Top 5 tips to live in Lebanon

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Lebanon.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Lebanon?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Lebanon!

Thank you in advance :)

I'm American and have lived in Lebanon for a year and a half.  I feel totally at home now.  Here are my top five tips:
1. Don't buy a car right away.  Spend the first few months driving around in a taxi or with a friend.  If you're from a Western country, you will need a transition time where you can learn the feeling of driving here; there is a certain ebb and tide to the way traffic works, and none of it can be found in a written driving manual.  Just let someone else do the driving for the first few months, and you'll catch on quickly.
2. Be adventurous about trying new foods.  If you determine to stick to American favorites, you'll be disappointed that you can't find the exact ingredients for grandma's favorite meatloaf recipe.  Determine not just to try, but to LIKE new foods.  Once your tastebuds gain a liking for zaatar, mint, and potato sandwiches, you'll never miss a thing from back home.
3. Every neighborhood has a Lebanese know-it-all; find him/her and make good friends.  I don't mean a "know-it-all" as in a serial gossiper, I mean a master networker who knows exactly how life in Lebanon works.  Chances are, you'll take years to figure out who the most honest mechanic is, where to go to get your Lebanese driver's license, and the process of renewing your residency.  Make friends with someone who already knows; it's much easier.
4. Arrive with a hospitable spirit.  The Lebanese are all about relationships; a cold, unfriendly new neighbor (maybe you) could discourage anyone from making further friendly visits.  No matter how tired you are the day after moving in, don't refuse to visit a neighbor and have a drink together.  Keep up this attitude throughout your entire stay!  The Lebanese really love to socialize, and if you get into the action quick, you'll be sure to stay.
5. Don't let fear keep you in your living room.  Go and explore around town, even if the mall security guard asks you to open your purse so they can check for explosive materials.  Sure, there are a few places worth avoiding (see a very useful map of where to go and not go: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon) but most places are ok.  Most people are just normal individuals trying to live a normal life.  So, stop and talk to someone on the sidewalk.  Go to the beach...and the mountain...and the souks.  Don't let the embassy warnings make you too terrified to LIVE. :)

Thank you for sharing these tips! I am moving to Lebanon in 2 weeks...I anxiously await my departure date. I found your advice extremely helpful and encouraging. I appreciate it very much! Shukran!!