Work in Iceland on a Farm

Hello  :)

My name is Marina. A friend and I (we are both 19) want to work on a farm in Iceland. It doesn´t matter which farm (sheep, cattle, mixed..) but we can´t ride a horse.

We want to go from October for the period of 4 to 6 month.

Does anyone know some farms who need help? And where we become maybe some money for the work? And it would be nice if we can work together on a farm.

So please comment and help a girl who wants to fulfill her dreams :)

ninukot.is/index.php?id=289&L=1=289&L=1

Something went wrong when I posted the link. It is to an angency for farm workers called Ninukot.
ninukot.is/index.php?id=289&L=1

ok thank you :) do I have to pay some money for that? :)

According to the website there is a programme fee of 595€, for things like pick up, orientation, help with paperwork etc. The good thing going with Ninukot is that you are a worker (and paid!), not a volunteer, which gives you a lot of protection (work hours, pay etc according to law) I have heard bad stories from ppl going privately.

Hello Marina,

I used workaway.info for a year's membership and worked on a farm in Akureyri.

Communication was good, accommodation and food are provided for.

This is the summer period so farms will appreciate help. The membership isn't expensive so you should definitely try contacting the farms :)

Thank u! :)

Maybe you can send me a e-mail beacause i have some question if it´s ok for you :)

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons please do not give over personal contact infos on the forum

I sent you a private message...

@ efiabruni > If you have some information to communicate, i invite you to post on the forum itself, so that everybody can benefit from them. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

@ Priscilla

Marini95 wrote:

Thank u! :)

Maybe you can send me a e-mail beacause i have some question if it´s ok for you :)

My post was a reply to the above...

Hey people,

Im just considering to go to Iceland as well but for summer maybe till october. Do you think I can get some job there on farm after ariving there? Cos on internet I cannot find anything :/ Do you now how is situation on farms by now? Do they need workers?
Thank you:)

Where are you from? If you are from an EEA country you can look at Ninukot, it is as far as I know the only organisation for work and travel in Iceland see ninukot.is/index.php?id=266 .
The visa requirements for non EEA citizens are very strict, you need a job offer to apply and your employer will have to prove that you have particular skills that an Icelander cannot do (so it is only possible for highly specialized jobs).

Thank you for your answer:) I am from Slovakia, so this will not be a problem. Yeah, I checked this ninukot before, but they want 600 euros, for finding you a job.And then I need of corse some money to get there and live till my first wage. But what I would like to know is,what do you think about goiing ther on blind, just to try get some seasonal work for a while:)What do you think?

IMO the problem with going blind is that the farms are very spread out in a country that's already pretty remote. If you have a car with you it would be slightly easier but you will spend a lot of fuel chancing it with various farms, and there will be no guarantee of any fair treatment if you're there on your own out in some remote place. With Ninukot at least you will have resources if things don't turn out very well, so you're not just paying for them to find you a job.

You could also look into the volunteer organization called Seeds (http://www.seeds.is/) for other outdoor work opportunities, but you don't get paid there AFAIK.