Planned Visit to Ambergris Caye and Corozal

Hi everyone,

We (Pat and Lil) are working on the logistics of a two week trip to Belize in the middle of October.  Need to see the country at the end of the rainy season.  Our plan is to spend a week in Corozal and will need a car to explore the area.  The present plan is to fly to Belize City,either fly or ferry to Ambergris Caye for a few days then water taxi or fly to Corozal.  Please provide any insight on fly v boat to Caye and then to Corozal.  A good place to rent a car in Corozal.  We plan to fly into Belize and fly back to the states from Cancun. Therefore we plan to leave Belize to Mexico through the northern.  I understand there is an exit fee of about 40 US per person.  Please provide what we should expect and any dos and don'ts regarding the border crossing into Mexico.

We also so need to know best way to get money on Belize I understand ATMs are one method want to minimize fees and info on banks would help.

We are getting very excited about this new adventure and look forward to meeting new people in Belize.

Thanks in advance for you knowledge and advice.

Pat and Lil :)

use the atms in both Belize and mexico and just bite the bullet on the fees.  in Belize the least expensive ATMS are Atlantic and Belize Banks.  Scotia is a rip off at $10

few places take credit cards.  Alex's car rental in Corozal will take your card and he will charge you about $100 a day for car and insurance.  You will NOT take this car across the border to Mexico.   If you want to try out Chetumal, use a taxi with a driver who speaks fluent English (for you) and fluent Spanish for the Mexican side.  I use Pedro Chable for this run.

If you go to Chetumal and then return to Belize with goods you will have to pay high tarriffs and can bring no fresh meat or dairy and vegetables/fruits.    The Sams and Home Depot and Walmart are not the same as in the USA.  check it out so you are not disappointed later.

it is so much easier to fly to San Pedro directly  . it's a $ 30 cab ride to BZ. city to get the water taxi . that said , I love the ocean and the taxi ride if the wind has not made ocean to rough , it can be an adventure . it can take  a couple of hours to cross over to Corozal on the taxi from San Pedro .  The view of the cayes from the plane is also interesting . weather permitting ,try both . be advised the rainy season often lingers well past Oct . also , there is so much more to BZ. than just Corozal & San Pedro , don't be afraid to explore , the people are great . The beaches in Placencia are some of the best  in BZ. & the rain forest, ruins & caves, down in the cayo district can  make for a civilized  adventure .If you are adventurous there is a local bus that crosses to Chetumal  where you can get the ADO bus to Cancun. They are first rate air conditioned busses , be sure to take the express bus .    P.S. if you drive get gas when you can , it's just not on every street corner like the U.S.A.  ;     be flexible , be friendly even when you're frustrated , relax & have fun .