Corozal

Hi all!!

Myself and my common law wife are looking to buy a small house or apartment in Corozal this coming January.  We would have $50,000 cash, maximum to buy.  I would very much appreciate any information on locations, possible bank financing and the potential for renting said property for 6 months if we were to return to Canada after 6 months.

Cheers!!

Gregg & Shirl

reply to leafsrus            most expats would suggest that you invest in a trip to Belize and explore the 5 districts, as each is unique.  find the area you like best and rent a cottage for some months or a year and see if you are comfortable.  many Belizeans &  expats will be happy to sit with you over lunch and share their experiences and perceptions.  Each of us has a differing view.  I live in Corozal, where rents are inexpensive depending on what you need/want.

best luck

Hi Leafsrus - I don't have answers for you, but just wanted to say Hi as we live in Beamsville, ON and own a property & house in Corozal. Most people on this forum would advise renting before buying.  We are a few of the crazy people that bought before renting(yes we did rent after buying our property while our house was being built) - we love it and are heading there this Sunday for another month.

Thank you for the responses, it sounds like it would be prudent to rent first.

Thanks again!

Hi leafsrus Rick and I are one of the different ones. We did a tour of the country in 3/2013 and decided to live in Corozal.  We are buying property at Royal Colony Estates. They do have a website. Our plan is to move next 6/2014.  We did a tour of the country with belizeparadise.net.  This is how we found this property.  Linda

If you are looking for property to buy - you can get an idea of pricing etc by looking at the various realtor's websites. Remax and Century21BTL both have updated listings. They also post rental properties on line. This would be a good place to start.
Do you plan to buy a car while you are here - as some areas - like Consejo Shores are not practical to live without one. There are hotels in town like the Maya Hotel that are close to everything - they also have long term rental apts.
Rentals are not easy to find - so book ahead.

There is no bank financing here - you may be able to get owner financing on some properties. There are a few developers that will give you terms on land, ie with deposit and a monthly payment. Things are generally very negotiable - so if you do find a place you like - make an offer about the terms.
But please do take the advice above - come and spend 6 months+ here before you do anything. Some people come here and love it - others, not so much.  If you haven't spent extended time in a 2nd or 3rd world country, it may prove to be too much of a culture shock. Then, it could prove difficult to sell your home. Some homes stay on the market for years - and that may be too much of a financial burden to you. Things here are easy to buy -but hard to sell.
Also - make sure you spend some time here in the rainy season.

Thank you Linda & Nichi for the advice and info, every bit helps!! :)

hi there send me a PM and I can fill you in on all things about Corozal

"hi there send me a PM and I can fill you in on all things about Corozal"

Sounds so mysterious - what are the rest of us missing about Corozal??????

Nichi
Nothing mysterious, its just that I am used to these kind of forums and usually get some jerk with negative remarks when I post, so rather speak directly, but since you are a little curious and possibly a little paranoid I will post my thoughts about it

1st of all I would never look at dealing with anyone from Century or Remax and as to getting an idea of prices on these websites is crazy thinking, they all are priced toooooo high. do some research and ask locally, always get a professional to deal with sale and maybe do a survey on the property, if you are not confident yourself.

For $50K you may find something in Corozal Town, but not anything on any of the expat retirement developments, unless you buy the land and build your own, you can still buy land for under $10K and for $40K you will get a wooden shack off the Mennonites. You could also build a small concrete home but you will have to do most the work yourself for $40K.

I lived for about a year in Consejo without a car and did fine, used my thumb a lot, school buses and the good nature of Consejo folks.

There is Bank Financing but don't bother, its over the top.

Open a Bank account, they will want reference letter from your own bank, with balance and your status with bank, basically saying you are a good bet.

Change money with the Indians in town, they give better rates than banks

The homes that stay on the market are on for too much, simple as that, I know a development that has sold every home within 3 months of going to market, this is because everything was marketed at a realistic value.

All of the Northern part of Belize is Lowland and prone to flooding in the Wet season, but a little fill and some cleaver drainage can deal with that, unpaved roads are different in Corozal District, they flood, end of.

If you are going to invest in a vehicle get a 4x4.

I am one of the ones that bought land 2 days of being in Belize. This is because I did my research before hand and was prepared to gamble that money.

Go on the belizeforum . com there is a lot of good advice offered but you will have to weed through the 'Chaff'

There is a new development (oasis) just north of Corozal on the Consejo Road, that is selling Lots at realistic prices and the guy is honest, go on consejo . bz to find his website there is also a lot of good stuff on here.

Good luck and if you want, drop me a line, I will fill you in on more things Corozal.

Mcagun- great knowledge! Thanks for that post!

Mcagun - fair comment all the way around. NO paranoia though - I took my medication. :)
My only counter opinion-  I would find living in Consejo without a car to be difficult for me. Maybe b/c I'm a woman, and wouldn't want to rely on having to thumb a ride.
Barefoot properties -ie Jeff @Oaisis are a good bet, but I think that they have some restrictive covenance about building a Mennonite home there, but maybe not. He is selling some lots for just under $10,000 - the same size lot at Royal Colony (down the street) is $30,000. Other developers advertise one price, then jack the price up once one or two lots are sold.
Yes, the prices are so out of line on the real estate sites, but what it does do is give people an idea of what is available and its a good way to find a 3-6 month rental - as they post both.
It is also a good intro into the craziness that you will find here when you arrive and begin to look for properties. Remax and Century are an excellent intro into the "rabbit hole of real estate madness". As far as buying from them - most prices posted are 50% too high.

When I look at the property market here, I see too many mega mansions being built. What is a retired person going to do with a 2 -3000+ sq ft house? Didn't we just leave that all behind?

Potential Belize retirees have also been sold an unrealistic set of expectations by  ‘International Living” and other retirement advice sites.

When we finally arrive at these idyllic locations, you feel like fresh meat to the slaughter.
I see expat contractors coming here and building a house/s on spec for less than $45 a square foot and trying to sell that same place for more than $125 a square foot. (An expat contractor is no guarantee that you won't get shoddy workmanship).

As a buyer, you know (or learn quickly) that there are two prices for everything here - the Belizean price and the expat price - what you don't expect is that these rip-offs seem to be coming from other ex-pats.
Looking at the asking prices on existing houses, it just seems easier to build it yourself. (even if you really don't want to build)
Sure, some new expat arrivals do buy existing homes or lock into an expat development - and some even buy sight unseen at those high prices. They have paid too much at the onset.

And while the developers here made their money, the homeowner, when they come to sell a few years later, probably won't get their investment back.

I still find it hard to justify spending more for a house in Belize than for a house in Florida or Arizona. I bough a small house  in Florida last year for a fraction of the price that I am seeing here.
After hearing one sad story after another - mostly from people having to leave suddenly, but  their houses sit here deteriorating at ridiculous high prices, while genuine potential buyers move on to other markets.

Even finding a reasonable home  in Corozal Town for under $50,000 is rare. The locals are catching on, that expats will pay those high prices. So they list high - hoping to make a windfall.

And so true about the flooding - that was why I suggested coming here in the rainy season - it doesn't take much to flood some areas.

I'm moving on to the Santa Elena/ SI region. Prices seem more reasonable, fewer expat communities to skew the market.

agree with Mcgun and Nichi about real estate investments here.
  I am really annoyed by the bulls eye of $ signs on my forehead.  I do not like the one price for me because I am blonde and another for my neighbor, Oscar.  If my husband would quit wearing white socks and tennis shoes he could pass for local and get the right price.  LOL

I have seen the low prices in the states but don't care for the high taxes and crime rates but must admit do like the idea of owning a gun maybe because it would never happen in the UK we just let crazy exstremist go around cutting off people's heads in the streets. But that's me  going off on a tagent

There are still deals to be made in Belize and for folk coming from the UK these deals are still a lot cheaper  than anything you could get in the UK.
Not sure where the $45 comes from, the CBA now enforcing the rules, has put about $9 a foot on costs before you break ground. Every piece of land has a maximum return no matter what you build on it this is to do with a lot of factors most to do with location and location

If you are just thinking of making a quick profit then there are better places to invest in, me I just want to get out to Belize ASAP if I have to wait until my retirement investment matures then its not for another 15 years that's 11 years too late as far as I am concerned, so looked at other ways to get there and as all I know is construction then it's house building for me but I may start to upset a few local developers as I only want to make a living not a fortune.
In Consejo you won't find much under $25K for a lot add $2000 for CBA and another $1000 to prep the lot if you build 1000 ft home your already in it for $28 a foot before you break ground if you build 2000 then you half your ft/2 costs by building bigger smaller is not always cheaper

Hey Mcagun, really appreciate the info you gave. I will contact you soon about long term rental, as I agree better to rent before buy.

Hi, can a retired couple on a fixed income of 50,000yr. live in a furnished apt. or small house rental near the town center and live comfortably in Corozal? And how would you compare the cost of living to living in Costa Rica. Jerry

Is there a way to see a list of available rentals on line, I can't seem to find any on any of the web sites.

Google rentals Corozal Belize...but you will get just a small amount of what is available.

You really need to be here...and talk with people and go looking to find the place you want. Sorry....you just need to do it yourself, I would really say stay away from people who think they can do it for you.

Thanks for the tip, would you recommend a town that is big enough to have all the amenities and not to far from the airport? this could give us a start for places to check out next year for ourselves.

I live in the Northern part of Belize, but less than 2hrs drive to the international airport.

If you have to make a quick escape...well maybe Corazal is to far away lmao.

You really need to explore here...its the only way to do it. Me, I'm no salesperson...just and everyday guy, who probably needs a life, lol. But come to Corozal...I'll help you find what it is you are looking for.

jerry, HAWK is correct.  You have to come here and check out places for your-self.  Belize City is more or less centrally located, however it has the problems of city life--noise, dirt and crime.   The rest of Belize has few of these issues.  maybe there is a place in Lady ville, which is just outside of Belize, where you could get a short term rental and use that as a home base while you check out all of the districts.   we plan to check out all of the districts during our year in Corozal.

Thanks for the info. I did spot a web site on-line in regards to San Ignacio Town and it looks like a place that we may like. Do you know how far it is to the airport to San Ignacio Town? Jerry

if you are subscribed to all the other belize blogs, look for postings by prestonia.  I believe she lives near there and could tell you travel times.

Thanks guys, I will do just that.

Hi, IŽm thinking in live in Belice, but I would like how mucht does it cost monthly, rent ( 1 bedroom) services, light, water,l gas, phone, internet and so on, is easy get the residence, please if you can answer me
thanks
Maria eugeni
[email protected]

I have noticed that there are a lot of FaceBook pages relating to property in Belize.
Google anything you want

Facebook, Belize, Rent
Facebook, Belize, Corozal
Facebook, Belize, Buy
Facebook, Belize, House
Facebook, Belize, Boat

Try it, it works, just join group or add as friend then you will get all listings of things that people want or are advertising

Thank you for you response, but IŽm looking the answer of people like you who lives in Belice day by day, is it very hard? just tell me how much is the cost of rent, services, food etc.

MEUGENIAHUCKSTADT

Obviously depends how extravagant you want to live, if you want to live cheap then you could survive on about

$300/500BZE Rent
$200BZE Utilities Gas/Electric
$400BZE Food

$500US $1000BZE Month

Once you have been in Belize a month or so you could perhaps grow your own Veg and perhaps a few Chucks, then your Food bill drops.

also as a foreign visitor you will need to pay your Visa every month think it is $25 for 1st 6 month then goes up to $50 thereafter

THANKS TOU VERY MUCH IT IS WHAT I WAS NEEDING, I WONT TO LIVE MAINLY QUIT I DONŽT NEED LUXURIES , JUST BEACH
THANKS THANKS THANKS

The internet is a good place to rely on if you want gringo pricing. At those high advertised prices you are expected to negotiate - if you pay the advertised real estate rates, you know that you are being taken for a ride.

The cost of living in Belize is just like anywhere else - it depends on the lifestyle you want to maintain. If you want to maintain a purely US/European lifestyle, then it will be expensive, more expensive than living in the USA.
But if you can adapt to the local lifestyle, it can be less expensive than the USA.
Most people end up with a mix of the 2.

You can eat at a roadside chicken BBQ for BZ$8 a meal - or have a 1st class meal for BZ$60 or more. An average meal of beans and rice with stewed chicken is about BZ $10 - $16 depending on the restaurant. A glass of rum punch at a local bar is between BZ$8 - $12 depending on the bar and how well you know the bartender.

You can buy fresh fruit or vegetables at the market - BZ$20 will buy a whole bag of them, but if you want a US$3 bag of pretzels it will cost about BZ12 a bag. Any US brand product will be more expensive. Products that come from Mexico will be less.

Your utility bill could be a low as BZ$70 - but it could also be as high as BZ$800 if you use air conditioning all day and night.  Most long term rentals exclude the cost of utilities.

Internet ranges from about BZ$25 for 124Kbps to BZ$700 for 8Mbps. or you could use the Smart dongle or mfi where you get a data package. Both BTL and Smart have extensive website that explain their packages and plans. I pay BZ$165.00 for 1Mbps including taxes and modem rental.

Cell phones depend on the plan that you choose - Smart has plans that range from BZ$30 for 120 minutes to BZ$750 for 3000 minutes.

Remember there is sales tax on everything @ 12.5%

You can find rentals in any price range - but you should probably plan to rent something for a month at a B&B or monthly hotel rental, then spend that month looking for a more permanent arrangement. Seabreeze, Hotel Mayan and Tony's all have short term efficiency type apts.
TV cable starts at about BZ$25 for a local system, but if you are not in an are covered by the local provider, then your only option is for something like a Canadian Shaw Satellite system where the prices are from about CDN$120 - $200 - depending on the package you choose, plus the cost of buying and bringing in a dish and receiver.

You can find a basic apt in the BZ$400-600 range in Corozal or a small Belizean house for about BZ$500 -800. If you are looking for something unfurnished, the you could find it for less.
But the homes that are advertised on the internet will be gringo pricing. If you do an internet search, the homes are listed in the US$550-US $1500 + Utilities. Houses in other areas, like Placencia, might be more.

If you are looking for inexpensive deals, then you have to ask around (Bartender or taxi drives are good for information) and walk the neighbourhoods, you won't find those prices on the internet.

Corozal, for example is spread out and you will need a car to live in many places - or you will have to depend on a taxi - so that will limit your choices.
Cars are expensive here - and so is gas. Gas is about BZ$12 a gallon.  Car insurance - liability only is in the BZ$200 - BZ$300 range per year. But you will pay more for shorter term policies.

Basic Food items: Corozal pricing
Tin Condensed Milk - BZ$2.00
Tin Tomato Sauce - BZ$3.50
Tin Kidney beans - BZ$3.50
Pasta 200g BZ$1.15
Coffee -Maxwell House ground - 896g - between BZ$27.50 - $30.00
Peanut Butter - 510g - BZ$6.75
Tin - Alpo dog food BZ$2.25 - BZ$2.50
Rum - 1 litre Caribbean Rum - BZ$13.75
Wine - white Californian - BZ$35.00

If you have something specific that you want the price on just post it and I will try to find it for you.

Things to consider, is that you will probably want to eat out more often, as it sometimes gets too hot to cook. That pushes up your food bill.
You can prepare a good meal at home for BZ$8-$10 for 2 people - the same meal for 2 in a restaurant, with drinks and beer, is in the BZ$30 - $BZ45 range plus a tip. Again, it's all about lifestyle, as we usually now eat out about 3-4 times a week.

Some things are cheaper here, other things are more expensive than the USA or Canada.
It is probably costing me, on average, about 20- 25% less here than living in BC, Canada (with rent being the biggest single factor in Vancouver), and about 8-10 % less than living in Florida (with medical coverage being excluded).

But - I am living a much simpler life style here, so hence, it's costing me less.  If I wanted to match my Florida lifestyle - then Belize would be more expensive.

MEUGENIAHUCKSTADT

Just to let you know - there are no actual beaches in Corozal.  Just a retaining wall that separates the bay from the town.
There are a few nice parks along the water, but its grass and not sand.

The kids jump off the wall to swim, but it's not your typical beach side town, that you see in the photo's. You would have to go to a place like Hopkins or Placencia for that.
The rentals are generally more expensive there, especially in the winter season. The restaurants are also a bit more expensive there as well.

THANKS, YOU ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE, HOW MANY TIME DO YOU LIVE IN COROZAL? IS EASY TO FIND AN HOSTEL ROOM CHEAPER ONE FOR THE FIRST TIME WHILE WI FIND A HOUSE?, WE THINK THAT WEŽL ARRIVE IN COROZAL MAY BE ON MARCH, HOW FAR IS A NICE BEACH FROM COROZAL?, IS POSSIBLE TO GET IT BY BICYCLE?, SORRY FOR BEING SO ANSWERING

Tulum, Mexico has some great beaches - it's about a 3 hour drive from Corozal - and approx 5 hours on the bus.

Placencia is about 5 hours by car from Corozal. They have a really nice beach.

Corozal to Hopkins is about 4 hours by car - and they have some really nice spots.

You can fly over to Ambergris Cay from San Pedro to Corozal is about a 20-25 minute flight with Tropic Air for BZ$43 each way. They have a few flights each day.

THANKS AGAIN

Nichi is right, there is not much in the way of beaches, in Corozal, although there are a few north of Corozal, but not anywhere I would say you could get to buy bike, I will rephrase that, not anywhere that I could get to on a bike.
There are some nice secluded beaches north of Corozal along the bay but only accessible by water.

North of Yakuna Bay between Consejo Shores, there is also a cool island opposite this Bay where I have seen Storks
Smugglers Den has a little nice beach, when it's open, and there is a nice beach on Buccaneer Bay and 1 North of this up to the river.
But again this is not a bike ride for the faint hearted, but then again people bike this 7+ mile road on a daily basis, "When it is possible" !!

Smuggler's Den is a nice place, but you have to be staying at the hotel  to use the beach . Rates are reasonable rooms starting at US$35.00 a night - up to US$125.00 for a cabin.

But you need a car to get there. Or taxi - I think the taxi ride is about BZ$20 each way.
Anything else you need a boat to get to.

AT US$35 a night, ( or US$1050 a month )that would exceed the amount that Mcagun quoted for living expenses here.

Did you get to Belize yet?  I am located in Hamilton and go to Belize regularly.  If you are still in Port Colbourne let me know/ or if in Corozol.  I will be going for 3 months - Jan, Feb. and March. 
Ginny

Hi there may I ask who your builder was?

@ belizein2020 > To whom are you talking to please? Also note that this thread is very old (2013) :)

@mcagun Very sage and accurate advice I thank you from Texas. Today is Oct 7, 2023; be in BZ again on 23rd Oct for awhile again, solo travel country including Corozal Town and area. Can I get us supper and have a conversation soon? Steve