Mopeds/electric bikes?

I'm well aware of the poor public transportation in PR, even in the Metro area.  Anyone know of the rules regarding mopeds or gas-powered bicycles, the latter being street legal in AZ without a license.  Of course, AZ has quite possibly the worst drivers in the world, so even the contemplation of riding on the same streets would be suicidal.

DM

Forgive my unserious answer but effectively, there are no rules.

seoulguy wrote:

I'm well aware of the poor public transportation in PR, even in the Metro area.  Anyone know of the rules regarding mopeds or gas-powered bicycles, the latter being street legal in AZ without a license.  Of course, AZ has quite possibly the worst drivers in the world, so even the contemplation of riding on the same streets would be suicidal.

DM

Driving a moped/electric bike in PR on the sidewalks (when there are any) is likely to be safe but some people may take offense. Driving it on the roads, specially in heavy traffic or in the country roads is likely to be suicidal even in the states, and in PR much more. If you get hit, they may just run and not call for help.

As to laws .... People get away with a lot in PR because some people choose to ignore what you are doing or the cops can't sometimes be bothered with the paperwork or because they are paying too much attention to the young ladies to bother with you. Maybe someone that is currently in the island can make a phone call and ask the police department if you need a license and where you are allowed to drive.

I see what you're saying.  Where I need to cross every day to the supermarket in Tucson, there is a ped xing, complete with red signal.  Red signal on, ped goes/car stops.  Normally, but not here.  Two ran the red light right in front of me yesterday, and it happens all the time.  Does it doe any good to notify the waste-of-space politicians or cops. No! So, living where I won't have a bulls eye on my back for either a crazy driver (AZ) or gun-toting nut (AZ) is what I'm looking for.

Interest in why you wouldn't consider leeward PR (Cabo Rojo on up the coast)?  I have clients in Cambridge and Boston.

DM

Hi seoulguy.

Here are many reasons why I will not use a moped or bike in Puerto Rico

https://www.google.com.pr/search?q=pot+ … B350%3B350

seoulguy wrote:

I see what you're saying.  Where I need to cross every day to the supermarket in Tucson, there is a ped xing, complete with red signal.  Red signal on, ped goes/car stops.  Normally, but not here.  Two ran the red light right in front of me yesterday, and it happens all the time.  Does it doe any good to notify the waste-of-space politicians or cops. No! So, living where I won't have a bulls eye on my back for either a crazy driver (AZ) or gun-toting nut (AZ) is what I'm looking for.

Interest in why you wouldn't consider leeward PR (Cabo Rojo on up the coast)?  I have clients in Cambridge and Boston.

DM

I am interested in the East Coast because I am a native Puerto Rican, that have family in the east general area and I love Snorkeling, fishing and Boating, the East side is perfect for that and I know the general area and also know most of the metro San Juan, Santurce, Hato Rey, Rio Piedras, Condado, Isla verde, Carolina Areas. But I also know the ways of El Campo (Country side), so I could do fine anywhere in the island, but do not want to be too far from the family, traveling from Cabo Rojo or Rincon area is likely a 3 hour trip each way.

About AZ, I have visited many times and was considering AZ, & CO for retirement since I speak both languages including the Mexican version of Spanish and for the wife which only speaks English, but she changed her mind so Puerto Rico it where we are going when the time comes. I used to speak some german also, but have not spoken the language since 1982, so I only remember a few words, Love Germany also but I am too rusty.

Thanks Ms. Marchant for taking the time and trouble to respond.  Yes, I know it's a bad idea, but I don't drive, so it's walk, bike or public, if there is one say from Rincon up through Aguadilla.  Biking and 2 stroke gas-powered biking are not the same (also electric powered).  If I knew licensing was or was not required (some states do not require DL for gas-powered 2 cycle up to 20 MPH, I'd at least have the info.  As to accidents, pot holes, reckless drivers, yeah, all of that has to be taken into consideration.

You're in Rincon, so you are lucky.  Any Pueblo or Amigo there?

DM

Hi again - I understand why you are looking for ways to get around transportation-wise, 
and I already knew about the type of biking you mentioned.
Best of luck!

Ms. Marchant,

Yes, I meant publico, not public. Even sporadic guagua between Rincon and Aguadilla would afford me the shopping available in Aguadilla w/o having to live there.  Apparently, there is a Blue Line and Linea Sultana.

You might be interest to know that 45 years ago, I used a conventional bike all around SJ, RP and HR, even up to Summit Hills where I worked without so much as a blip of trouble.  On weekends, I'd bike from RP to Ocean Park and the beach. I don't think I could do it now without some gas or electric power, that's all I'm saying.  I'll check with the bike stores.  There's one in Cabo Rojo.

DM

Glad you brough the subject up I'm looking to buy a moped just to scoot down to the beach was wondering about registering it and getting a license plate if necessary... Thank for any info

seoulguy wrote:

Ms. Marchant,

Yes, I meant publico, not public. Even sporadic guagua between Rincon and Aguadilla would afford me the shopping available in Aguadilla w/o having to live there.  Apparently, there is a Blue Line and Linea Sultana.

You might be interest to know that 45 years ago, I used a conventional bike all around SJ, RP and HR, even up to Summit Hills where I worked without so much as a blip of trouble.  On weekends, I'd bike from RP to Ocean Park and the beach. I don't think I could do it now without some gas or electric power, that's all I'm saying.  I'll check with the bike stores.  There's one in Cabo Rojo.

DM

A lot changed, I remember those times. A lot more cars now, more businesses along the roads, more construction, and lets not forget Cell Phones!!!! All designed to take the drivers eyes of the road.

Whatever mode of transportation anyone uses, it is helpful when it not only produces none or minimal air and ground pollution, it is helpful when it, and will be quietly non-intrusive on the ears too.