Tips for getting your first job in England

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in England?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in England?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Hi there,

Finding a job can be tricky, especially if you live in London. However, it's duable, you just need to be strategical and not to give up easily as you might face difficulties to find your dream job. You need to pay attention on your CV and cover letter before starting looking for a job. First step is to decide what type and nature of job you are looking for. Is it a part-time job, a ful-time job, a mini-job?

On the one hand if you are looking for a full-time position then I would suggest you get in touch with an recruitment agency (there is a great website called Agency Central that lists all the recruitment agencies in the UK). Recruitment agencies are great as they help you find a job according to your skills and past experience. If you prefer to look for a job online by yourself then there are hundreds of job boards that offer job vacancies. I will mention the best job boards below:

On the other hand, if you're targeting a part time job or summer job then a temping job agency would be the way to do it. If you want a part-time job and want it right now then you can look for:
1. Front of house job (in a theatre, cinema or an arts centre)
2. Bar Job (in a cafe, bar or restaurant)
3. Flyering job (distribute flyers in the street)

The best sites to look for part-time jobs are gumtree.com/  or craigslist.co.uk/

Below I mention some of the best Miscellaneous job sites where you can find full-time jobs or part-time jobs

1. agencycentral.co.uk/ - Has a concrete database of UK's recruitment agencies by sector
2. brokeinlondon.com/job-hunting/ - Has a list (with reviews) of the best UK job sites categorised by job sector
3. jobseekers.direct.gov.uk - the official job centre website
4. indeed.co.uk - In my opinion this is the best general job site around
5. cv-library.co.uk/ - My second favourite job board, lots of jobs, you upload your cv and wait for responses
6. reed.co.uk/ - Good recruitment agency and job board
7. fish4.co.uk/jobs/ - Another great general job board
8. jobs.guardian.co.uk - the job board of the famous Guardian
9. tes.co.uk/jobsHub.aspx - great for education jobs
10. monster.co.uk/ - Another of the best job boards, it offers lots of job vacancies, good search options,
11. milkround.com/ - The best for finding internships
12. timewisejobs.co.uk/ - A nice job site for part time jobs
13. artsjobs.org.uk/ - For arts jobs

I would also suggest you download some job mobile apps to take your job hunting on the go. The best are the Linkedin job app (itunes.apple.com/en/app/job-search/id309735670?mt=8) the Linkup job app (itunes.apple.com/us/app/job-search-engine/id327938377?mt=8) and Jobrio (play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bostone.android.hireadroid).

If you want more tips on finding a job in the UK check out these 2 archives:
brokeinlondon.com/tag/how-to-find-a-job/
brokeinlondon.com/tag/job-seekers/

Good luck!

To add to the great list above is the - thecaterer.com & - caterer.com

Jobs in the hospitality industry including catering, food industry, hotel, restaurant and pub jobs.

do those job or company support work visa aboard ??? i live in Hong Kong

Look everywhere and apply for any job you like irrelevant to the qualification most jobs offer training good luck people .

Thanks for these posts.Really helpful.

:one

MJ

Hello, I am a greek hairdresser and i just came in London and i am looking for a job to find. If any one can help me?
My problem is i dont speak a lot English.
Thanks!

are there any recruitment agencies there that can help me get a job in
uk? im a Filipino and currently here in Dubai. thanks for ant suggestions!

pelipe wrote:

What skills/qualifications do you have and what passport do you hold?

pelipe wrote:

If you're a nurse, there appears to be opportunities:

The shortage of newly qualified nurses has been filled by staff recruited by employment agencies.

The NHS has to deal with huge challenges, many the result of decisions taken years ago. For example, the number of funded places for young men and women training in this country as nurses was cut by 12% – 2,500 places – in 2012. The consequent shortage of newly qualified nurses has been filled by people recruited by employment agencies.
- Guardian