Looking for work but so far no luck

Hi Everyone,
I am Australian currently living in Sevilla Spain.  I am lpoking for work but so far no luck.  I am happy to consider any offers, recommendations, or advice.
Apart from my employment status, everything else is super..loving and enjoying this experience.
Cheers
Carmen

Hi Camen,
Thanks for introducing yourself. I'm also an Australia. I'm in Melbourne at the moment waiting for my work visa for an English school. I have a good friend in Sevilla who is currently unemployed and so I get the feeling that things are really quite bad with the unemployment situation in Andalusia.
Since you are already in Spain I wanted to ask, are you a dual Spanish/ Australia citizen? Or dual EU citizen? If not, do you have any experience with the work visa process which you can share with me?
From my conversation with my new employer in Spain (when I can actually start my job), is that English schools are extremely interested in having native English speakers. So if this is a possibility you would be interested in, I recommend you walk into some schools with your CV and have a chat (that's what I did). If you are an EU citizen, you won't have issues starting work with them. If you're not, you'll have to go down the same road as me an go back to Australia to apply for the work visa. Not fun waiting.
Best of luck!
Cheers
Al

Hi Al,
Thanks so much for your response.
Yes I do have dual citizenship, I was born in Spain but my family migrated to Australia when I was very small.  Most of my education, and all my career has been based in Australia.  This presents a problem because I do not have any working history in Spain, and because of the current economic situation and the high rate of unemployment a Spaniard that has worked and contributed to the tax system will be in a better position for placement into a job than someone like me.  This has been my problem, but my field is corporate accounts/administration/management.
My partner also an Australian was not able to apply for a working visa, even though he ticks all the boxes, as far as I know work visas are closed to foreigners until the situation for Spain improves, you can apply for student visa which enables you a maximum of 20hours work per week.
Maybe if you are able to get a written offer of employment from a Spanish firm this would enable you to get the work visa? Worth looking into.
Best of luck
Carmen

Hi Carmen,
Yes I already know about the student visa loop hole but it's rather costly because I have to pay for a course upfront and I have an offer from an employer. They are currently processing an application through the local government to request authorisation to let me work for them. Bit of a slow process.
The written offer from the employer only works if I obtain the work permission from the local government. But thanks for the suggestion. What is your partner doing if he is unable to work in Spain?
Must be tough finding work in your field when there are so many people to compete against. I wish you luck with it!
Cheers
Aletha

hi i cannot speak for the rest of andualucia but herein algerciras,thr employment  is practically  no exsistent.my spanish friend has three children two men  37 years old and 51 years old and a daughter 49 years old all unemployed for three or more years.with no future hopes  also have a gibraltarian lady frienmd who worked in a language school now de funked so good luck

Hello Carmen,

Welcome to expat-blog! ;)

Note that i created a new thread on the Sevilla forum from your post and a couple of feedback you had.

You will be more likely to share and ask for information on this thread.

As far as work is concerned, you may read the following article, you will find some useful links at the bottom of the page where you may actually look for job.

- Work in Sevilla

All the best,
Bhavna   :)