Red Tape

When I lived in Scottsdale, AZ, I went up to the local DMV, walked in, and after 20 minutes, walked out with card in hand.

I copied this from Obras Publicas:

"Tarjeta de Identificación para Personas de 16 Años o Más

A. REQUISITOS PARA SOLICITAR LA EXPEDICIÓN:

1.Tener 16 años de edad o más.

2.No poseer licencia de conducir.

3.Complementar el formulario DTOP-DIS-137 “Solicitud Tarjeta de Identificación para Personas de 16 años o más”.

4.Establecer prueba de presencia legal y fecha de nacimiento entregando el original de uno o más de los siguientes documentos: Certificado de Nacimiento (original y copia la cual se retendrá), ID Militar de E.U., Tarjeta de ID de E.U., Pasaporte Extranjero con Visa de E.U. y Tarjeta de Inmigración (I-94) vigente, Tarjeta de Inmigración (todos los documentos con foto reconocible y vigentes); Tarjeta de Seguro Social (original y copia la cual se retendrá), conforme a lo establecido en el Anejo I del formulario.

5.Tres fotos 2” x 2”, tomadas de frente, sin sombrero, sin uniforme y sin gafas oscuras.

6.Comprobante de Rentas Internas por la cantidad de $20.00 dólares, código 2028.

7.Certificación de ASUME, si aplica.

8.    Someter recibo de agua, luz o teléfono o cualquier otro que disponga el Secretario, que indique dirección principal. El documento no deberá tener más de dos (2) meses de expedido, conforme a lo establecido en el Anejo I de este formulario."

I've been in and out of Mexico hundreds of times, in and out of the Republic of So Korea, but this has to be a record setter for red tape.  Are there other such entanglements I have to look forward to? Maybe closing on RE?

D

Posted in Spanish can you please translate thank you

Johnnyhulk wrote:

Posted in Spanish can you please translate thank you

The instructions are for someone that does not currently have a license, the the basics are similar,
You have some seals to purchase for $20, 2 2x2 photos, need an ID, Proof of age (birth certificate showing older than 16), prove where you live (some bill with your name and address, fill out some forms, etc.

If you have a US driver license you will not need to take the test again and no driving test if your current license is not expired.

It is really not that different from other states, it just looks weird because is in Spanish. Other than the seal, I had to do very similar when I went to Colorado. Instead of a seal in other states you pay the money there. A lot of times there are people around the DMV that can handle most of that for you including the photos and seal.

No need to get photos ahead of time. They now take the photos at the DMV.  You need to get medical clearance, which is easily done by vendors that do business right next to the DMV. It costs about twenty dollars--don't remember exactly.  The whole process took me about two hours in Guayama, in the mall.

Oh, yes. There is much more Red Tape for you to enjoy in PR. The island is infamous for it!

Yes, lots of red tape. Most things are done the hard way, upside down and inside out. Our purchase of real estate 15 yrs ago required a lawyer and lawsuit and publication.