Contract job salary in KL

Hi all,

I've just been offered a managarial contract job for 6 months in Selangor on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur. I have no idea of what the salaries here might be. I didn't even apply for this job as I was not looking for one, but the company needs my services, hence the offer. Could anyone here give me some sort of guidance as to the salary range I could expect or a range? I don't want to go too low to miss out, but neither too high to scare the employer off. Accommodation will most likely be provided by the company at first, but I may have to relocate my family if the job turns permanent and so will need to get my own eventually. Thanks

Take a look at this to see if your type of work is mentioned.

http://www.academia.edu/9843873/Kelly_S … lary_guide

As you will retain your expenses in your current location you should probably add at least 30% to what you see mentioned.

Length of experience etc. needed to be more specific. Don't know where you come from either. If you may have to relocate then if you have children that need to be schooled you should have a salary that would cover RM3-5k each per month as well.

It would be better to ask to retain your current job and just be seconded on a Professional Visit Pass for 6 months. Cant bring family on that though so would need a different work permit if they were to join you. In addition, you could get a per diem or allowance for local costs outside housing. It would not be good to try and maintain a UK life on a salary here unless you are very senior.

That option would give you a chance to renegotiate if you want to stay.

The other issue is the exchange rate is hovering around RM6 = GBP1 and could get worse if you need to send money home.

One other concern is that it could be a job scam as you shouldn't get offers out of the blue - you will know if they start asking you to pay money to them.

Hi Gravitas, Thanks for the very informative reply. The company offering the job is not a scam. I know the people and the company well and have been marketing them for the last year. They like what I do and simply need some help :) So in that respect, I am fine.

As to salaries, I did find your link helpful as well as another site. There is a discrepancy of 500 ringgit a month, but the rates are between the 7k and 10k mark depending on experience. I should be able to request the higher package.

You mention school fees. This is worrying as the fees you mention seem pretty high. 3k to 5k per month would put a serious dent even in a 10k pay, so I better do my research on that.

By the way I don't have any commitments in other countries so I have no issues with currency fluctuations either.

Thanks a million for your help :)

Don't forget to add at least 30-50% to the salaries shown as you are an expat.

School fees - very important you know what you are letting yourself in for. Also accommodation for a family will be about RM3k per month but living in a rundown area you can probably make that RM2-2..5k.

Tax deductions are shown on other postings here on the forum.

Car hire is about RM1.5k per month, Supermarket bill for family RM1.5k per month. Utilities/TV/Phone RM500 per month.

With lots of experience and seniority you should consider around RM18k per month minimum