Moving to Romania- how easy to find job if i do not speak the language

Hi, my name is Debbie and I  am moving to Romania soon and was wondering as a do not speak any Romanian how easy it would be to find a job or to go to college to learn how to teach English as a foreign language and any other tips anyone has...even getting married in the country..is it easier to do it here at home or wait until we get to Romania

Many thanks in advance for your replies x  :D:top:

Hello debbie78 and welcome to Expat.com :)

Kindly note that a new thread has been created with your post on the Romania forum for a better visibility.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

I can provide a few suggestions and comments.

In regards to finding a job, I don't mean to discourage you but it is not easy to find a job here, especially if you don't know Romanian.  It's not impossible, but it really depends on the city and more importantly, your background. There are more opportunities in Bucharest, but there are also a lot more people looking for jobs (most, or all, of which know Romanian). There are some industries (such as IT) where most people also speak English, so depending upon the demand for your expertise your chances increase.

As far as getting married, that all depends on how difficult (and how much it costs) wherever you are. If you can easily get married there, I would do so, if I were you.  I assume that you are getting married to a Romanian citizen and that you'll be applying for a Long Stay Visa when you come here.  If you get married wherever you are, you will need to get the marriage certificate and your birth certificate certified and possibly Apostillized (again, it depends on where you're coming from). When you get here you will need to get them translated.  Make sure you apply for the Long Stay Visa within the 90 days that your passport allows you to stay.  If you are late, they will fine you.

If you choose to get married here, make sure you bring certified copies (again, possibly Apostillized) of your birth certificate and divorce certificate (if you've been previously married).  Again, you will need to get them translated when you get here, along with other things. The other thing that you might want to get before you come is a Police Clearance Certificate (or some sort of document that shows you don't have any outstanding warrants in the country you are coming from). It says online that you need that for the Long Stay Visa, but perhaps it depends on the immigration office because they didn't require that for me, but I am not in Bucharest.  Regardless, you may need that when you get a job.  That's when I needed it.

I hope this helps a little.  Every situation is different.

Hey,
Did you moved to Bucharest or not yet ?

StevenSava wrote:

As far as getting married, that all depends on how difficult (and how much it costs) wherever you are. If you can easily get married there, I would do so, if I were you.  I assume that you are getting married to a Romanian citizen and that you'll be applying for a Long Stay Visa when you come here.  If you get married wherever you are, you will need to get the marriage certificate and your birth certificate certified and possibly Apostillized (again, it depends on where you're coming from). When you get here you will need to get them translated.  Make sure you apply for the Long Stay Visa within the 90 days that your passport allows you to stay.  If you are late, they will fine you.

I can confirm this. I did all those things. I married my Romanian wife while we were still in the states (where I'm from), and it was relatively easy to get everything translated, notarized, apostilled (or whatever the word is), etc. Of course, it was easy for me because my wife did it all... but at least there's a system in place and people who tell you what you need. The only difficult part is getting the same answer from any 2 immigration officials, but as a general rule, always bring all of your documents in original and 2 copies to every meeting and things will go more smoothly!
And yes, I overstayed at the beginning and paid an impressive fine, >$100 USD. Funny, the lady at immigration insisted there was nothing to worry about, "We don't kick out Americans!" over and over, no hurry, it's not like it used to be, etc. OK, they don't kick out Americans, but they assume you can shrug off a $100 fine.

If you are a native English speaker and you have some kind of college degree, you can find decent work teaching English, at least in Bucharest. There's demand everywhere, but most of the people who can afford a private English tutor are in Bucharest. Doing it officially will take a little more work - either you open a small firm, or become an independent contractor, or you will have to find a company. There are some, though!