Meet up in Liberia?

Hello Liberia expats!

Anyone out there? If so...

My name is Sarah and I will be moving from Haiti to Liberia (Monrovia) in May 2015. I'd love to get your input/advice to Liberia. For instance:

1. What are some must-haves/things I definitely should bring from the US before I move to Liberia?

2. Any unique advice on living in Liberia?

3. Where are your favorite places to frequent/what are you favorite activities in Liberia?

If you are interested in meeting up for a drink or an adventure in Monrovia, please let me know!

Best,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Bring the things that you usually use, although you can find pretty much everything here, at a higher price usually. Depending on what you are going to do here, you might want to consider some rubber boots as the rainy season is approaching.

I would say life here is comparable to life in Haiti in many ways, so you will feel at home :) Lovely beaches, good restaurants, a few good places for nightlife...

Let me know if you have other questions,

Cheers,
Eniko

Hi Eniko,

Thanks a bunch for your helpful message!  How long have you been living in Liberia?  I'm glad to hear there is great nightlife, beaches, restos...

Do you have any specific suggestions on places to eat and things to do/explore?  And most importantly, besides rubber boots which I'm definitely bringing, do you have any suggestions on things I definitely should bring that might be very hard to find in Liberia?

All the best!

Dear Sarah,

Sorry for the late reply! There are a few great restaurants here, from the sushi and seafood one in Mamba Point hotel to  the Ethiopian restaurant, Royal, Fuzion, just to name a few of my favorites. Night life is quite cool too, night clubs (Scarlet, Gossip), salsa evenings on Fridays, live bands on Saturdays. There is a Hash House Harriers group (on Saturdays), yoga classes... Depends what your interests are.

In terms of things to bring, I mostly bring my cosmetics (sticking to my favorite products, food - things I cannot find here like raw almonds, figs), otherwise you can find pretty much everything. I didn't buy any clothing or shoes here, so couldn't tell what the offer looks like. Fresh veggies are fairly scarce, but there is not much you can do about that

Hope this helps,
Eniko

Hi Eniko,

Thanks a bunch for the awesome advice.  Where are the live bands on Saturdays and the yoga classes?

I just arrived in Monrovia.  Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a drink!

Best,
Sarah

Hey Expats!

I'm a fresh arrival to Liberia.  If you're in for a drink and/or exploration of the city, let's meet up!

Best,
S

So what do you do in Liberia ?

Hey. I work for save the children. And you?