New members of the Chile forum, introduce yourself here

Hello, all.

I am a teacher in the U.S. (Philadelphia: Math and Test-Prep) who is married and has a three-year old and another on the way soon.

While there are many things that we love about Philadelphia, the teaching situation here is pretty miserable. Furthermore, after over 8 years living and teaching here, I'm burnt out on the city and need a change. Additionally, I've long loved South American culture and Chile specifically, and would love to live there for a while with my family, if at all possible.

With my wife and me both having lots of experience teaching test-prep and English grammar, I feel that we should be able to craft a life most anywhere, including in Chile. If you have any related experience, ideas, and/or leads along this line, please don't hesitate to share them. I'd be deeply indebted!

I guess that's enough details about me/us. Please reach out if you have any thoughts or ideas to share.

Thanks~
Andrew J. Isom

Hi Andrew,

Oportunities: Almost people that teach english here, do clases in language institute as Tronwell, Wall Street, Norteamericano.cl, britanico and Koe. OR in schools (you have to validate ur career ) here is some group of british schools www.absch.cl. OR do some classes to some people that they contact.

I´m afraid that teachers situation is the same that in many countries, they don´t have good salaries and have a lot of strees, but well you should try!

Hello, my name's Mike and I currently live in Ontario, Canada. I am interested in moving to Chile because I need something new, but also very different. I went to school for audio recording, but as you can imagine jobs in that field are few and far between, so I currently work delivering furniture. I joined this because I would like to learn from others' experiences what I need to do to move to Chile. Any information about finding a job, place to live, etc, as well as any helpful tips about life in Chile on general.

Thank you all.

Hi there,
My name is Catherine.
I am from the US, live in NYC now.  I am ready to get out of here.  I love South American people and culture.  I will visit Vina del Mar next month to explore and if I like it I will move there in July.
Any and all experiences and guidance are appreciated.
I will be moving with a 17 year old and a 12 year old, both who will be educated online from the states.
Thanks!

Thank you for your hospitality and welcome. I am curious about the country for several reasons, mostly for the passion of food and wine, for I feel Chile will be the most desired country for fine wines as climate changes persist. Secondly, I seek information as to political and social stability and health of Chile which translates, in my mind, to happy, fulfilled and productive citizens. Thirdly, I seek a country where national budgets are not overly invested in inefficient segments of an economy with insignificant return on that investment. l realize I seek a lot, however, I also feel one needs to explore fully before making a change in life as becoming an ex-pat. Thanks.

Hi All,

My name is chandan from India and I am currently looking to move to santiago for a job (as a software engineer). I have been looking on internet to get estimated cost of living per month in santiago (region metropolitana) but have found mixed reviews. Some blogs mention all expenses (rent + food + electricity + transportation) to be with in $1000 USD and others mention more than $2000 USD. I am a single guy and would prefer to live alone in one bedroom apartment can anyone pls help me get better and realistic idea of cost of living in santiago.

Thanks,
chandan

Try www.numbeo.com

nice, I am Chilean and I've been for 1 year and 3 months living in NZ.... Amazing place... Cheers!!

Not really sure what to say but here it goes. I live in for the time being in Washington state but plan on moving to Coquimbo, Chile in about 2 years to marry my fiancé, who is from Coquimbo. I have never lived outside of the United States but have been to Tijuana a few times with my ex. I am excited to make this major move in my life and with it, I will be leaving behind my daughter and son and 2 grandsons. But I believe that it is time for me to start living my life, since I have a empty nest at home. This is my life story with a new beginning to come soon. Thank you for letting me join your site.

You sound very organised;-) Why are you tired of Asia if i may ask?

Yes its tricky isn't it. From what I can see its really $2000 USD per month because even a room in Santiago will cost $200 per week. ESL type sites lie about the true cost of living I find.

hi Iam Selamun and i have been living in Chile for over 5 years. Iam from South Africa but of Ethiopian ancestry. iam very passionate about my Ethiopian roots and would love to meet any Ethiopians, Eritreans living in Chile , Argentina and Brazil. Thanks

Hi all. My name is King from Yiwu China. Well my hometown is a tiny county level city but well known domestically and internationally. It's a trading hub and commodities center of China. It's one of the richest cities in China. Meaning living standard and housing is also a problem.

I'm thinking about relocating. Iquique is the ideal one for me. Because of the free trade zone. And Chile signed free trad agreement with China.

Frankly. Being a Chinese. I'm telling you. China has full chances. But also facing series of huge problems. Freedom of speech. Food safety. Pollution. Privacy. Etc. I basically love China it's my roots and hate the government. So I'm seeking changes in life. Me and wife plan to move to Chile.

After deep search. Googled. Still no yet sure the procedure. I've done searching and mailing Chilean embassy and related persons. So far. I've learned for Chinese mainlanders to obtain a visa is nearly impossible. The unspoken black market sells a Chilean company invitation letter for 3k dollars. After reach the gound a middle man will take the client to immigration office in Chile to make the short stay ID. Next. Client will be asked to pay some3k to 5k dollar to get himself a lawyer. Then having a company and business get started. After 3 or 4? Months later. Client may extend his short stay to PR. Then keeping paying income tax. And meanwhile invest money to real estate or stocks. Wait for 3-5? Years. Eventually become a citizen.

China banned Google. Facebook and YouTube. I'm not sure if my infos are correct. Because that's what Im going to do. Sell my houses pay the middle man in order to start new life in Chile.

Anyone can correct my info will be appreciated. Or proving me any Chile based law firms contact information would be great.

Hope to see your guys in Chile soon.
Love and peace 2015

Olá! Boa tarde. Meu nome é WAGNER, sou Oficial da Policia Militar do Estado de São Paul, atualmente aposentado, e Advogado, brasileiro, 49 anos, casado com Claudia. Moramos na capital São Paulo, porém estamos pensando em conhecer o chile, bem como Uruguai e outros paises, para possivel fixação de futura residência.Gostariamos de saber detalhes de cidades recomendadas, economia local, custo de vida, qualidade de vida, etc.etc.

wagnerjds wrote:

Olá! Boa tarde. Meu nome é WAGNER, sou Oficial da Policia Militar do Estado de São Paul, atualmente aposentado, e Advogado, brasileiro, 49 anos, casado com Claudia. Moramos na capital São Paulo, porém estamos pensando em conhecer o chile, bem como Uruguai e outros paises, para possivel fixação de futura residência.Gostariamos de saber detalhes de cidades recomendadas, economia local, custo de vida, qualidade de vida, etc.etc.

Welcome to EB.... :) 

As this is an English speaking forum, and for the other English speaking members, could you please post in ENGLISH only. That way others can understand your post and perhaps even offer information or advice.
Thank you.

thank you.

Hello! Good afternoon. My name is Wagner, am Official Military Police of São Paulo, now retired, and Lawyer, Brazilian, 49, married to Claudia. We live nd capital of São Paulo, however We are considering know the chile, As Well As Uruguay and other countries for possible attachment of future residence. We would like to know details Cities recommended, local economy, cost of living, quality of life, etc.etc.

Olá! Boa tarde. Meu nome é Wagner, sou oficial da polícia militar de São Paulo, agora aposentado, e advogado, brasileiro, 49 anos, casado com Claudia. Vivemos na capital de São Paulo, no entanto Estamos considerando conhecer o Chile e o Uruguai e outros países para uma possível fixação de residência futura. Gostaríamos de saber detalhes Cidades recomendados, economia local, custo de vida, qualidade de vida, etc.etc.

wagnerjds wrote:

Olá! Boa tarde. Meu nome é Wagner, sou oficial da polícia militar de São Paulo, agora aposentado, e advogado, brasileiro, 49 anos, casado com Claudia. Vivemos na capital de São Paulo, no entanto Estamos considerando conhecer o Chile e o Uruguai e outros países para uma possível fixação de residência futura. Gostaríamos de saber detalhes Cidades recomendados, economia local, custo de vida, qualidade de vida, etc.etc.

Again, please post in ENGLISH only as this is an English speaking forum.
If you persist then admin are likely to ban you from the forum.

Thank you.

Hello wagnerjds,

Just as Stumpy suggested, this is the English speaking forum of Chile, and it is better that you post in English only so that everyone else can understand you.

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hey FreedomGirl.
We are in the process of moving our family down to Chile from the US. My wife and 3 boys are already down there. We bought 8 acres on a nice river near Los Angeles, Chile. The original owner still owns 32 acres if you want to buy some next to us. We plan to build as soon as I get down there. Juan has a big 6000 sq ft house on the property. He could rent a room or 2 to you to help get you down there and get you started. That is what we are doing. We are going to build a nice freedom loving community around us.

Eric

Hello,

I'm a Chilean who has lived most of her life outside Chile, mainly in Canada, the US and Switzerland. I recently arrived in Santiago to do and internship. I don't know many people here and would love to make new friends. Hope to be able to meet some of you.

Cheers,
Yisol

Hi everyone, I was born in Argentina but lived most of my life abroad ( Brazil, India and recently Switzerland) just arrived in Santiago ( Chile ) and I would love to make friends. Specially people who speak german cause I took a 6 months intensive course in Zurich and would like to keep practicing my german. Of course if you don't speak german but are a fun person... Well, let's have fun!!

Hi,

I am from Portland, Oregon, USA and I arrived in Santiago on March 4. I am teaching private lessons in English and hoping to volunteer here as well. I live in Providencia and I hope to find my own apartment in March.

heeey!
Well I just moved to Chile from England and will be living in Chile for a few months as I am studying here. I know no one Chile so looking for friends!!!

Hello, im Ophélie, im french, and i will be in chile, Santiago from the 22nd of april until the end of this year, doing an internship with the UNHCR. I would love to meet some of you as i know nobody there. Hope to see you soon !

Greetings everyone. Well-traveled, newly-minted English teacher interested in teaching in Valpo or Viña. I've been checking AirBnB for lodging & a few schools as well. I'm here to soak up any other relevant information. I'm also interested in any schools that will hire in advance.

I'm also considering Colombia. My biggest concern is making ends meet.

Hope everyone is having a stellar week.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason :This topic has been created for the presentation of new members only. For new questions please create a new thread.

Hi,

Myself Sarabjit Singh from North India.  I am planning to move to Chile very shortly, depends how fast I be prepare and get support.  About me....I am 38 years old and I have two professions and you will wonder that they both are very different from each other.  One, I am an Export / Import Professional and now working as Manager Exports in an Export House.  Second I am an Indian Cook and worked in past with various restaurants.  Now I am part time working as cook.

Apart from some Indian Languages like Hindi, Punjabi I also know some foreign languages like, English, Italian & lil bit French.  So I am confident that I will learn Spanish very soon when I will be living in Chile.

Currently I an looking for any job or any partner with who I can start any business in Chile.  In job in Hospitality or in Export / Import Trading.  In Business any small restaurant or any small business of trading. 

I have heard that Santiago is the Second Switzerland on the earth, so I am eager to see this beautiful country and peoples of Chile.

I am found of making friends.....So please add me in your friend list irrespective of gender....See you soon in Chile friends.....

Have you made friends in my country? Do you life it so far?

Terrinims wrote:

heeey!
Well I just moved to Chile from England and will be living in Chile for a few months as I am studying here. I know no one Chile so looking for friends!!!

I hope you like your stay, If you need an advice while you stay in my homecountry let me know :)

Dear asalinas, No I yet have no friends in Chile.  But I would love to make friends before entering into Chile.

Hi, we are Steve and Landra. We have researched the perfect place to relocate and I believe it to be chile. We've found properties in the San Clemente area that look perfect. We will be visiting in June for two weeks to look at properties to purchase. We are hoping to be moved before the end of August of this year. I've lived in Maracaibo years ago with my parents and have always known I would spend my best years in South America . And Chile is it. If anyone would please chat or email or talk on phone I would be so appreciative. To be an expat and spend evenings with other expats and enjoy life would just be heaven .  Thank you so much for taking the time to read our note. We are looking forward to talking and hopefully meeting other expats in the future.      Steve and Landra gentles.

Hello all, myself (Steve ) and my wife Landra are very excited about our move to Chile. I spent my younger years in Maracaibo with my parents. (Oilfield) I have always known I'd end up in South America sometime. Our dream is to purchase between 20 and 100 acres in Chile. We want to live in the country and enjoy the ranch lifestyle . Horses ,cattle and such. If anyone would enjoy telling about your life and experiences, we would be very interested to hear. We love evenings of small get togethers and cook outs and enjoying Everyone. Soon we will be in Chile and are looking forward to meeting like minded couples very soon. Thank you for taking the time to read my poorly written expectations of our life ahead of us . Steve and Landra Gentles.

Hi all,
I live in Kolkata, India at present and working as a civil engineering technician for the Public Works Department. I intend to, and hopefully I can, move to Chile. I am very interested in landscape photography and in my opinion, some of the best landscapes in the world can be found in Chile. As far as I know, it is a beautiful country with nice people and I hopefully can learn enough Spanish to communicate with them in their own language. I am not sure how I can get to Chile but perhaps I will just get a tourist visa, visit Chile and stay back there.

Hola a todos

Llevo mucho tiempo con la idea de irme para Chile pero como todo que si es muy caro que si son muchas trabas que si va haber trabajo me encanta la idea de irme a un país nuevo y de ahí partir otra ves por eso pensé en formar un grupo rentar una casa y vivir juntos y aligerar la carga y el q vaya mejorando pues q tome su camino sin el miedo de estar solo miren Uds si les parece y empezamos soy una persona súper útil conmigo nada falla y soy de lo mas fresco espero encontrar aventureros que quieran intentarlo y pues ahí nos vemos cachai. 😂😂👍👍

Jona Hex wrote:

Hola a todos

Llevo mucho tiempo con la idea de irme para Chile pero como todo que si es muy caro que si son muchas trabas que si va haber trabajo me encanta la idea de irme a un país nuevo y de ahí partir otra ves por eso pensé en formar un grupo rentar una casa y vivir juntos y aligerar la carga y el q vaya mejorando pues q tome su camino sin el miedo de estar solo miren Uds si les parece y empezamos soy una persona súper útil conmigo nada falla y soy de lo mas fresco espero encontrar aventureros que quieran intentarlo y pues ahí nos vemos cachai. 😂😂👍👍

Please write Only in English on this version of the forum.

Thank you

Kenjee

Hi all
i am basant from nepal   i m 23yrs old.  jst a couple of day before i applied in chile for further study in mciworld organisation.

Buienas tardes.. mi nombre es Yurlimar Bastardo, mi novio  John  Ramirez, yo soy licenciada en Contaduria Publica de una universidad Publica y el aun estudia pero tiene experiencia en el area de ventas y distribucion ambos Venezolanos de la bella Isla de Margarita, estamos  pensando la psoiblidad de emigrar a chile por las razones que en mi pais no me han dado la oprtunidad de un empleo digno por no poseer expetiencia en el area, otra es la fuerte situacion economica que sueldo no alcanza y por ultimo la inseguridad que dia a dia es mayor.. quisiera saber cual es el proceso para legalizar los documentos.. yl procedimiento del mismo gracias.. y sobre todo si saben de algun empleo

Yurlimar Bastardo wrote:

Buienas tardes.. mi nombre es Yurlimar Bastardo, mi novio  John  Ramirez, yo soy licenciada en Contaduria Publica de una universidad Publica y el aun estudia pero tiene experiencia en el area de ventas y distribucion ambos Venezolanos de la bella Isla de Margarita, estamos  pensando la psoiblidad de emigrar a chile por las razones que en mi pais no me han dado la oprtunidad de un empleo digno por no poseer expetiencia en el area, otra es la fuerte situacion economica que sueldo no alcanza y por ultimo la inseguridad que dia a dia es mayor.. quisiera saber cual es el proceso para legalizar los documentos.. yl procedimiento del mismo gracias.. y sobre todo si saben de algun empleo

English please  :dumbom:

Hello all, i'm Katrina from philippine 29 years old, but currently living in paris , i'm moving to chile santiago on end of august or beginning september with my husband (french nationality but his mom is from paraguay) and 3 children (10, 2.6 years old & 4 months old baby). As hubby's new project is there and contract is 4-5 years.   I would love to meet new people make friends once we move there.
Wanted to ask also, which good place to get an appartment or house to rent and if somebody knows how much normally it cost.
And also shall we choose to stay inside the city or its better outside. Your advise is much appreciated.
I heard people are nice there. I'm excited to move 😊

have a nice day to all.

Closed