Moving to Punta Cana in August 2015

Hello,

This is my second post - so far this forum has been super helpful, hoping for a little more help.

I'm making the big move to PC with my wife and two young girls this August.. This is very exciting however I'm left wondering about a few important details:

1) I'm purchasing a one-way ticket for the family .. How do I deal with the Punta Cana Imigration officials ?  Do I just pay for a temporary visa?

2) Assuming I get through the airport, how do I go about processing the appropriate documents to authorize a lengthy stay - I do understand that we will become residents after 5 months .. But what do we do until then.

Pretty sure I need an immigration lawyer - however I figured you all could give me some pointers. 

Sincerely,

Chris

Chris the visa you buy when you enter is valid for 30 days. Some current rumors are it is now good for 90 days but I have not seen that in writing yet.

Your residency process needs to start in your home country NOT here so  you need to start the process before you arrive.   Look at the forum threads on visas and residency.  The process is pretty well explained there. Yes if you are not fluent in Spanish you will need a lawyer to help you through the process.

As to the one way ticket the authorities here don't care or check if  you have a return ticket.  HOWEVER your airline carrier may very well require that you have a return ticket for everyone before they will let you board the plane to come here.  If this is the case the easiest thing is to buy a fully refundable ticket for your return and then when you get here cancel it.

Hope this helps and welcome to the DR

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.  Bob is correct,  check the thread on residencia,  you need to start gathering your paperwork NOW not later,  you cannot start the process without doing the steps in YOUR home country.  THat applies to all of you. 

Once you do that you will receive a 60 day visa -  on arrival you have 60 days to get your applications filed.  I can recommend Wilson Rood [email protected]    he is in Santo Domingo, fluent English and Spanish and he can walk you through the process. 

I assume you have a job to go to? OR a business or you work from home????