencey are 14,000 euro a year or 92.32 a week (single rate) or 23,300 euros a year or 108.63 (couple  rate) - these rates only apply for eu/eea citizens

Btw rob don't forget the EC says set limits are illegal and all applicants should be treated on merit. As far as I know only Malta has laid down amounts. Even the UK doesn't specify amounts. But I stand to be corrected :)

are you sure about that Redders?

I think i read somewhere that someones partner got refused entry to UK as they couldnt prove an income of a specific amount

Toon wrote:

are you sure about that Redders?

I think i read somewhere that someones partner got refused entry to UK as they couldnt prove an income of a specific amount

Yes but that's marriage and TCNS not EU self sufficiency. There is nothing to stop member states refusing applications. What the EC said was arbitrary limits in statute were illegal. All cases should be looked at on merit. 

If you look at maltas figures I fail to see how one could live in Malta on 92 euros a week lolb

MaltaCommando wrote:

Hi , so now the law, is that you need the residence ID for buying a car? that's really  annoying.

It seems that everytime things are more controlled and complicated here in malta. :sosad:

you dont need the residence ID, you need to have applied for it

lets be honest - if you cant reach those levels of capital or income, you cant realistically claim to be economically self sufficient.

georgeingozo wrote:

lets be honest - if you cant reach those levels of capital or income, you cant realistically claim to be economically self sufficient.

Lol I am struggling on 1200 a month let alone 92 a week.

I applied for self sufficiency at the beginning of May with all documents  with slightly less than listed income  amount but had bought an apartment in Malta. I was told SS is given on an individual basis only at their discretion. They gave me an interim document with a number and marked it "not valid for re entry into Malta"  I must wait in the queue now until my turn comes around.  What I am not sure of is, if I leave using my Australian passport only, is this likely to present a problem for re entry?  Australians do not need a visa to enter as non EU if the time spent in Malta is only three months but I will have exceeded this 3 months while waiting.  Also does this paper document with a number mean that I will automatically be accepted on self sufficiency grounds? Anyone any experience or ideas on this question?

the self sufficiency amounts mentioned aply to EU citizens

EU citizens dont apply for residency, they apply for the eResidence card, as residence is a legal entitlement (as long as fulfill the criteria)

non-EU citizens have no right of residence, and all you have is a receipt of application, no guarantee of acceptance, so you need to chase it up ASAP

Hi guys,

I am in New Zealand atm, going to Malta next month. Excited :) and Anxious :)
As a TCN are you allowed to look for work while on Economic Self Sufficiency Residence Visa?
Would really appreciate answers and/or expiriences
Thank you,

Welcome to the Forum, why not start a new topic as the one you are on is from 2015.