Greetings From Michigan

Hello everyone.   I am new and thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Daniel and I currently live in Michigan.

I  am newly married..   approaching a year now and my wife is mexican and is currently residing in Irapuato.  We have been living apart because of our current work situations but are making the required adjustments to be together.   So my plans are to kind of live in both countries for alittle time now but make Mexico our home.    We are interested in San Miguel but really wont be able to afford living in el centro, but do like some of the neighborhoods close by. I have been consideringTequisquapan and Queretaro as possible places to live also.  More recently I have been researching Ajijic and Chapala and am trying to decide which is best for us.   From atleast what I have seen online Chapala and Ajijic look like beautiful areas.   So no firm decisions made yet.

Hi Michigan...I have heard they are both loaded with 'gringos'...expats, etc...and that is not to deride...just that
if you like the Mexican cultures...San Miguel is still wonderful I hear.  I am going to a coastal town..but
will be exploring allover to find best place.  You could do that as well.  Rent in a place for a while...look
around ..take those lovely buses....and well..just see where is best....take care,...cj

Hi Connie,

Yes I plan to rent for awhile.  I do want to spend time in each of these places and see what suits me best.  I have read the bus system there is pretty good.  The coastal towns would be really interesting Im sure.

Thanks

Anything wrong with Irapuato? Is Irapuato your wife's home town?

Chapala / Ajijic are quite different to SMA. Ajijic is akin to being in a Texas retirement community as the expat population of say 6000 out of 20,000 overwhelms the culture. SMA has 160,000 people in the greater area and about same number of expats. SMA often attracts a younger expat population. Winter nights are similar in temperature to Guadalajara or even a little cooler. Lake Chapala moderates temperatures but on the hottest days brings more humidity.

Cost of living is similar in both. Cost of living depends on where you buy your food as utilities, gasoline, Internet, telephone, water are all the same. Rents can be similar but more options in SMA.

Within an hour of SMA are Dolores Hidalgo, Queretaro (booming), Celaya and a little further are Leon and Guanajuato.

Happy to answer questions.

Sonia

Hi joaquinx,
My wife is in Irapuato because of her job.   Irapuato seems to be an agricultural area.  One could definetly live there reasonably but I think it lacks the charm of San Miguel, and Queretaro.  I would stay there for awhile but I wouldnt want to make it my long term home.   

Sonia,
Looking at the beautiful homes in the Chapala area kind of got my interest and the network of expats.  My wifes family though is closer the state of Queretaro so it makes sense to stay close to that area.  Thank you for the comparison.
I have been in SMA three times  and really find it to be a pretty area. 
Last time we were there we looked at Los Frailes.  I like the small parks there and the neighborhood feel.

Thanks
Daniel