New Company, for better or for worse?

I have been living in Dubai for about 8 years, and like most expats, I am looking to find better opportunities.  I have worked for three different companies before and am now starting on my fourth.  It has always been the same story everytime.  I only wanted something better, we all do, don't we?  Since I don't have a degree in college, I got stuck with the 2000 salary barrier which was not bad but then I started wanting something better.  That was mostly the reason why I did not renew my previous contracts.  I have worked for a coffeeshop, a bank and a manufacturing company... Now I've  started work with a restaurant.   
The thing is, I always end up working for superficial bosses.  Good on the outside and freaking I don't know what on a later time.  I know I have done nothing but work hard and it pains me not to be recognized for my efforts and even hurts me more when I get recognized but then pulled back by colleagues.  I guess it's what they call crab mentality.

To cut it short, I am now working for a restaurant under a higher position and with better pay, but it has been more than a month and I still don't have a visa and my previous visa got expired for 20/days now and nobody even wants to tell me whether I am waiting for something or if I'm just wasting time waiting for nothing.  Now my previous boss called me and said that my passport will be surrendered to the police because if not they will have problems of their own. 

I don't know what to do, I don't know who to talk to, I have asked my boss and PRO and all they say is not to worry.  I have been nothing else BUT worried!!!  Maybe this is my karma for always asking for something more, now I'm stuck with another dilemma, new company, is it for better or for worse?!

Hello There,

I see we share a couple of things in common. Well, I have been here for almost a year now. I quite understand you to a certain level even though I have not been here for as long as you are and judging by the way I am seeing things and all the testimonies I have received so far from different races here in UAE, I do not think I will be here for that long. As long as you are not at a managerial position and working in a company where you have people from your own race then believe me, you're in for a huge surprise (Speaking from an African working with Indians point of view). I am the kind of person who doesn't wait for things to happen to him before he learns, I learn from people's testimonies.
With regards to most of your experience and salary structure, I would say it is almost the same everywhere in the world. Many employers place high regards for someone with a college degree. But sadly, I have seen so many with degrees who dont get paid well and end working like donkeys for their employers; no incentive, no appreciation whatsoever. If you ask me, I would say working in the U.A.E is nothing more than modern day slavery, PERIOD!
As regarding your visa status, I will suggest you put more pressure on you new employer to do the needful so as to avoid any problems that might arise; especially with your past employer going to report you. I dont need to remind you of how harsh these employers get when you leave their company and join a new one. Cheers