Question for Rio Grande home owners/renters

I've come to the conclusion, based on past experience, that transportation in PR, other than that provided by AMA is zero to none.  This rules out places like Rincon on the leeward side and Fajardo on the windward side.

However, I wonder if Rio Grande might be a tradeoff, so it would be helpful if those of you living there could provide some input on these assumptions:

1. Population at some 54,000 is manageable with some amenities.  I see a Ralphs and I believe there's an Amigo supermarket.
2. End of the AMA line 45, so at least some transportation available to more docs in SJ, RP than otherwise available in a place like Aguadilla.
3. Crime sprees don't end in Carolina, but may be less violent in Rio Grande/Fajardo.
4. Mountain brings more rain to Rio Grande than SJ or leeward PR.
5. Smattering of affordable gated rentals (I wouldn't begin to consider buying in PR with the current economic downturn and crime levels).
6. Jet noise not so noticeable by the time one arrives at Rio Grande from Isla Verde.
7. Riding a bike, motorized or not,  on (is it Hwy 3 or 6) would be suicidal.

Lastly, I am well aware that PR living is generally hard scrabble, but if any one of you Rio Grande residents can find some positive things to say, it might make it easier to compromise.

Thanks

DM

Hi, Seoulguy. Rio Grande is where my in-laws are from. It is a good choice depending on where in RG you settle. My comments are interspersed with your own below:

seoulguy wrote:

I've come to the conclusion, based on past experience, that transportation in PR, other than that provided by AMA is zero to none.  This rules out places like Rincon on the leeward side and Fajardo on the windward side.

However, I wonder if Rio Grande might be a tradeoff, so it would be helpful if those of you living there could provide some input on these assumptions:

1. Population at some 54,000 is manageable with some amenities.  I see a Ralphs and I believe there's an Amigo supermarket.

You're correct: There's plenty of amenities in RG.

2. End of the AMA line 45, so at least some transportation available to more docs in SJ, RP than otherwise available in a place like Aguadilla.

True, but it will take you all day to make one appointment and only God knows what time the bus will actually show up.

3. Crime sprees don't end in Carolina, but may be less violent in Rio Grande/Fajardo.

True, less than Carolina.

4. Mountain brings more rain to Rio Grande than SJ or leeward PR.

Yes, this is one of the things I like most about RG: El Yunque and the higher-elevation neighbourhoods. The flora is lush and refreshing.
5. Smattering of affordable gated rentals (I wouldn't begin to consider buying in PR with the current economic downturn and crime levels).

Wise not to buy.

6. Jet noise not so noticeable by the time one arrives at Rio Grande from Isla Verde.

I don't recall hearing any jet noise.

7. Riding a bike, motorized or not,  on (is it Hwy 3 or 6) would be suicidal.

Indeed it would. (Hwy 3.)

Lastly, I am well aware that PR living is generally hard scrabble, but if any one of you Rio Grande residents can find some positive things to say, it might make it easier to compromise.

If I were in your position, I'd rent a place high up on one of the north-facing sides of one of the mountains of RG. You may be able to get a place with a fantastic view of the sea. The cooler temperature is heaven at that elevation, especially compared to the frying pan-like heat at sea level.

However, you'd need to go down the mountain to get to the supermarket. If you don't have a car or at least a motorized scooter, this would be impractical. Best of luck.

Thanks

DM

Other than in the San Juan metro area I wouldn't recommend to live anywhere on the island without having (access to) a car. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's really difficult to get around

IMHO, for you that do not drive a car and is not planing on a car, your only real options is to live in the metro area. You will have the option of the train, busses and taxis.

Sorry but it is not practical any other way specialy if your doctors are in the metro area.

Hi Seoulguy,
We have a house in Rio Grande, in the Las Tres T area, and will be living there full time in September of this year.  I agree with the comments already provided: it's going to be difficult to get around without a car; not impossible, but a strenuous exercise for doing just basic errand-running in the local area, and a great ordeal for going into San Juan for an appointment. On the other hand, you may be able to find someone in the area that would be willing to drive you occasionally to where you need to go for a fee.  Nothing is impossible.  We love the area because it is close to many of the amenities, 20 miles from the airport, easily accessible to San Juan, yet far enough out that it feels country/rural.  Best of luck to you!

Gary, I agree with you wholeheartedly that you definitely need a car here. We were without a car for 6 months and it was not fun. Luckily we live right outside of town and could walk easily in about 30 mins. but getting the groceries back and any other thing we bought was murder. Mostly we had to rely on "carros publicos" which are not easily found any more or the generosity of people we met. Luckily we are both bilingual and that makes it easier.

Another thing is that without a car, we were not able to travel around our beautiful island and since my hubby is a Vet and we have to go to San Juan for some Dr. appts. at the VA, it is difficult to get there and to Arecibo to the other clinic.

I thank my lucky stars every day that we were able to get a car and will hope that we won't have to go without it again.  When you are in our area, Quebradilla ,come on by. email me and we can get together at [email protected] or send me a private message. I don't get on here too often but I will check it from time to time. Also do you play Texas Holdem?

Take care,

Tonie