Law jobs in Brazil?

Hi,

I'm a law student in the U.S., focusing on patent law.  I've lived and worked overseas before, in Asia.  I'd like to get back out of the U.S. when I graduate in another year, and was thinking about Brazil.  Some of the students at my school are from Sao Paulo, and they think it would be quite doable, especially since I'm patent-bar qualified.

Can anyone tell me what the restrictions are for foreign attorneys, in particular for patent attorneys?  The only information I've been able to find so far suggests that I can set up a practice or join a foreign attorney firm, but that Brazilian attorneys cannot affiliate with foreign attorneys.

Muito obrigado,

H.

yeah that's way to complicated for anyone not in law to know. but either way you would have to join a fim so that you can get a visa. self-employed startup cant get you a visa.

i can ask my husband to get some info from a professor he knows at his college, he is in a post graduation in international trade but one of his professors is spcialized in international law. i can try to find out from him. still, i guess what i would do if i were you is contact an attorney firm here and ask them the questions :)

boa sorte~

Hi there,
I am also a foreing attorney. I did my master in IP law in Boston and I looked for a job in the US for almost 5 months after graduation with no success. A fiend of mine also told me about the opportunities in SP and I signed up in Catho (itŽs a job search website very used for the brazilian employers). In one week I got 3 interviews, and 2 offers. I am currently working for Google Brazil in the internet law department. They requested my work visa and did all the paperwork for me as an English speaker here is very appreciated in the law field. I suggest you check the postings in Catho as itŽs free and see yourself what i am talking about.
Regarding the Brazilian bar association, after your graduation you can come here and file a petition to be admitted as a foreign attorney. Just have to bring all your diplomas, grades, employment references, etc. ItŽs not that complicated. However, you will only be allowed to advise on american law. I guess this is not necessarily bad considering that you can work with international patent applications and here in SP there are a lot international firms that might need your services.
Hope my comments help some :)

Hey Potoca,

I'm also an American attorney (California) here in Sao Paulo, and would be interested in finding a legal position here. I'm not an IP attorney, but transactional - real estate, contracts, etc. Do you have any idea if the firms/corporations here in Brazil are only looking for IP people?

Thanks for any advice...

Charlie

Welcome to newcomers to this forum and Expat.com :)

You could always try out our Brazil Classifieds -> Jobs section and insert an ad there!

Hope this helps

Cheers

YOu have to take the Brazilian equivalent of the bar exam. THankfully it covers the entire country, not by state like in the US.  Patent laws are also different down here so you'd have to focus somewhat on international patent laws and get to know the Brazilian system.  Ideally, you could try to get a job with a US company in SP or a Brazilian company that does a lot of work in the US. That way you could live in SP but work in US law.

You could indeed try to pass the Brazilian Bar Exam which is a requirement to practice law in Brazil. You basically have 2 options, do "cursinhos" for the OAB exam and you might just get to understand enough to pass the exam, or, like in my case, go back to law school.
Remember that Brazil is a Civil Law country and not a Common Law country like the US or UK so things are completely different. Personally (I have an LLM form the University of Amsterdam) I opted to go back to lawschool and am half way now,

Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm assuming since I don't really know much Portuguese, I probably can't take (or even pass) the Brazilian bar exam...any other alternatives?

Law rules in Brazil, unruling ...

Sucks... You can not practice here unless you
attend a 5 years degree program. And it can not be distance learning.

You can join a law firm, but I dont know what good its goinf to do for you...

Theres a guy here named John William Bradey Jr (believe it or not!), from Cajamar - SP, I heard he got his São PauloŽs bar license and is working for US firms estabilished in Brazil.

My daugther has dual citizenships and plans to go for law school here. She was born in Princeton, NJ; while I lived there. She still intends to complete her bar licensing in Florida ...

I am not sure I understood your question, or where u coming from, or you going to. But if u can be a little more specific, I might be able to give you some hint.

Take care!

Hey everyone,

So i'm bringing a old topic, because i'm about to finish my second year of master (in the UK). My fiancé is Brazilian and I was thinking of doing a PhD in Brazil but i'm starting to worry a bit about jobs (in case the PhD does not work). Do you think it is better if I firstly qualified in Belgium?
I went to look at catho.com.br but did not find any jobs for foreigners (i.e not having a clue about Brazilian law). can anyone help me? :)

thank you

At any rate whatever you do you're going to need to have your foreign degrees recognized in a process called revalidation, and to practice law here you are going to need to take further courses to bring you up to speed on Brazlian Civil and Penal Law, as well as the Estatuto de Criança e Adolescente, Brazil's Juvenile Law. Not going to be an easy task for you.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for the quick reply. I know about revalidation as my fiancé went through it. that's also why i think a PhD is easier as during that time you can make you diplomas recognised.
Your answer was mostly on practicing law, but what about paralegal jobs? or professorships?

cheers

I really can't say, it's kind of outside my area of experience unfortunately.

Cheers,
James