A few questions...help an expatriate to get by with practical infos!

Hi

Glad I found this site. Up till now I didn't know much about life in Algiers and with a possible move I wanted to get as much information as possible. I looked through the photos and am surprised how lovely Algeria is.

My main concern is safety, how safe is it for a female walking about, going to shops, gym etc?

How good is the internet speed? I can't live without Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy and Coronation Street  :D

We are not into clubbing but do like to go out for a meal and a few drinks, does most restaurants serve alcohol or is alcohol confined to hotels only ?( have lived in 3 other muslim countries and all have different rules).

Most important question of all can you get fast food McDonalds, KFC etc much needed for the nights after a few drinks  :top:

Thanks for any replies in advance

Welcome to Algeria .  :)  concerning safety it is safe for a woman to walk around alone but try to avoid empty isolated corners . And remember to bring light clothing in the summer cuz it is hot most of the time .

Hello,

Algeria and most of its big cities are safe, other than the shady areas, just like any other country in the world. A woman would be safe to go to any of those places, but while walking in the street you may hear some stuff from young men and you should do what most women do here, ignore them.

Algeria has decent internet, the fastest you could get at home is 2mbs meaning the actual download speed is 240 kbs/ sec, but that shouldn't be a problem for movies/tv shows. I personally use torrents to download them. (No netflix here though)

As for the alcohol it's not found in all restaurants, but most restaurant in downtown Algiers for instance offer it. There are some nice bars around too, it all depends on where you'll be staying.

Sadly, no real fast food chains here. My big disappointment when I first moved here, but the alternate is also good as there are a lot of local fast food joints which offer good food.

All in all, Algeria is a nice place to live in especially with all the scenery and beautiful nature, but it may be boring for some. It honestly depends on your tastes.

I hope this helps you somehow :)

Thanks Nabiloh for your replies.

Sounds like Algiers will be safe enough for me to get around

I use a vpn where I live at the moment and get Netflix through that. I also use Apple Tv and its great but you do need a good download speed.

Ha ha and here's me thinking that McDonalds were everywhere. Oh well its not like I eat fast food often but sometimes you just need junk food.

There is a fast food restaurant near me, Birmonde Rais.....used to be called Tiber food,it's changed names but generally the same food,they do deep fried chicken and it's really good!!!                         Traveling as a woman alone depends where you will be living..I live in Hydra,so it's no problem but certain areas I would not go alone..