Getting married in Serbia

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Serbia or who are about to get married in Serbia to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Serbia? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Serbia)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi,

I got married here in 2008 in Sremski Karlovci. All I needed was my Certificate from the Embassy that I was free to marry and a certified translated copy of my Birth Certificate. I am from the USA so our Birth Certificates never expire. In most cases (countries) you can order a copy of the Birth Certificate online and have it mailed directly to you here or to a family member there in SA. Once you and your partner have all that you can go to the court house and apply for a license and select a date. It will take about 3 weeks (depends alot on the date you want).

Hope this helps.

Dale (aka Lazar)

Hi, Try contacting the Agencies there directly and ask them to send the documents directly to you per registered mail. Most Govermental agencies also except credit cards and you can pay for the documents and postage that way or, contact DHL or FedEx and ask for pickup and delivery prices. I have used this for court records from the USA and it works.

Try contacting the SA Embassy in Germany, Austria, or the nearest SA Embassy that handles this area. I worked for the US DoS for a while and know that where they dont have an Embassy the nearest one usually handles the issues in their area of coverage.

Hope this helps. I am back in Serbia now and if you want PM me and I will give you my email and cell number.

Have a great day.

Dale

Howdy Cowboy,

I'm planning on getting married there in August. I was wondering how you got your birth certificate translated?

Oh wow, that is so so helpful! Can't thank you enough. I'm sure I'll be back with follow up questions. Ha thanks again!!

Hello how are you ? I have a question I'm contemplating in marrying my serbian gf by next week I'm traveling to belgrade on monday with a tourist visa i want to ask you based on your experience. Is the procedure fast ? I have all the documents needed for marriage but I've heard by some people that it might take time to get a specific date to get married. And i want to ask you when we get married can i immediately change the tourist visa and make it into a temporary visa in order to stay with my wife ?

akaylindsay wrote:

Howdy Cowboy,

I'm planning on getting married there in August. I was wondering how you got your birth certificate translated?

What was the answer to the question above? I'm planning on getting married and need my birth cert translated as well :)

How do I get someone to translate my birth certificate in Serbia, Bor area specifically? Want to get married there in May or June 2022.

There are certified translators here. Costs around 10 to 15 dollars a page.

Thank you very much. Can we have the name of you Airbnb? Do you know how far the city of Bor would be from you Airbnb location?

Hi,  My Brazilian girlfriend and I (Indian) are planning to get married in Serbia this summer. But I don't have a birth certificate. I was not born in India- Long story!!

What is an alternative document accepted in Serbia as proof of age instead of a birth certificate? 

I am also planning to open an office and move my business and residence to Serbia.. should I get married after i do this? Will it help in the case of not having a birth certificate for the marriage?

Thanks in advance

Richard Brookes
Hi Richard Brookes,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that this discussion is dated and hence our members may not get back to you.
I invite you to create a new discussion on the Serbia forum where you are more than welcome to share your queries and doubts.

You can also read the Living in Serbia guide where may find valuable information.

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]
Closed