Getting married in Sri Lanka

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Sri Lanka or who are about to get married in Sri Lanka to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Sri Lanka? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Sri Lanka)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi Armand,

If you are getting married to a Sri Lankan and if you are a foreigner you need to be in Sri Lanka at least 6 Days prior to the wedding day. This is a mandatory requirement.

Hope this would help.

Hi Everybody,

I just got married on 25th of February this year with a beautiful Sri Lankan woman. The procedures arent complicated:

1. The spouse (local) should register at so called "Kacery", 2 weeks prior to the marriage day. The ID card (NIC - National Identity Card) or the passport photocopy is required.
2. The foreigner must be in Sri Lanka for at least 7 days prior to marriage day. The registration at Kacery must be done at least 3 days prior to marriage day.
3. If the foreigner is divorced then the court final resolution (about the divorce) and English legally translation (done in the residence country), are required.
4. Two witnesses are needed.
5. During the registration the date, place and time are agreed and the officer will come there to do the ceremony. One Marriage Certificate will be issued to the couple. If you need more than one you can ask at the Kacery and they will send them to you by post within a week.

Hope this will help.

Hi Dhashanthie!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Hi All,

I want to get married in sri lanka. Me and me fiance are foreigners . We want to get married on tourist visa  or any easy availabe visa.

Can any one plz help me with the procedures.

Thank you

aslaminho wrote:

Hi All,

I want to get married in sri lanka. Me and me fiance are foreigners . We want to get married on tourist visa  or any easy availabe visa.

Can any one plz help me with the procedures.

Thank you

Please read this
http://www.srilankahighcommission.co.uk … ;Itemid=91

Important You have to avoid the part that says to get certifications from UK. Instead you have to get the certificates sealed by your foreign Ministry.
All the best
Mal