Hoja de coca

Is it legal in Peru ? The "hoja de coca" ?

Coca Tea or Mate de Coca as it is known in Peru (hoja de coca) is legal and widely sold in Peru. It is used quite frequently to treat altitude sickness and digestive problems.

Is Coca Tea a drug?

No!

Even tough the leaves of the coca plant contain several alkaloids including cocaine, it does not mean that coca leaf is equivalent to cocaine because to produce cocaine from the leaves it isneeded several kilos of leaves and some chemical products and processes to extract a few grams of cocaine which is not the case when consuming the leaves naturally and directly as a tea.

The tiny quantities of alkaloid that are naturally present in coca leaves provide only a slight energising sensation and are not addicting at all. In Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, indigenous people chew coca leaves for energy to work all day long without eating.

Coca tea is sold in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador in the supermarkets besides the other kinds of teas, there is even no limitation of age to purchase coca tea. It is seen as another kind of tea in these countries and it is starting to be seen as so in the rest of the countries.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

You can buy coca tea in all supermarkets and harina de coca (coca flour) in most health stores in Lima
Hope this helps

Wow! super interesting.  :/  I thought you only get the "hojas de coca" in the "black market" (let's call it like that). Hmm , here in Argentina, I'm almost sure is not legal but I've met people who have it. I don't know where do they get it from...