Some Questions- need practical infos for a new expat in Puerto Rico.

I know, very non-descriptive subject line...but my family and I are now 3 weeks away from moving to Puerto Rico.  We will be staying in a vacation rental in Dorado until we either close on a house or find a good rental.  We are pretty set on looking in Dorado, but we may consider Caguas.  Anyway, just a couple questions for those who would like to respond:

1) How is the consistency and accuracy of the mail delivery system (USPS)?  And do they deliver directly to your home like on the mainland?

2) Is it normal for half or more of the listings on real estate agents' websites and ClasificadosOnline to be already sold or rented out?  It seems the agents do not update their listings once they get sold or rented.  Very frustrating.

3) We have four children (5 years old and younger), and my wife is really interested in meeting other mothers in the Dorado area.  Does anyone know of any groups or anything that could help us integrate?  She found something called MOPS (not sure what that stands for), but she can't really get in touch with anyone in that group.

4) For those who know or live in or around Dorado, is the water rationing that is going on right now affect Dorado?

Okay, any insight would be appreciated!

Regards,

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

My family just moved to PR about a month ago. We moved to the west side of the island. So far, mail seems to be running fine. We rented a PO box at the local post office.  We only check it 3 times a week when we go into town for something.
The first week here, we met with 3 real estate agents to view properties in the area. I just searched online for realtors and then called them. Sometimes I had to call 2 or 3 times until I got someone on the phone. I too found that the websites weren't updated. We found several perfect properties but found out that they had been rented/sold quite some time ago. If you can find an agent who really knows the area and has some extra time to show you around, that's your best bet. The place we ended up renting wasn't even listed. It was a negotiation between the realtor and owner.
Have your wife check on Facebook for mom groups in the Dorado area. I've had good luck with that. I have 2 play dates lined up next week for our toddler and I'm super excited about that!
Good luck to you! Let me know if you have any questions. Since we just went through the move everything is still fresh in my mind.  We have definitely learned a lot from this process.

Hey Tyler! I live in Dorado...we used Remax Dorado when we bought our home. I found the listing on classificadosonline.com and then contacted the Realtor. They all speak English at Remax. Almost everyone private and Realtors list on classificadosonline.com...I guess if a place rents or sells people ususally just let the add expire...just have to keep trying. Also if a property is optioned to sell they have to leave the listing up until closing. Mail service is fine sometimes a little slower...you can deliver to your home but I prefer to have a PO Box since its more secure. I am a Mom and I can't find any of the Mom groups that been mentioned in Dorado...I have heard of them but haven't found one. No the water rationing should probably never effect Dorado since we get water from La Plata river right here in Dorado...unless the river dries up which is very unlikely. Dorado is a great place to live...I would definitely choose it over Caguas...for many many reasons. If you have more questions you can PM me.

Hi Tyler:
I can chime in on your first question - like others have said mail is pretty good here.  Things sometimes run a little slow, but no major issues.

If you are trying to get things shipped here, some companies classify PR as international and will try and charge an arm-and-a-leg for shipping.  If you encounter this, you can call them directly and let them know that PR is part of the USPS system and mailing via USPS is just like going from state-to-state.  I've informed five or six companies - they had no idea that PR was in the USPS system.

Hope this helps and best of luck!!

hct408 wrote:

1) How is the consistency and accuracy of the mail delivery system (USPS)?  And do they deliver directly to your home like on the mainland?

If you are in a city or town you can get mail delivered to your home. If you're out in the boonies you're going to need a box on the next rural route delivery spot or get a P.O. Box.

hct408 wrote:

2) Is it normal for half or more of the listings on real estate agents' websites and ClasificadosOnline to be already sold or rented out?  It seems the agents do not update their listings once they get sold or rented.  Very frustrating.

The best answer would be: "This is Puerto Rico"

hct408 wrote:

4) For those who know or live in or around Dorado, is the water rationing that is going on right now affect Dorado?

It's going to affect all of Puerto Rico is we don't get a lot of rain pretty soon.

there is a women's group in Dorado but it is by invitation only... once you get here, ask the english speaking community to hook you up.... join a yoga class,  go to eat at LA TERRAZA,  ask around , go to the library, and there is also a Montessori school or  TASIS which is perhaps the best school on the island.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

there is a women's group in Dorado but it is by invitation only... once you get here, ask the english speaking community to hook you up.... join a yoga class,  go to eat at LA TERRAZA,  ask around , go to the library, and there is also a Montessori school or  TASIS which is perhaps the best school on the island.

This "Dorado Dames" group you always mention must be inside Dorado Beach or Sabanera or something...sounds exclusive?

Also we can't forget Dorado Academy is a great school and one of the top schools in the island.

Yes...the library here in Dorado is great...they have Story Hour on Mondays in English.

Thank you everyone for your replies...they are very helpful.  Also, I had one more question.  How is the garbage collection in general and in particular in Dorado?  Is it like on the mainland where they usually come once per week and you just put your garbage outside on the curb? 

Okay, thanks again!

Regards,

Tyler

Garbage collection is one of the things that actually work here on the island. You put it out and they come and pick it up.
Of course since this is Puerto Rico they don't always come on the same day but they always show up again within 10 days or so.
In some places there are special containers for trash and there's also recycling collection. Out in the boonies (where I live) people put one or more plastic drums on the street to put the trash in.
For picking up bigger items you call Obras Publicas of your municipality, tell what you have to be removed and they send a truck.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

there is a women's group in Dorado but it is by invitation only... .

Sounds like a click group. Probably only people allowed are those with a particular way of dressing or only those in a particular social status.

Did you look at meetup.com?  If I remember correctly, there might be a group for parents.

Wow, thanks.  I have never heard of that site before.  It looks like there are a lot of groups to choose from.  Thanks!

Dorado has curbside pickup for garbage and recycling. Its one of the only cities that collects recycling in front of the house...most other cities have recycling drop off centers.  The garbage service is good in Dorado they stay on schedule.

Again, thanks!  All responses have been helpful for us so far.  I have read past posts about the internet service in Puerto Rico, and I understand some of the challenges that come with that (waiting for service personnel, spotty service, etc.) and we accept that.  But the post I was reading was from about a year ago, and I was just wondering if the service levels (both in terms of customer service and regular dependable internet) have gotten better?  It seems like Liberty has a big chunk of the market, and they advertise up to 120 mbps download speeds, is this reality or is service still spotty? 

Also, I am currently in Detroit, Michigan and the water/sewer bills are outrageous here ($100 - $120 per month), and it seems from earlier posts the bills are anywhere from $25 to $50 per month.  Is this what we can expect in the Dorado area? 

Okay, as always, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tyler

Thanks!  Is garbage collection a monthly stand alone fee or is it included in the property taxes or whatever tax that would cover it? 

Thanks,

Tyler

hct408 wrote:

Again, thanks!  All responses have been helpful for us so far.  I have read past posts about the internet service in Puerto Rico, and I understand some of the challenges that come with that (waiting for service personnel, spotty service, etc.) and we accept that.  But the post I was reading was from about a year ago, and I was just wondering if the service levels (both in terms of customer service and regular dependable internet) have gotten better?  It seems like Liberty has a big chunk of the market, and they advertise up to 120 mbps download speeds, is this reality or is service still spotty? 

Tyler

Hi Tyler:
Liberty is the only provider that is authorized in our housing development.  You can read some of my past posts about my experiences with them.  The big frustration is with customer service.  In my experiences it's about an hour wait to actually talk to someone after numerous hang-ups and disconnects.  I usually have one of my Spanish-speaking friends call for me.  It's a bit difficult with my elementary Spanish.

Our service is sporadic, but has gotten much better after I replaced the coax cable and splitter that they provided.  I'm nearly convinced that we received older hardware when we got our service connected.  As far as speed, we pay for the 40/mbps but lucky if we get 20.

Hope this helps!!!

hct408 wrote:

Thanks!  Is garbage collection a monthly stand alone fee or is it included in the property taxes or whatever tax that would cover it?

I think it's included in some tax. We don't pay separately for it. :D

hct408 wrote:

It seems like Liberty has a big chunk of the market, and they advertise up to 120 mbps download speeds, is this reality or is service still spotty?

It depends highly on where you are. If many people using the same hub ar downloading a lot of stuff you will get less bandwidth. If you're lucky you may get the maximum speed.
It's more a maximum than a guaranteed speed. Liberty has a cut-off doohickey in place that makes sure you don't get more than the max. bandwith you pay for.
I have (commercial) customer that pays for 80 Mbps down and I tested the speed a couple of times. Sometimes I get 50, 60 but many times it is really 80 Mbps.

Another question...is it fine to drink water from the tap? Do you need some sort of a filter or do most people just buy bottled water?

Thanks!

I've always drank the tap water but hubby likes to by bottled water by the gallon.

hct408 wrote:

Another question...is it fine to drink water from the tap? Do you need some sort of a filter or do most people just buy bottled water?

The tap water is drinkable but it contains too much chlorine to taste good for many people. Some people filter it, others buy bottled water. We have a water cooler and most of the times filter tap water to fill the 5 gallon bottles. When there's no "agua de la calle" (tap water, literally water from the street) we buy a new 5 gallon bottle or two..

I don't taste chlorine, but there's a hell of a lot of calcium in the water; we have to clean the coffee pot once a month.

Wow, big differences obviously. Here on the other side of the island we hardly have Calcium in the water.

Tap water is fine where I am in Humacao and it is good in Arroyo.

I think it's lime in the water and not calcium. We had a problem with it in Moca. It collected in places like shower heads. Never drank the water there except when I boiled it to make a large container of iced tea.

Gregg, calcium is the part of lime that is responsible for the sediments so we're talking about the same thing. :)

Smart-ass.   :)

It does have a lot of calcium. I do use a filter though ( even did back home in the states) I think it affects my laundry bc my towels get so stiff! On the positive note theres no flouride added to the water in Puerto Rico.. for those folk and "studies"  that associate flouride  to terrible things
http://fluoridealert.org/articles/50-reasons/

Thanks all for your responses.  I don't know too much about calcium, fluoride and all that, but I know my wife will certainly appreciate the fact that there is no fluoride. 

Regards,

Tyler

"MOPS" is Mothers of PreSchoolers and is a Christian organization, typically meetings held in a church.  The MOPS groups I have been to have always offered childcare during the meetings and usually everyone brings some food for breakfast or coffee break, etc.

We are new to Puerto Rico, but thus far water, mail, internet and trash have all been easy and seamless...Humacao/Palmas del mar.

Also...realty?  Frustrating as all get out.