Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

Pat officially welcome and JOB WELL DONE.  Do let us know the lawyer you used as we can always use another recommendation to pass on.

Bob K

Let me guess, up towards La Catalina, but keep to the right?
Tom

Thanks Bob.
I highly recommend
LICDA. ILONKA HOLT
Immigration Lawyer
residencydr.com

Tom, Yes - LaCatalina - but I'm not sure about keeping to the right. I get a little lost up there on those twisty winding roads but it sounds like you know the area. It's lovely - I wish the roads had names so I could tell you where it is.

Welcome Patti
Congratulations !! Takes some time to get done..but a great feeling once all finished.Hope all goes well in your dream retirement!! keep in mind if you are shipping household goods and would like the exemption..as I recall ,you have 6 months after receiving your new Residency to take advantage of that!
2 years for us..give or take a bit..and still loving it. So many wonderful places yet to see!!

OK, so does anybody out there know:
What about ex-pats from countries other than Haiti
that have registered for temp. residency & are
in the middle of getting all documents?
And also, after getting all of them but being told there were
some doc's not complete or correct?
Therefore, "in the process".
I have an Italian/Canadian friend in this situation.

I do have a question too today.. My fiancé and I were both born in France. We have been living in the US for several decades. I have a US and French passport and he has a green card . Do our birth certificates from France need to be apostilled in France or can it be done in the US?
Thanks for the help.

That question is beyond me.  You might check with the Dominican Consulate in the US>

Bob K

it can be done where you currently live. That is what my lawyer friend just told me.

Thank you very much Bob K, and Planner for your answers.

You are welcome and hopefully it helps

Bob K

I'm a American who considered retiring to the DR.........think I will only vaca there.

Thanks1

Mike

What changed your mind?

Remember your tourist visa is only good for 30 days

Bob K

Does every expat have to take the steps for residency?  What if we don't  ? Do we eventually face deportation  ?

The gov't has recently  enacted legislation to stop expats from just showing up and staying.  Right now we are not sure what will happen but very soon we will know. 

Come and stay a month or two. You like it get residency.  THe cost of residency and qualifications here are much much easier then most places!!!!

Too much red tape.

Planner is correct.  The day is coming that you will need to get your residency if you are here full time of face deportation.

Same as in the US... No green card... adios!

Bob K

Thank you

You are welcome

Bob K

There is still nothing to stop you from coming here a month or so
at a time & paying a pittance each time you go home.
Wherever that may be.
It is a beautiful Island with lots to offer,
especially..... NO SNOW!

I have lived down hear off and on for two years. I don't live in Santo Domingo with the rich and famous. I live in Mao and finding a lawyer is easy, paying $1000.00 to $2000.00 dollars just for a rertirement visa is not worth the trouble for bad electric and bad water. if I could get a lawyer that spoke English and wasn't a theft I might consider a visa, meanwhile I comfortable going out of the country on my vacations to San Juan, Rio, San Jose, and Panama!! :top: these people want a lot of paper work for dirt.

where can I get a lawyer? And more important, How much dose one of these guys charge just to translate and mail documents. I'm in Mao. so traveling accross the Island is O.k.

It depends what you need done!

The electricity and water is not "bad". There just isn't any at times :)

What is irritating is the cover hole for the underground concrete sistern is in the driveway. Just under the car that is leaking oil on it 24/7.

Lawyer who speaks English Wilson Rood. [email protected]

Please correct me if I am wrong...if you apply for residency and receive your application confirmation you are legal to stay in the country why the process proceeds.  Is that correct?

If anyone is going to ship a container out from the USA with the residency tax exclusion, and has extra room,  can you let me know? I want to ship out my motorcycle and this is really the only way to do it without paying crazy customs fees.

Thanks.

DominicanadaMike that is my understanding.  Many years ago we actually flew out and back on those papers and no tourist card required.

Bob K

As of November 2014, the rules have changed for Americans. Dominicans are protesting in Washington to get our welfare money set-up for poor Americans and disabled persons. So now the Dominicans have cut the visitor time from 90 days to 60 days, with $ 100.00 dollars fines there ather. This is not peanuts.!!!

You are incorrect Army101.  They did NOT change for Americans they changed for everyone.  There is NO singling out And the tourist visa is 30 days.

Amy you are so wrong.  And in fact for a 1-3 months over stay the fee is $2500RD or $55.55 USD and for 3-9 months it is $4000RD or about $88.88 USD.  Not sure where  you get the $100 from.

You can avoid the whole mess by either leaving when your 30 visitors visa is up, Apply for a longer work visa, or get your residency.

Bob K

your right.everyone is paying for US arrogants.

I'll tell you what Bob, things work different in Santiago. I paid 4000 for 93 days in August. got the slip to prove it.

First of all it has NOTHING to do with Americans.  Period. 

Second do the math. When you go over the tourist visa the overstay starts counting from day 1 not day 31!  Your  overstay find is CORRECT!  93 days is OVER  3 months therefor the fine is correct.  (Okay you are totally forgiven for not knowing that part, It screws up most people.

Thanks, my oversight.

DCMIKE:
Yes you can stay here & wait while until
they send you your green card.
YES, it's green, the Temp. Res. card.

Does anybody know anyone that has actually got theirs yet????
Also, your "overstay fees" will be written off once you get your card,
I was told. Now, if you leave before you get your card, I dunno.
All my stuff was done maybe 4-5 months ago.
Was told "soon".

Thanks for that info Tomas...

Hi Planner, you gave a great breakdown for the normal residency VISA application, what makes the retirement special status VISA different?  It would be great if you could explain the process as I believe many people on an "Expat" forum would be in this position.

Thanks,

M

Good question.  I will investigate BUT  I believe  you simply  need to prove proof of "retirement income"  either  pensions, investments etc  that add to the required amounts.  I will post more info.

RETIREMENT VISA

I've looked it up and it appears initial steps are all the same.  What is different:

Proof of income  -  1 person  US 1500 a month or equivalent,  2 persons is  US  2,0000 for a Pension income

Income of an annuity ( ie personal pension plan etc)  requires  US 2000 a month for one person. I believe this goes up for more then one person as well to  US 2,500

You need to show proof -  for example letter from employer stating  years worked and when you left or from the gov't if you have a gov't pension.

For  other proof of income you will  need to provide investment statements,  leases etc to qualify.   AND the income needs to be monthly!

I believe -  you do not need the guarantors letter.  But I need to confirm this. More info at http://www.consuladord.com/pdfs/RESIDENCIA_pension.pdf

Planner that is what I thought.  When we applied as retired 10 years ago we just had to prove income.

Bob K

Yup but with all the other documents from home still.......yikes

Closed