Safe or not - Józsefváros

Hello!

I've found nice apartment in Józsefváros, József utca but don't now much about VIII. kerulet so I was wondreing is it safe place? I am girl and would be living alone. any help appreciated. Thank you!

My husband never even considered looking at flats in the 8th district and he is Hungarian.
Some parts near the Museum are nice but in general it is a dangerous area, at night forget it.
We live in the 7th, a bit safer area, the 6th is nice and parts of the 9th are very nice.
We walk once in awhile in day time through a few streets in the 8th on our way to a market but I am never comfortable going there alone at any time.
My ex DIL was Hungarian and 15 years back she would drive into the 8th at night with my son to collect rent on a ghetto apt. her mother owned. She would tease my son and say dumb stuff like,"Now you will be losing your nice leather jacket".
It is dangerous, my friend works for a real estate co, and was living in the 8th in a brand new nice flat with underground parking. A few times we walked home after dinner at her place at night and it was creepy.

I am in the inner 9 th and it is great
8 is ok on the main roads  not on the back streets but that is the same in any city.

Even if the 8th district was safe, the average resident there is a bit different then what you have probably experienced where you lived before at least if you are not from the inner city of L.A. or areas like Inglewood, Cal.
The 8th district has cheap rent and attracts newbies from non EU countries, not exactly the best neighborhood. Fights, drunks on the street, beggars or people trying to sell you junk as you walk by.Noise and wild parties at times  people with screaming kids and clothing hanging outside in common areas. Many flats have many people living in each one.
Ghetto would be the nice term for the 8th district.
Just walking through I saw many houses that looked very nice but my husband said I could move in there alone because he would never move into the 8th.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....Just walking through I saw many houses that looked very nice but my husband said I could move in there alone because he would never move into the 8th.

I'm always amazed that Hungarians have encyclopedic knowledge of all the Budapest districts, all the bus and tram routes, their timings and all details the villages in Pest county.  Well, Mrs Fluffy does anyway.

I don't know about the centre so much but the best districts for families are 2, 2A, 3 and 12. All very safe if a bit hilly and probably useful to have a car. It's all the burbs out there so maybe not such fun for young singles and singletons.

Hi,

I live right across Rákócksi ter on the opposite direction, it's a safe area, as any other big city. Just avoid talking to strangers on your way back home at 03:00 am :-) Regular common sense is advised.

Enjoy the city!!!